toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - USM "The Sinister Six"

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll

2 18.18%
  • ****1/2

1 9.09%

2 18.18%
  • ***1/2

1 9.09%

2 18.18%
  • **1/2

0 0%

1 9.09%
  • *1/2

0 0%

1 9.09%
  • 1/2

1 9.09%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bigdaddy313 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

From what I have gathered IMO I believe this was not the original episode order. One of the reasons is because when they talked about the late Michael Clarke Duncan, they said he did the voice over for groot in the second episode from Marvel.com at they time last year. So probably when they are talking about the training in the beginning of the episodes, originally the where far apart from eath other like how last season was. But by putting the episodes together leading to the sinister six, it feels like a flow of a story plot kind of thing.

[top]

Infinite-bit is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy313 View Post
    Don't use Infamous as an example if he touches water it hurts
    Actually puddles don't really hurt Cole. But I remember reading the Marvel wiki on Electro he did use to have the ability to manipulate electromagnetic fields to the point where he can vaporize water before it touches him so maybe this incarnation has that same ability only to a lesser degree. But wouldn't that turn the water into steam as he walks?
    Last edited by Infinite-bit; 02-18-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    pretty much, it can be a small animation mistake forgetting about the steam it happens

Frontier is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Sinister Six finally debut on Ultimate Spider-Man! Is it worth the wait?

No, not really.

I'll admit to have been hyped about this episode. I liked 5/6 of the characters being used for the six (sorry Electro), and the potential for a team vs. Sinister Six fight made me think we were in for a great conclusion. Unfortunately, the episode was mired by the problems plaguing the show on a daily basis. Bad writing, extreme suspension of disbelief, and attempts at telling a good story that only fall flat.

First and foremost, I don't think it was a wise creative decision to introduce the Six after five straight episodes introducing or showcasing them. It takes the impact out of seeing these villains back and banded together again after immediately having met them all. Take Spectacular for instance, the members of its version of the Six debuted close together, but by the time the group formed they had been out of the series long enough to where when they broke out of prison and came after Spidey, it had more meaning.

As for the Six as a whole, I don't think they were used effectively. Doc Ock isn't really a surprise as the sixth member, though promos for the episode certainly didn't help. I wish they had used another villain other than Rhino, because this episode goes completely against the ending of his debut episode where Alex seemed sorry for what he did and seemed willing to get help. Here he's just a dumb thug who wants more rhino serum, and the show doesn't even bother trying to bring up how he's a sympathetic villain. I wish I could say I cared about the Conners/Lizard story, but he's appeared so sporadically that I find it hard to grow attached to him. It doesn't help that Spidey could easily have taken him out of the fight if he had bothered to get the device on his neck. Not much to say about Beetle, Kraven, and Electro. They were kinda just there. Overall, I'd say this is definitely the most underwhelming version of the Six.

If I had to say something positive about the episode, it's that the action is pretty much still top notch. Ultimate Spider-Man still has that going for it. I especially really liked the fight between Spider-Man and the Six outside the Statue of Liberty. Spidey really held his own there. He even ripped off the Lizard's tail! But of course, this being a team show, there was no way they could have him just beat them all on his own.

The Team vs. Sinister Six fight was just disappointing though. They came up with a simple and overused solution, switching opponents, and somehow that let them beat the Six. Kraven being beaten by Power Man I can understand, even if Kraven was able to take him out before in his debut episode. Electro going down against White Tiger I don't really buy. I mentioned before in Rhino's debut episode that Nova could probably have been effective against Rhino, but I didn't think he'd be that effective. It kinda makes sidelining the rest of the Team for the Rhino episode pretty pointless. Even a 9-year old (thanks to Medinnus) could point out how wrong Iron Fist beating Beetle is. All of these characters on their own, well aside from Rhino, were able to give the entire Team a good run for their money, and now they're reduced in power for the sake of the plot. The only fight that wasn't really disappointing was Spidey vs. Doc Ock and Lizard. And I'm being nice with that one.

This episode could've been one of Ultimate Spider-Man's best, but in the end it was ruined by the show's faults. I think the creators just can't see the distinction between writing for kids, and writing down to kids and that's making the show suffer. Is Jeph Loeb partly to blame? I think so. But I feel the entire creative team has a part in why the show is not reaching its full potential, especially when they deflect all criticism, valid or otherwise, with "it's just a cartoon" which really doesn't work as an excuse anymore. I can only hope that after this the show can go back to the Obsorn storyline and bring back Green Goblin, so that the series can hopefully get back some semblance of quality.

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrewolf View Post
    This episode could've been one of Ultimate Spider-Man's best, but in the end it was ruined by the show's faults. I think the creators just can't see the distinction between writing for kids, and writing down to kids and that's making the show suffer. Is Jeph Loeb partly to blame? I think so. But I feel the entire creative team has a part in why the show is not reaching its full potential, especially when they deflect all criticism, valid or otherwise, with "it's just a cartoon" which really doesn't work as an excuse anymore. I can only hope that after this the show can go back to the Obsorn storyline and bring back Green Goblin, so that the series can hopefully get back some semblance of quality.
    Well, let me see if I can channel an Apologist's point of view.

From a business perspective, assuming you have no actual love for the character and see the show solely as the means to an end, the show is wildly successful with its target demographic. Shows with quality like AEMH may have had better ratings, but not with the target audience, the key demographic. USM did exceedingly well with that demographic (IIRC better than AEMH did), so from the exploitative, business-oriented target marking point of view, the show is doing precisely what it is meant to do.

For the most part, the people here are not the target audience - we're fans of animation, of good stories, cohesiveness, and the characters. We have different tastes - how not? - but for the most part, its not SURPRISING that USM doesn't play well here, where shows like Legend of Korra, Young Justice, and AEMH are for the most part well-received. We are an older audience, with more sophisticated taste than the 6-14 target audience of USM. Some of us find the show entertaining for its whimsy (that's my name for the fall-flat humor, chibis, etc, but just because I think its bad doesn't mean others don't enjoy it - more power to them!). others think its a travesty worse than "Avengers: United They Stand" (not me - I think USM is much better that A:UTS, although that's really darning it with faint praise).

For what its meant to do, its doing it well. Its not what we want it to be, perhaps, and we can decry what we see as a wasted opportunity, but lets not be petty and claim it doesn't do what its crafted to do - appeal to the 6-14 Boys age group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does EMHS have a target demo?

dmxx116 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy313 View Post
    Does EMHS have a target demo?
    I think Leob don't want to show EMH target demo ratings it might be better then Ultimate Spider-Man.
    http://www.myspace.com/miller346 http://foxspideyfansite.yolasite.com/
    Iron Man:TAS fan group:http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...06462196057553
    Batman: I suppose it's useless to tell you to leave.
    Superman: I wouldn't miss this for anything.
    Batman: Your funeral.
    Superman: Already had one.

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The target demos for Earth's Mightiest Heroes are the same as Ultimate Spider-Man and pretty much all the shows on Disney XD. For 2012, Ultimate Spider-Man was #1 for Disney XD in the main target demo ratings.

I enjoyed the Sinister Six episode. I appreciated that they at least acknowledged that the Lizard knows who Spider-Man is and he was fighting with himself to resist revealing his identity. I think that's the dangerous thing about Spider-Man working through SHIELD. All of his secrets are wide out in the open for any villain to infiltrate and figure out.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Try as I may, in this case, I really can't help myself from comparing this to Spectacular Spider-Man. Probably because in that case I really felt the Sinister Six had distinct personalities and motivations and worked well playing off each other. In this case, it was a definite case of the team diminishing the individual. Wouldn't working with a team feel like a cheat for a man like Kraven? Why is Alex back as the Rhino and why don't Spider-Man or Powerman seem to care? Considering Beetle doesn't talk (and Spidey doesn't even waste his breath on him), he's not a good substitute for the Vulture.

However, I was able to turn my brain off and enjoy the fight. Because it was pretty cool, even if it ignored what we know about these characters (I expected White Tiger to bite Spider-Man's head off when he told her to stop fighting Kraven, but all she said was she's busy).

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy View Post
    Also, all the scenes where Spider-Man tried reasoning with Lizard annoyed me. JUST DESTROY THE DEVICE ON HIS NECK! OR THE CONTROLLER THAT OCK IS HOLDING! Man, for being really smart, Peter can be dumb sometimes.
    Yeah, why didn't Spider-Man aim for those? Why didn't Ock interfere? Why didn't Spider-Man call for SHIELD too when he jumped onto that helicopter? ::brain off brain off brain off::

Quote Originally Posted by Medinnus View Post
    SON: Dad, why is the fight taking so long?
    DAD: What do you mean?
    SON: Well, Electro was a threat for the whole team. The Lizard was a threat for the whole team. The Rhino...
    DAD: I get the picture. Its called "jobbing", when you write one side of a fight to make the other side look more powerful.
    SON: So, were the good guys jobbed in the other episodes, or are the bad guys being jobbed here?
    Heh, there comes a time in every father's life where he has to explain that to his son.

For the most part, the people here are not the target audience - we're fans of animation, of good stories, cohesiveness, and the characters. We have different tastes - how not? - but for the most part, its not SURPRISING that USM doesn't play well here, where shows like Legend of Korra, Young Justice, and AEMH are for the most part well-received. We are an older audience, with more sophisticated taste than the 6-14 target audience of USM. Some of us find the show entertaining for its whimsy (that's my name for the fall-flat humor, chibis, etc, but just because I think its bad doesn't mean others don't enjoy it - more power to them!).
    Yeah, that's true. I remember a survey Nickelodeon, I think, did with a group of kids about what their favorite superhero show was...must've been seven or eight years ago...and Teen Titans beat JLU by a pretty wide margin.
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

Roxas_Sora is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have seen the episode, and I have some comments to do:
    + The beginning of the episode is wrong. They should have explained how Dr Octopus managed to gather his "Sinister Six" and convinced them to work for him. First, Alex (Rhino's human self) was supposed to have "reformed" at the end of his episode. Why did he returned to the villain's way? (I read because he's addicted to the rhino's serum, but I thought SHIELD would have antidotes against drug's addictions and stuff). Second, how was Electro "re-powered" into his "ultimate form"? In his debut's episode, he returned to his classic self after being defeated. Besides, in this episode, "Ultimate Electro" seemed way less powerful. And how did Beetle and Kraven escape from SHIELD's custody? They should have explained all this. At the end of the episode, with all the villains in their cells, it could have been the perfect explanation to how the villains met; until Doc Ock managed to get them out of prison.
    + Honestly, I don't wonder how it was possible to Spiderman to hold the fight on by himself against the Sinister Six at the beginning. I mean, if he has been training with his team in "One vs All" situations since some time ago, then he has enough experience to win (or at least survive) these situations. Expecially since his first battle with the Frightful Four (Wizard, Klaw and Thundra) in the first episode of the series. Besides, Spidey has used the classic extrategy against the Sinister Six; they don't know how to fight as a team, so he uses the villain's attacks against each others. That way, the villains would fight to each other and they wouldn't pay attention to Spiderman.

+ Thank Goodness they allow Spidey to use the classic strategy of using water against the villains and let Electro zaps all of them. It was unavoidable, considering they were in a underwater lair. (By the way, why didn't Electro think about this when Doc Ock took them while they wait for Spidey?) Which I still don't understand is why it only happened when Electro was completely submerged in water and while he only has his feet on the water, it didn't happen anything.
    + I already mentioned my ideas of the matches between both teams, but I thought the good guys could won't this way. I admit I was wrong, because switching oponents was a smart idea. Nova has the advantage of flight and fire power against Rhino, Kraven's knifes are not a problem for Power Man... etc. Octopus was right about it, battle against your "counterpart" was too obvious to work in your favor. But I guess fighting fire with fire tends to be the better solution sometimes.

+ Honestly, for being such a "brilliant genius", Octopus proves himself to be a completely idiot over and over. First, revenge against Spidey? Please!!! Spiderman is maybe irritating and he's the one who always defeat him, but Spidey is only "doing his job". It was Norman Osborn who ruined his life and caused most of his miseries, so he should be focused on taking revenge against Norman Osborn/the Green Goblin; not Spidey!!! And unmask Spiderman? What a stupidhead!! With all the times he have had Spidey's DNA in his arms (all of them), how didn't he think in using it to discover his real identity before creating monsters like Venom or the Green Goblin? I mean, there's DNA Tests nowadays to discover these kind of things. That's also a reason because I suspect we will see an animated version of "The Clone Saga" in this series. I mean, just like in the comics, Doc Ock uses Spiderman's DNA to create Osborn's "army of Spider-Men" though clonation. And while the clones are "artificially aged" (as usual) he takes attention to their faces, trying to discover Spiderman's secret idntity. Don't you think is obvious?
    + I'm really feel sorry for Connors and his new situation, trapped inside the Lizard's self. I guess this will add some of the classic Spider-Drama to the series. I mean, the main drama in Spiderman's story is Uncle Ben, but it can't be the only one. They could have used Alex O'Hirn (Rhino's human self) for this drama too, you know?

Well, opinions?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    O'Hirn is an anagram of Rhino. Just saying.

Infinite-bit is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've already brought up the theory of how Electro was able to walk in ankle deep water.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think you can put a DNA sample in a computer and it just comes up - PETER PARKER unless his DNA sample under his name is already in some sort of system or database. It doesn't work that way. Sure he's in a SHIELD or Nick Fury database most likely but Doc Ock isn't going to have access to that. He's probably not under any police or criminal databases. So why would anyone have his DNA on file as Peter Parker?

-CM Punk

Freddy is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    I don't think you can put a DNA sample in a computer and it just comes up - PETER PARKER unless his DNA sample under his name is already in some sort of system or database. It doesn't work that way. Sure he's in a SHIELD or Nick Fury database most likely but Doc Ock isn't going to have access to that. He's probably not under any police or criminal databases. So why would anyone have his DNA on file as Peter Parker?
    But Dock Ock knew the school Spiderman was attending so could he just compare Spidey's DNA to every single male student in that school?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    But Dock Ock knew the school Spiderman was attending so could he just compare Spidey's DNA to every single male student in that school?
    I hate to poke a hole in your theory, but I doubt that the DNA of the students is registered.

Freddy is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hate to poke a hole in your theory, but I doubt that the DNA of the students is registered.
    Well considering how easy it was for Dr. Octopus to get DNA - sample from Spidey, it would probably be piece of cake to take some samples from regular students (+ from Spidey again). Sure it would take a while, but it would also be worth it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not really. He would need to basically do what McFist did on Randy Cunningham and get the snot out of every kid at the school at a pool party with his snot robot. How is someone like Doctor Octopus supposed to do that and be inconspicuous? It would be virtually impossible or take time I doubt he's willing to devote. How is he going to sneak around a high school that has a SHIELD agent as the principal and also some level of SHIELD equipment and devices around it?

Interestingly enough, Peter Parker confronted the Sinister Six without his powers once in the 1990's series and they did unmask him. Doctor Octopus thought it was all a ruse and refused to believe Parker was Spider-Man (in this continuity, Octopus was Peter's old teacher and the two had a bond of sorts).

-CM Punk

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Interestingly enough, Peter Parker confronted the Sinister Six without his powers once in the 1990's series and they did unmask him. Doctor Octopus thought it was all a ruse and refused to believe Parker was Spider-Man (in this continuity, Octopus was Peter's old teacher and the two had a bond of sorts).
    I'm pretty sure that was an adaption of one of Spidey and Doc Oct's earliest encounters.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I assume you are referring to this? http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1...n012_super.jpg

-CM Punk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was an adaption of one of Spidey and Doc Oct's earliest encounters.
    And a classic tale it was. Was the 1990's one of the Busiek re-treatments?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2