toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

GL Zeeguy is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Avengers: EMH: Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel Romance?

Like This Thread!
    So, I noticed in the Avengers cartoon that its pretty obvious that Mar Vell has feelings for Carol and I'm just wondering if there's anything in the comics to suggest that these feelings might come to fruition. I mean, I'm not too familiar with these two characters. I think I've read Ms. Marvel in a handful of appearances in the Avengers books, but I don't think I've ever really read anything that had Mar Vell in it. So to my knowledge, there's nothing to suggest that they should hook up. Either way, the relationship that looks like its developing in the cartoon has me intrigued. In his first appearance, he looked like he was very taken with her and in the most recent episode, his actions may have been questionable, but it seems as if he acted to protect Earth and Carol in particular. So, what do you guys think? Will these two become star-crossed lovers in an epic romance (preferably one that doesn't make me wanna puke) or did Mar Vell torpedo his chances by standing with Ronan?

JTMarsh is offline Wing Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think they did date in the comics at one point, but I don't have those issues in front of me so don't quote me on that. Whether or not the show pursues that angle I can't say; it wouldn't be the first time a relationship from the comics got ignored in a media adaptation for whatever reason.

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTMarsh View Post
    I think they did date in the comics at one point, but I don't have those issues in front of me so don't quote me on that. Whether or not the show pursues that angle I can't say; it wouldn't be the first time a relationship from the comics got ignored in a media adaptation for whatever reason.
    Nope, they never did, although Carol was fascinated with Captain Marvel, and he with her - but they never really articulated it or did anything with it. Welcome to the 1960's, where silent yearning in comics was the order of the day...

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I could honestly care less about this relationship in the series now since I hate EMH's version of Captain Marvel. Not my Captain Marvel. He's a spineless coward and doesn't deserve Carol.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yea he's a dork in the show. And not the good kind. She almost seemed smitten with Tony at the end but maybe that was more excitement of being an Avenger that I'm reading into.

JTMarsh is offline Wing Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What makes you guys so sure the Captain can't turn it around and redeem himself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    I could honestly care less about this relationship in the series now since I hate EMH's version of Captain Marvel. Not my Captain Marvel. He's a spineless coward and doesn't deserve Carol.
    Well, he did sorta jump in the way of a full on energy blast from Ronan and Carol to stop them from fighting and he was willing to sacrifice himself for Earth in 459. So, I wouldn't say spineless is the proper word to describe him. If a relationship between them were to come to fruition, I think they'd play it along the angle that he's willing to sacrifice himself to protect her and al that jazz...

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    He's doing it in effort of Earth's submission to the Kree empire.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    He's doing it in effort of Earth's submission to the Kree empire.
    Read between the lines, dude. Its pretty obvious that Mar Vell doesn't give a crap about the goals of the Kree Empire. Why else would he plead so much to the Supreme Intelligence to get them to spare the lives of everyone on the planet of all he saw was another world to be conquered? He's doing it because he genuinely cares about the people and doesn't want to see them crushed by the Kree military.

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Zeeguy View Post
    Read between the lines, dude. Its pretty obvious that Mar Vell doesn't give a crap about the goals of the Kree Empire. Why else would he plead so much to the Supreme Intelligence to get them to spare the lives of everyone on the planet of all he saw was another world to be conquered? He's doing it because he genuinely cares about the people and doesn't want to see them crushed by the Kree military.
    Classic Mar-Vell doesn't apply as this is a different character, but the AEMH Mar-vell was a xenobiologist with the rank of Captain - granted, there don't seem to be any pacificst Kree, but this Mar-vell is a scientist as well as a soldier (unlike the other one). He's clearly gotten a little attached to his study subjects, and wants to get closer to one in particular.

That said, he can want all he wants, but his actions in "Welcome to the Kree Empire" have pretty much precluded any quick resolution, unless he turns things around really fast as he's not likely to have an abundance of screen time.