toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - AEMH "To Steal an Ant-man"

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll

17 54.84%
  • ****1/2

7 22.58%

5 16.13%
  • ***1/2

2 6.45%

0 0%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Even if the ratings are low isn't this information publicly released? Disney is a publicly traded company so don't they have an obligation to have this data be released? I guess the numbers are low which is why they don't want them reported but I should be able to go onto Nielsen and just find out what the numbers are.
    I don't know if they are required, but I betcha they're disclosed in advertser media kits... but even so, without context just the raw numbers are almost meaningless. They need to be compared with other similar shows on the Disney channel, and also placed against the other shows, preferably with day and time zone similarities. Also trending, and deltas over time. Otherwise, numbers are meaningless - like, say, comparing USM to NCIS.

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Although this was a great character episode with Hank, who continues to be one of the most surprising and least predictable characters on the show, I still thought the episode was a bit slow. Danny and Luke's interactions were fun, but they were fairly talky, and I didn't need to see that long explanation of Ant-Man's powers. For some reason, even the fight scenes seemed a little off.

Still, I've always been a fan of Scott Lang and was relieved it turned out to be him and not Erik O'Grady, which I feared. Loved seeing Cassie too. It's funny, Hank was both Ant-Man and Giant Man, but Scott's only up to the task of filling the Ant-Man role.

Quote Originally Posted by jph139 View Post
    Almost 100% sure that's The Scythe, from Marvel Premiere #16 (Iron Fist's second appearance).
    Man, for a second I thought that was Shang-Chi!

Quote Originally Posted by Medinnus View Post
    First of all, Captain America has his WWII legacy. Second, Iron Man has his track record. But really, those are secondary to what they've done in that year:

* Cleaned the Statue of Libery of Doughboy.
    * Put down a worldwide invasion.
    * Saved Las Vegas and the rest of the world from being "green with envy" of the Hulk.
    * Put down a gang war between AIM and Hydra
    * Put down Graviton, who was literally ripping apart NYC
    * Stopped a worldwide perpetual winter.

These are high-profile, very public wins - and that's just the ones the general public knows about.
    I had thought it odd the Avengers are so respected/talked about too, and Cap and Thor are kind of new to this modern era, but considering the fact that SOMEONE had to take down all those villains and the Avengers are on top of it now, it makes sense that they'd rise to prominence above even the Fantastic Four.
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't know if they are required, but I betcha they're disclosed in advertser media kits... but even so, without context just the raw numbers are almost meaningless. They need to be compared with other similar shows on the Disney channel, and also placed against the other shows, preferably with day and time zone similarities. Also trending, and deltas over time. Otherwise, numbers are meaningless - like, say, comparing USM to NCIS.
    I want all that data but for some reason it's nowhere to be found.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    I want all that data but for some reason it's nowhere to be found.
    I suspect that public release of the information without a NDA would potentially affect advertising rates.

Honestly, I don't think AEMH was ever about the ratings, though - I think it was a marketing tool used by Disney to build brand awareness of the Avengers and the constituent heroes. In the past, for the majority of the time, the two brands Marvel pushed was Spider-Man and the X-Men, with multiple animated series and attendent toy lines each. Sure, Hulk got some exposure, and the FF and Iron Man/Force Works, but comparatively X-Men and Spidey had several times the exposure, and successful movie franchises.

Iron Man did well, and Hulk not so well, relatively speaking; building the Avengers brand for the movie and its third-party revenues has been a multi-year strategy, and approving the Avengers for two seasons sight-unseen was more of a marketing move than an attempt to create a revenue stream - hence no toys, no real third-party merchandise. They basically wanted to build the franchise so that the movie licenses would pay off big-time.

Ratings would be nice, of course, but the real money is in the third-party licensing, and AEMH essentially has none.

Locke is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I honestly groaned when I saw it was an Ant-Man centred episode 'Ant-Man: The least interesting Avenger' - how do they manage to make a guy that can turn into a giant so boring?

But I fangasmed at the Heroes for Hire cameo and enjoyed the episode thoroughly from that point forwards.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, I asked Josh Fine if he could confirm that the two alley thugs were Scythe and Mangler, and he said:

Yep, that's Scythe and the other one is Mangler. Interesting story behind this episode... Chris and I knew without question that we were going to find a way to get the Heroes For Hire into this season, and I thought connecting them to the "To Steal an Ant-Man" story (Scott Lang's origin) from Marvel Premiere #47-48 would be a good way to do it. I always loved that story, and actually, as one of the best showcases of Ant-Man's powers, it was one of the books we looked to for inspiration when working on Hank's micro-episodes in Season 1.

Originally we were also trying to get Mad Thinker to be the villain of an episode, and we thought at first that this would be the episode to do it. But as we tried to lay out the story, there was just way too much going on--trying to give Hank his arc, giving the Heroes For Hire enough focus, but keeping the bulk of the attention on Scott Lang's emotional story, while also trying to juggle a crazy Super-Villain plot with Mad Thinker and Awesome Andy.

Eventually we realized that the weakest link (well... least essential to the story anyway) was Thinker. Chris had the idea of using Crossfire as the main villain instead, and just simplifying the villain thread to more of a street-level, organized crime angle. (Trivia Nod: Scott Lang's original foe in the books was a different dude named Cross.) This was one of the two changes that mad the whole episode finally gel (the other was a structural tweak that gave us an up-close look at the Ant-Man suit's capabilities leading into the reveal that Hank was giving all this info to the H4H.) Using Cross allowed us to tie the villain thread back to Scott's emotional story, which let us keep the focus there, where it belonged, and it also helped us highlight the kinds of stories the H4H are best suited for--a noire-esque, street-level crime mystery.

This is a long way of explaining that when Chris finished this draft of the script, there was an action sequence at the end that had the H4H and Hank fighting a bunch of generic Crossfire thugs. Director Roy Burdine (who impressed me with every episode he directed, but perhaps none more than this one) wanted to add some more color to the action sequences. He dug through a bunch of old Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Heroes For Hire books and came up with a slew of classic, obscure villains (the vast majority of which, I admit, I had never heard of before.) This final touch just elevated the episode from what I thought was already pretty cool to one of my top 5 favorites of both seasons.

So that's the whole story! Feel free to share this with the boards or the mini-site if you want!
    I usually don't re-post private messages, but he did say I could!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, I asked Josh Fine if he could confirm that the two alley thugs were Scythe and Mangler, and he said:

I usually don't re-post private messages, but he did say I could!
    Thanks for the inside info, Medinnus! Hopefully as Season 2 goes on, we can maybe convince the esteemed Mr. Fine to answer even more questions!

Incidentally, the other dude named Cross was named Darren Cross, and it was actually later revealed that he was William's cousin! (My Essential Official Handbooks of the Marvel Universe are starting to get rather worn out...)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Speedbump View Post
    Thanks for the inside info, Medinnus! Hopefully as Season 2 goes on, we can maybe convince the esteemed Mr. Fine to answer even more questions!
    Well, usually I'd just wait for him to visit and post, but I wanted to get confirmation on it being Mangler rather than MMM. The anecdote was purely his doing, as was permission to post it here. Mr. Fine is a very gracious fellow!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Speedbump View Post
    Incidentally, the other dude named Cross was named Darren Cross, and it was actually later revealed that he was William's cousin! (My Essential Official Handbooks of the Marvel Universe are starting to get rather worn out...)
    This series will do that...

Mr. Hypocrite is offline Detective. Hero. Hypocrite.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So because Teletoon are a bunch of idiots (May the 4th be with you my butt!!!), I've only just watched this episode today.

Hank has a lot on his plate, and Jan really needs to learn to listen. She keeps choosing the worst possible time to be a jerk.

And Pow...Luke Cage and Iron Fist are awesome. I can't compare them to ultimate Spider-Man since I ain't seen that show yet, but I liked what I saw of them here.
    The Hypocrite Rises....

The Light is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was a great episode

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast