toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - USM "Flight of the Iron Spider"

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll

1 5.00%
  • ****1/2

2 10.00%

4 20.00%
  • ***1/2

6 30.00%

1 5.00%
  • **1/2

2 10.00%

1 5.00%
  • *1/2

0 0%

1 5.00%

2 10.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    The Dark Lord is offline 54985870
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Whilst I've never seen Super Hero Squad, I thought the nod to that was really funny. Spider-Ham was hilarious as well.

Voice acting was pretty good. Adrian Pasdar was great as Iron Man, as was Keith Szarabajka as Living Laser!

Overall, it was decent. Pretty much the same quality as the previous episodes. Still waiting for that 5-star episode guys...

HEATXZ is offline Duck Knght
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Amazing episode :anime:
    Nice to have Ironman and Living Laser in this episode also cameos other Ironman villains
    My favorite parts are SpiderHam cameo,Super Hero Squad World,and Disco Spiderman Chibis XD
    Greatest Funniest Character nominations ,Feel free to visit my Toonzone Blog

young101 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's getting better. Sure, there are quite a few gags that don't work but they give the show a different feel. It feels spontaneous and fun. The ADD levels felt reeled in a bit (either that or I've just gotten used to it) and while I'm not exactly saying it's the best show in the world, its still good.

But for some reason, people try to criticize the show by comparing it to family guy, which it really isn't. The cutaway gags in family guy usually (or pretty much mostly) have nothing to do with whats going on in the actual episode. I would liken Ult spiderman more to scrubs (even though it isn't a cartoon). It's at least attempting to be goofy and fun and I think they are getting better like I said. Plus, were only 5 episodes in so until at least the season is it so necessary to judge so hard?

And I really don't think this show is getting the credit for some pretty amazing animation and storyboarding. While I'm not the biggest fan of the character design (specifically the team), the animation has been so top quality stuff. I'm kinda surprised they didn't dish out the goods immediately on the pilot and were only now just getting better fight scenes, 3d moving backgrounds moving in and out etc.

I also agree, the team is lacking character development but this episode felt like a step in the right direction; you really did feel that they wanted to help peter out at the end in this episode.

And then another thing I'd like to mention. Sure, spiderman has been depicted as a loner before and this show is contradicting that, but did we not see that too for batman in batman brave and the bold? We even got an episode (legends of the dark mite) where the creators essentially defended their interpretation of batman to the audience. So is it so hard to do the same for spiderman?

Kumori MC is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

M.O.D.O.K. is offline Scientist Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumori MC View Post
    Good review!

Though I have to say I haven't seen this episode, I can't say I care for a common thug Living Laser, much less his design. Armored Adventures had the right of making him a tragic figure. Though I agree, his resurrection in the second season was BEYOND irritating.

Glad to hear Stark was good, though.
    "Aaah...your screams are like music to my ears" - MODOK

Now with comes with a tumblr blog.

Latest entry: TSSM's Eddie Brock: A Nice Guy or a "Nice Guy"?

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I confess, I laughed at the SHS bit - but then again, I would have laughed at the original SHS too...

Tired of watching the out-of-character treatment of Peter Parker.

For someone whose a supposed genius, giving Parker a suit of armor with enough firepower to level several blocks without giving him any training is a pretty bone-head move - oh, but wait, without it you can't have the super-prattfalls for cheap laughs. Hope SHIELD has a heck of a budget for repairs...

Peter Porker never gets old.

I hated the Living Laser re-design, and the Iron Man armor isn't worth a microhero; hopefully we'll get an armor upgrade that doesn't look quite so bad. I mean, hip-wader boots? Really? Stark is going fly-fishing?

Once more, we get simple plots, with bad pacing and "humor" that pretty much doesn't work (for me, and for a lot of people, judging from the comments here and elsewhere). Granted, you can't be all things to all people, and I think that the creative staff is hitting the mark they've set - its just that they set it pathetically low. A little more ambition, a little more vision, a little more effort put into it, and it would be less a trite updating of "Spider-Jerk and his idiot Friends".

The wort condemnation? My eight-year-old is so bored with it he didn't care if I downloaded it - he'd rather watch Young Justice re-runs on my iTunes. My son wants more complex plots - he's spoiled by JY and AEMH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by young101 View Post
    It's getting better. Sure, there are quite a few gags that don't work but they give the show a different feel. It feels spontaneous and fun. The ADD levels felt reeled in a bit (either that or I've just gotten used to it) and while I'm not exactly saying it's the best show in the world, its still good.

But for some reason, people try to criticize the show by comparing it to family guy, which it really isn't. The cutaway gags in family guy usually (or pretty much mostly) have nothing to do with whats going on in the actual episode. I would liken Ult spiderman more to scrubs (even though it isn't a cartoon). It's at least attempting to be goofy and fun and I think they are getting better like I said. Plus, were only 5 episodes in so until at least the season is it so necessary to judge so hard?

And I really don't think this show is getting the credit for some pretty amazing animation and storyboarding. While I'm not the biggest fan of the character design (specifically the team), the animation has been so top quality stuff. I'm kinda surprised they didn't dish out the goods immediately on the pilot and were only now just getting better fight scenes, 3d moving backgrounds moving in and out etc.

I also agree, the team is lacking character development but this episode felt like a step in the right direction; you really did feel that they wanted to help peter out at the end in this episode.

And then another thing I'd like to mention. Sure, spiderman has been depicted as a loner before and this show is contradicting that, but did we not see that too for batman in batman brave and the bold? We even got an episode (legends of the dark mite) where the creators essentially defended their interpretation of batman to the audience. So is it so hard to do the same for spiderman?
    I feel like all of the characters lack some character development. I sometime feel like the characters are there just to crack jokes or argue.
    "With great power comes with great - Gullibility!" - The Spectacular Spider-Man

Reasons as to why TSSM was cancelled: http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/....php?qid=14223

NBM05 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wasn't too thrilled by this episode.

I actually enjoyed the first three or so episodes quite a bit (and defended them on this site), but this was the first episode where I really felt Peter was too out of character. His inability to see how ineffective and dangerous he was in the Iron Spider armor just didn't ring true.

I'm also not liking the Loeb mandated done-in-one episode format. I like continuity and ongoing plot lines--they add so much more to a series (see Young Justice and Avengers). I loved both YJ and AEMHs this week. AEMHs has amazed me with not only it's ongoing plots, but with the scope of the Marvel universe it is depicting. The way AEMHs and (to a slightly lesser degree) YJ have built their worlds with ongoing plot lines makes them even more compelling--I'm beginning to worry USM episodes are going to feel inconsequential in comparison with no real carryover from episode to episode.

I'm also hoping they start doing more character development and showing character motivations. The characters need something long term they want to achieve so we, the viewers, have something to root for. Some episodes that feature only Peter and maybe one of his teammates would probably help. I like the whole team, but they just aren't getting the chance to shine yet.

I'm certainly not giving up on the show. I find it entertaining, and don't mind the humor, but long term I would like ongoing story lines and developed characters to go along with the nice action.

I'm also worried because the things I don't like about this show--the things that make it weaker than AEMHs, YJ, and even GL--are the things Jeff Loeb seemed to mandate when he took over. They're also the things everyone seemed to worry about when they heard Loeb was taking over.

I was glad to have a new USM to watch, but the new AEMHs and YJ were much more epic and enjoyable.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NBM05 View Post
    I'm also not liking the Loeb mandated done-in-one episode format. I like continuity and ongoing plot lines--they add so much more to a series (see Young Justice and Avengers). I loved both YJ and AEMHs this week. AEMHs has amazed me with not only it's ongoing plots, but with the scope of the Marvel universe it is depicting. The way AEMHs and (to a slightly lesser degree) YJ have built their worlds with ongoing plot lines makes them even more compelling--I'm beginning to worry USM episodes are going to feel inconsequential in comparison with no real carryover from episode to episode.
    I think there is a distinction that needs to be drawn between over-arching plots and sub-plots, and multipart episodes that don't stand on their own merits. USM clearly has some over-arching themes and plots; Parker learning to operate as part of a team, the nefarious plots of Norman Osborn, the underarm deoderant consumption of Doctor Octavius.

Still, at least in the AEMH and YJ, multipart arcs like Gamma World were done with each episode having its own three-act structure, so I'm not sure why we can't have multipart stories who also stand on their own merits, but that's a philosophical question.

NBM05 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medinnus View Post
    I think there is a distinction that needs to be drawn between over-arching plots and sub-plots, and multipart episodes that don't stand on their own merits. USM clearly has some over-arching themes and plots; Parker learning to operate as part of a team, the nefarious plots of Norman Osborn, the underarm deoderant consumption of Doctor Octavius.

Still, at least in the AEMH and YJ, multipart arcs like Gamma World were done with each episode having its own three-act structure, so I'm not sure why we can't have multipart stories who also stand on their own merits, but that's a philosophical question.

I realize there are some overarching plots in USM, I just think they need to do a better job of seeding them (like AEMHs has with Secret War, Civil War, the fall of Asgard, the Kree/Skrull war, Cap as a Skrull, AIM after Tony, etc) into episodes that still stand on their own merits.

Every episode of AEMHs so far this season has stood on it's own, but has also made me anxious to see what happens next. Even as someone who has liked USM, it hasn't done much to make me anxious to see what happens next--not on a threat based level or a character development/relationship level).

They have shown very briefly that Osborn and Doc Ock have something planned, but I personally want far deeper and more numerous subplots.

As far as multi-parters go: I'm not saying the show has to have two and three parters like Gamma World or the Kang and Ultron episodes of AEMHs (although the Kang and Ultron episodes were easily some of my favorites. And you're right about how each episode could be taken as a standalone, but together they formed a bigger story). I wouldn't mind some multiple-parters giving the story and characters more room to breath, mind you, but if you're saying that's what Loeb is against . . . Well, I'd rather have him against that than ongoing story lines.

On the other hand, Loeb has said that he doesn't want people to worry about missing episodes then feeling like they missed part of the story, and that worries me because I'm someone who greatly prefers series that follow an overarching plot line in the same way that individual episodes do. All my favorite series evolve their characters and build their threats via ongoing subplots. To do otherwise just makes a series feel stagnant to me. But again, if Loeb was only referring to multiple-parters, it's less of a concern. It just sounds like he's against continuity and evolving the series in general (which hopefully he's not).

Obviously shows don't have to be catered to me, but I don't think Loeb needs to be afraid of continuity or ongoing and status changing story lines. Kids seemed to really like SSM and Avatar, two very continuity heavy shows, and when people look back on JL/JLU, they often talk about the Cadmus storyline, which was probably the series biggest, most continuity heavy, longest multiple-parter.

Like I said, I'm still enjoying the series, and I realize there are some ongoing subplots. I would just prefer they were better defined and more integral. I realize that in mass entertainment there are a lot of differing opinions though, so this is just mine. And, of course, it is still very early in the series to judge.
    Last edited by NBM05; 04-24-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Miyamoto Musashi is offline Sword Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Reckless and stupid, more than the previous episodes
    I guess I'll agree with the one annoyed by how much JJ talks on the big screen against Spider-Man
    Why should Pete stay away from Iron Man if Fury wants to train him to be another Iron Man? Or Cap?

Geek catch of the episode:
    Spidey talking to Iron Man how to track TLL, similar to the talk they had in Tony's flashback in USM 150

Blogger
    Humans are the most peculiar of the living creatures
    Nowdays I can hardly be surprised

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyamoto Musashi View Post
    Why should Pete stay away from Iron Man if Fury wants to train him to be another Iron Man? Or Cap?
    For that matter, why is Stark bothering with Spider-Man? If he really wants to make suits of armor that have nothing to do with the native abilities of the person in the armor (IE their super-powers), then why doesn't he just crank out the equivalent of the Guardsman armor and train a non-powered SHIELD Agent to use it; they'd be just as much use as Peter Parker, as the "Iron Spider" battlesuit operates the same whether the person inside is Spider-Man or not.

Rick Jones is offline Crazy Marvel Love
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This episode felt like a take on the old story seen in so many other cartoons and kid shows where a character gets some attention from a cooler, older or more popular kid and forgets about their real friends or support system in the midst of their ego trip. It was nothing new or particularly special but I still found myself enjoying the episode a lot more than I didn't. I really liked the Iron Man portrayal and Adrian Pasdar seemed like a much better fit here than I thought he was during the dub of the anime series. It was also kind of fun to see his womanizing ways played up here in contrast to how he's typically seen in AEMH. I thought the action sequences in the last third were really well done and if I had any quibbles there, it was probably due to them slipping two lines of bragging into Pete's dialogue during what was his redemption arc. I liked a few of the cutaways (alternate Spideys, Iron Man's origin, Pete's costume repair) but there was still some stuff that didn't work for me (the Iron Man cherubs come to mind). I really hope that they do more with the overall character development soon as they still seem to be playing to basic archetypes here when I'd really like to see more of the characters' backgrounds and motivations revealed.
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had fun with the episode. I enjoyed the SHS scenes as well as finally seeing an animated SHS Spidey which is funny since he's been featured in the toy line but he never made it into the cartoon since I think Spider-Man's TV/animation rights were still with Sony at the time. Peter geeking out over Iron Man was funny.

For some reason I don't know why my favorite bit of animation was seeing Peter doing that arm wave when he was talking to his teammates about the armor being the answer to their problems. Usually we don't see physical movements like that in animation.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would have to say that this episode is a litter more serious than the earlier episodes. At least in this episode, the fight with the Living Laser did not have any cutaway scenes or anything that would take the moment away. So that's an improvement.

Reasons as to why TSSM was cancelled: http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/....php?qid=14223

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another nit... presumably, the Living Laser travels at the speed of light; when he was chasing Iron Man, why did it take him more than a split second (literally) to catch him? Oh, right... bad writing

Rick Jones is offline Crazy Marvel Love
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think that might be a little beyond a nitpick.
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

jph139 is offline Immortal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think that's something you need to deal with with superspeed in animation in general... I mean, it's naturally inconsistent. Look at Superman - sometimes he can be across the city in the blink of an eye, sometimes he has to struggle to catch up with a missile or something. Sometimes you need to bend the rules to make things work right.

| 3/17/97 - 9/20/08 5/26/12 |

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another decent episode, this show as yet to really wow me and I doubt it ever will, but I still enjoy it. It was awesome to see the Iron Spider suit though, made sense that Peter couldn't control though, since he can't even drive a car. I really liked this version of Iron Man. Finally we get to see the womanizing side to him that's lacking in A: EMH, and I think the Iron Man design here is much better than the ones in A: EMH. Pasdar did a much better job of voicing Tony here than in the anime, bout on the same level as Loomis for me, still prefer Marc Worden from the Ultimate Avengers movies to both of them though.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWay2008 View Post
    I would have to say that this episode is a litter more serious than the earlier episodes. At least in this episode, the fight with the Living Laser did not have any cutaway scenes or anything that would take the moment away. So that's an improvement.
    There was that one cut-scene with Spidey turning into a toaster and another showing him sewing in Spidey suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    Another decent episode, this show as yet to really wow me and I doubt it ever will, but I still enjoy it. It was awesome to see the Iron Spider suit though, made sense that Peter couldn't control though, since he can't even drive a car. I really liked this version of Iron Man. Finally we get to see the womanizing side to him that's lacking in A: EMH, and I think the Iron Man design here is much better than the ones in A: EMH. Pasdar did a much better job of voicing Tony here than in the anime, bout on the same level as Loomis for me, still prefer Marc Worden from the Ultimate Avengers movies to both of them though.

There was that one cut-scene with Spidey turning into a toaster and another showing him sewing in Spidey suit.
    Oh, yeah. But they weren't really over the top. I should have been more specific and said there weren't any cutaway scenes during the fight in the end. lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast