Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment on this "Ultimate Spider-Man" episide!

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll

2 25.00%
  • ****1/2

0 0%

4 50.00%
  • ***1/2

0 0%

1 12.50%
  • **1/2

1 12.50%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Good, solid episode. It was really cool to see the Guardians even though I'm a completely new fan, only having read Bendis' new relaunch. I was disappointed that the Guardians didn't do much except for fighting, therefore we didn't really get to see much of their personalities with the exception of Rocket Raccoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Medinnus View Post
    Disappointing ending. I wish Nova would have stayed with the Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Same. And since he didn't, they could have at least given us a teary-eyed goodbye between him and the Guardians instead of wasting time trying to fake us out.

Star-Lord's recitation of the great heroes of Earth included Captain Marvel - so are we talking Mar-Vell, Genis-Vell, Minica Rambeau, or Carol Danvers? One wonders, although I presume Carol Danvers. Shame she hasn't guest-starred anywhere yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite-bit View Post
    Gamora was voiced by Tia Taxada she played the lady on the subway in the "Amazing Spider-Man" movie.
    According to the credits it was Nika Futterman who voiced Gamora.

Frontier is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It certainly sounded like Nika Futterman.

While certainly not a bad episode, I wasn't surprised to find that out of the Team-focus episodes, Nova's was the weakest in my opinion.

It doesn't help that the episode barely really focused on Nova at all. Not a single moment spent relaying his origins, why he came to Earth, why he's a jerk to everybody but the Guardians, or even a moment where his friendship with Spidey is put to the test and deepens at the end of the episode. I think it says a lot about the Spidey/Nova relationship that at the end they only shook hands and didn't hug it out like the other members of the Team did. I can't even say Nova grew in this episode like the other Team members did, because he really didn't.

I was a bit surprised that Bendis wrote this episode. Not because it didn't make sense, because considering his involvement with their modern incarnation I can see why he'd want to write the episode. It's like in the Guardians' appearance in EMH, where the episode was written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. But what surprised me is that I thought for sure he'd be writing the Luke Cage episode that's next week considering his love of the character and the involvement of Scorpio. Not that there's really anything stopping him, but I'm not expecting Bendis to write two episodes in a row.

The Guardians as a whole were pretty cool, both in action and design wise. But aside from Rocket Raccoon and to a degree Star Lord, I wish the episode had spent more time showing us what they were like as characters instead of just having Nova tell us about them. It struck me as lazy storytelling, and I felt the EMH appearance of the Guardians did a better job of introducing them.

But the real star of this episode was most definitely Groot. I was unsure about him at first when he was in that pot, even a little disappointed, but it was all redeemed by the end. I think I can say Michael Clarke Duncan wasn't wasted here as I feared he would be. Groot was indeed awesome. Though the "I am Groot" at the end was a little unnecessary.

There were some legitimately funny jokes, par for the course of a Bendis penned episode, though I still don't think any of his episodes have beaten the Wolverine team up in terms of quality.

So can I say I like Nova now anymore than I did before, as was the case with previous Team-focus episodes? No, not really. In fact I was actually happy when I thought he was staying with the Guardians, and was immediately disappointed to learn it was a fake-out. Still, a decent episode of Ultimate Spider-Man is better than nothing in my mind.
    Last edited by Frontier; 07-22-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Was unaware of Korvac's true origins.

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm disappointed with what they did with Korvac. He's basically Korvac in name only, and far from the villain he was in the comics or in EMH. There had to have been someone better Bendis could've chose to be the leader of the Chitauri.
    Actually, this version of Korvac is the original, first introduced in 1975 in Giant-Size Defenders #3. He was an anti-Badoon warlord from 2977 AD who'd had his lower half replaced with a weapons platform, so it made perfect sense for him to use the Chitauri as thugs, more or less. The later evolution of Korvac into the Korvac cosmic-powered fellow was a later evolution of the character, who was, to use your own words, "Korvac" in name only and a perfect example of how some writers essentially change enough about a character to make it a different character (and how annoying it is).

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rocket Raccoon was way more developed and had a lot more to do here unlike in his first animated appearance on Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Tremendous episode overall. This Korvac appearance was also not unlike his storyline in the Captain America story, Extreme Prejudice. He was more of an armored dictator there as well.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Frontier is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medinnus View Post
    Actually, this version of Korvac is the original, first introduced in 1975 in Giant-Size Defenders #3. He was an anti-Badoon warlord from 2977 AD who'd had his lower half replaced with a weapons platform, so it made perfect sense for him to use the Chitauri as thugs, more or less. The later evolution of Korvac into the Korvac cosmic-powered fellow was a later evolution of the character, who was, to use your own words, "Korvac" in name only and a perfect example of how some writers essentially change enough about a character to make it a different character (and how annoying it is).
    Huh. My apologies to the creative team then.

And wholeheartedly agreed on that last statement.

Darth_Cygnus is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good episode.
    The Guardians had nice designs, good fighting scenes and great voices. Rocket Raccoon and Groot were awesome. Their interactions with Spidey were well done.
    Seeing the Chitauri and Korvac here was cool.

Unlike Ava and Danny, Sam didnīt grow as a character. The most interesting thing is that Rocket is his mentor (awesome Yoda/Luke scene). Nova has the heart and powers of a hero but he needs to work on his attitude.
    Funny enough I was also disappointed (like many others) when Nova decided to stay on Earth. Could have been the opportunity to have a new recruit join the team.

Darth Cygnus

bigdaddy313 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Cygnus View Post
    Good episode.
    The Guardians had nice designs, good fighting scenes and great voices. Rocket Raccoon and Groot were awesome. Their interactions with Spidey were well done.
    Seeing the Chitauri and Korvac here was cool.

Unlike Ava and Danny, Sam didnīt grow as a character. The most interesting thing is that Rocket is his mentor (awesome Yoda/Luke scene). Nova has the heart and powers of a hero but he needs to work on his attitude.
    Funny enough I was also disappointed (like many others) when Nova decided to stay on Earth. Could have been the opportunity to have a new recruit join the team.

Darth Cygnus
    From what I am hearing a new girl is joining the team.

Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know that it was done because the Chitauri were originally Skrull with a different name but I don't like the way the LA movie and this show portray them. They have a cool zombie/mummy like designs but are pretty much the grunts of the galaxy.

Yeah Nova did not grow as a character. All we know is that he acts different around kids his own age then he does with adults. He kind of reminds me of beastboy from the Teen Titans cartoon that was who was much more mature when Doom Patrol shown up.

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy313 View Post
    From what I am hearing a new girl is joining the team.
    Really. Where are you hearing this?
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

Infinite-bit is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    According to the credits it was Nika Futterman who voiced Gamora.

Funny the Ultimate Spider-Man wiki credits Tia Taxada as Gamora and looking up Futterman's and Taxada's Imdb pages neither of them were credited as Gamora.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast