Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - Ultimate Spider-Man "Why I Hate Gym"

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll

5 23.81%
  • ****1/2

4 19.05%

5 23.81%
  • ***1/2

1 4.76%

4 19.05%
  • **1/2

1 4.76%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

1 4.76%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Agreed. I don't think this show will focus on the romance aspect. They are more likely to focus on the action for the kids, unfortunately.
    "With great power comes with great - Gullibility!" - The Spectacular Spider-Man

Reasons as to why TSSM was cancelled: http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/....php?qid=14223

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWay2008 View Post
    Agreed. I don't think this show will focus on the romance aspect. They are more likely to focus on the action for the kids, unfortunately.
    You're wrong. They're not focusing on action for the kids. "Kids" is a gender-neutral term. They're focusing on the action for the boys​. That's why there aren't many female characters in the series, either. White Tiger is the token girl on an otherwise all-boys team. Yeah there's Aunt May and Mary Jane but removing them is tantamount to heresy, though this show has minimized both of those characters to different degrees. Finally Thundara had the least amount of screentime and dialogue of the Frightful Four, even if you count Trapster.

I think that boys can appreciate romance and female characters. SSM had plenty of it going on with Liz, MJ, and Gwen. 90's Spider-Man had Peter flirting with Felicia and MJ and he even married the latter (well, a clone MJ but you get the point ). I am curious why people believe boys are turned off by romance and female characters. There's not really any evidence of that.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

JTMarsh is offline Wing Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    You're wrong. They're not focusing on action for the kids. "Kids" is a gender-neutral term. They're focusing on the action for the boys​. That's why there aren't many female characters in the series, either. White Tiger is the token girl on an otherwise all-boys team. Yeah there's Aunt May and Mary Jane but removing them is tantamount to heresy, though this show has minimized both of those characters to different degrees. Finally Thundara had the least amount of screentime and dialogue of the Frightful Four, even if you count Trapster.

I think that boys can appreciate romance and female characters. SSM had plenty of it going on with Liz, MJ, and Gwen. 90's Spider-Man had Peter flirting with Felicia and MJ and he even married the latter (well, a clone MJ but you get the point ). I am curious why people believe boys are turned off by romance and female characters. There's not really any evidence of that.
    There's a long standing stereotype that boys just aren't into romantic subplots and what not, whether because it's considered "unmanly" or "girly" or whatever. You know how it is, old stereotypes die hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I stand corrected.

Reasons as to why TSSM was cancelled: http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/....php?qid=14223

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTMarsh View Post
    There's a long standing stereotype that boys just aren't into romantic subplots and what not, whether because it's considered "unmanly" or "girly" or whatever. You know how it is, old stereotypes die hard.
    It's a stereotype that doesn't really exist anymore, like those giant lockers Flash has gotten stuck in. Has anyone involved in USM actually been in a modern high school lately? Plus you can't openly physically bully people inside the school building anymore in most places, most physical bullying happens outside the school now. The most common bullying though is through words, pranks, or online which all are far less obvious than trying to shove a kid into a locker or something. Flash's bullying in SSM, while not going into the online aspect, is far more realistic than his bullying has been in USM so far.

When I was in the target demographic, while I admit that I wasn't the biggest fan of romance I wasn't against it either. I wanted Tai/Sora to get together in Digimon and Peter/Felicia in the 90's Spider-man for example. However, the stereotype that boys hate romance was still prevalent when those shows came out, that meant in order to be "cool" boys had to act like they hate it, from what I can remember from my grade school conversations over those shows (which isn't a helluva lot).

Boys hang around with girls a lot more these days. Back when I was a kid in the 90's, a boy could still get in a ton of trouble from his peers if he hung around with girls. Nowadays not so much. So I think boys like or at least are more open to female characters now than they ever have been but the current generation of cartoon creators don't seem to get that with some exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWay2008 View Post
    I stand corrected.
    I hope I didn't sound super harsh, I was in a bit of a mood when I wrote that.
    I'm a stargazer

Rick Jones is offline Trickin' N Treatin'
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's a stereotype that doesn't really exist anymore, like those giant lockers Flash has gotten stuck in. Has anyone involved in USM actually been in a modern high school lately? Plus you can't openly physically bully people inside the school building anymore in most places, most physical bullying happens outside the school now. The most common bullying though is through words, pranks, or online which all are far less obvious than trying to shove a kid into a locker or something. Flash's bullying in SSM, while not going into the online aspect, is far more realistic than his bullying has been in USM so far.
    I always thought locker stuffing seemed pretty antiquated and stereotypical of tv bullying but personally it doesn't really seem any less plausible than openly tossing water balloons out of a third story classroom window during a lunch period.
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    I always thought locker stuffing seemed pretty antiquated and stereotypical of tv bullying but personally it doesn't really seem any less plausible than openly tossing water balloons out of a third story classroom window during a lunch period.
    It is a lot harder to be caught throwing water balloons. Water evaporates after a while, and water balloons have nowhere near the physical threat that locker stuffing has. Locker stuffing is true physical violence while water balloons can be argued or justified as a prank. Locker stuffing will also leave witnesses everywhere and takes a significant amount of time, while you can throw a water balloon and run away really damn fast, allowing you to go "Who? Me?" because you're confronted in an entirely different area than where the water balloon incident happened.

Yes, I have thought a lot about bullying. I want to professionally write YA novels. Considering realistic bullying comes with the territory. Water balloons, naturally, aren't much more realistic but that act holds more water than locker stuffing.
    I'm a stargazer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope I didn't sound super harsh, I was in a bit of a mood when I wrote that.
    It's all good.

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My eight-year old son is really hoping for someone to hook up with White Tiger, preferably Iron Fist (Iron Fist has been his favorite Marvel hero since the Facebook Avengers game). He likes smackdown and girls in equal measure... I am assembling embarrassing stories to relate to his dates when he's a bit older.

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I was in the target demographic, while I admit that I wasn't the biggest fan of romance I wasn't against it either. I wanted Tai/Sora to get together in Digimon and Peter/Felicia in the 90's Spider-man for example. However, the stereotype that boys hate romance was still prevalent when those shows came out, that meant in order to be "cool" boys had to act like they hate it, from what I can remember from my grade school conversations over those shows (which isn't a helluva lot).
    Is it just me or was romance much bigger 15 or so years ago in than it is today? I'm strictly talking Marvel cartoons, but X-Men TAS did Scott/Jean/Logan and of course had Rogue and Gambit, Spider-Man TAS juggled many women, and both series had weddings. Fantastic Four had no less than three couples, Iron Man had Julia/Tony/Wanda and then just Tony and Julia, Silver Surfer was basically motivated by the thought that he was going to get back to his love Shalla Bal, etc.
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast