toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - AEMH "Acts of Vengeance"

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll

20 62.50%
  • ****1/2

7 21.88%

4 12.50%
  • ***1/2

0 0%

1 3.13%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    RoyalRubble is offline Member Tetris Champion Magma 2 Champion Crazy Go Nuts Champion Crazy Go Nuts 2 Champion Bimmin Champion R4CE 2078 Champion Nuclearoids Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

This episode features the return of Amora the Enchantress, Baron Zemo and most of the other villains that made up the original Masters of Evil group in various episodes from the first season, but played a much more important part in the season one finale. This time though, things have changed and Amora has only returned to get her revenge on Zemo following his betrayal (which took place in "This Hostage Earth"), and she would stop at nothing to get to him. I thought it was interesting how Amora returned to take down the Masters of Evil pretty much at the same time the Avengers were trying to capture them as well. Of course, to make things more interesting, the Avengers always seem to arrive too late and find their enemies have already been captured by someone else. It was neat seeing Chemistro again (too bad he didn't get to share any screen-time with Hawkeye this time), and when one of the first scenes shows Amora's arm being turned to wood, only for her to use magic to heal herself, you know the episode will be awesome.

Zemo trying to escape the wrath of the Enchantress sees himself forced to ask the Avengers for help. His plan was to ask Thor for help, but he hasn't returned from Asgard. I thought it was a nice touch that Zemo was willing to trust only Captain America (naturally he had a back-up plan, but still). Seeing Zemo ready to trust his arch enemy with his life was interesting. I was kind of hoping Zemo would notice this Captain America isn't the real one, as he has encountered him in numerous battles throughout the years. Of course, he does realize Cap has changed when he sees he is willing to leave Amora have her vengeance on him. And the last scene with the fake Cap, was just great. His line, "You have no idea who I really am" would have been impressive enough, but combined with the Skrull shaped shadow he casts on the wall behind, it becomes a lot more awesome. Probably my favorite moment from this episode. And there were a lot of great scenes to choose from.

I also liked seeing Black Panther continuing to encourage Wonder Man and telling him about how they might have found a cure for his condition. I was hoping that by the end of the episode Simon would change sides and let the Avengers help him. But instead we get to see him sacrifice himself to save the others. And it was a pretty cool scene, but I hope we haven't seen the last of him on the show. Hopefully he will return in a later episode and eventually join the Avengers. On another note, I thought it was pretty obvious the Chemistro Wasp allows to enter the mansion was the Enchantress in disguise. Come to think of it, this is the second time Amora has tricked Jan by disguising herself as another villain; probably not a coincidence, as the first time it happened was also in an episode featuring Zemo and his Masters of Evil (she was also Whirlwind, back in the season one episode that introduced us to Zemo's group of warriors, entitled well "Masters of Evil"). It is interesting that Jan would be fooled by the same trick twice though; I wonder if Amora will try this a third time only for Jan to recognize her immediately.

We also get to see Thor again, though only in a couple of scenes set in Asgard. I liked how they showed us the effects of what was happening on Earth were affecting Asgard. Or at least that's how I see it. We have seen what the magical Norn Stones are capable of in previous episodes, so it only makes sense that the most powerful one Zemo uses in this episode against the Enchantress is the one that set Surtur free. And of course, the part where Amora meets Surtur and is transformed by him into one of his minions is another awesome moment. With yet another seemingly invincible threat ready to enter the Avengers' lives, the next episodes should be a lot of fun to watch and I can't wait to see what will happen next.
    "Are you insinuating that I may have previous knowledge as to the outcome of this imbroglio?" - Top Cat
    "With great powers comes great responsibility... and free peanuts." - Johnny Bravo
    "Faster than a regular sheep... More powerful than a regular sheep... Able to leap a regular sheep in a single bound." - Sheep in the Big City

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    It would have completed what is essentially a very nice call back to Thor: Tales of Asgard, which is supposedly in the same continuity as Avengers EMH.
    According to what authority? I know about the contention regarding W&tXM, but I've never heard that Thor: Tales of Asgard was set in the same universe.

Monte is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medinnus View Post
    According to what authority? I know about the contention regarding W&tXM, but I've never heard that Thor: Tales of Asgard was set in the same universe.
    Marvel wiki; they have it listed in the same universe as EMH. I think i recall it being said that they generally get this stuff on good authority and are highly accurate even if they are still sticking to the idea that WatXM is in the same continuity despite the debate surrounding it. Though there is a reason why i used the term "supposedly"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    Marvel wiki; they have it listed in the same universe as EMH. I think i recall it being said that they generally get this stuff on good authority and are highly accurate even if they are still sticking to the idea that WatXM is in the same continuity despite the debate surrounding it. Though there is a reason why i used the term "supposedly"
    Yeah, they don't annotate why on the Wiki - Perhaps because the DVD includes an episode of AEMH with all the rest of the content? Still, without anything stronger as an indicator, and a contradiction in the lore as to the resting place of Surtur's sword, I'm more inclined to more "wishful thinking". Personally, I don't care one way or another, except that anything provable in the AEMH world I want to include on my web site, because I'm compulsive that way.

EDIT - The link to Valkyrie seems to indicate that its a different universe than AEMH as well.

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm glad we're revisiting the Masters (Wonder Man in particular) and that Enchantress went on a pretty awesome rampage. The Thor subplot looks like it's going to be epic, but I'm hoping they're going to finish the Kree-Skrull War first. Skrull-Cap was pretty devious here!

Quote Originally Posted by M.O.D.O.K. View Post
    I rather like how Executioner is now dependent on modern guns.
    That was a cool touch, and it totally makes sense for a warrior like him to be able to adapt to modern weapons (some of the good Asgardians once had to do that in the comics).

I was disappointed that we get another Asgardian plot so soon in the season; after the last season finale, I was kind of "Asgard-ed out", so to speak.
    Me too, especially because I'm wondering if we ever do get a Thor cartoon down the line, even if it's a different continuity, that they'd avoid doing what A:EMH already did.

Note the similar scenes - at the beginning of the episode, Zemo kicks a helpless Enchantress in the head, and at the end a helpless Zemo is kicked in the head. Both Captain AmeriSkrull and Zemo break the agreement.
    Crime doesn't pay...it leads to you getting kicked in the head (someone even got kicked in the head in this week's Young Justice!)

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Clancarty View Post
    The only thing that disappointed me was the negation of the Enchantresses' magic, magic should be more than just simply energy manipulation, it should be that which transcends the laws of physics and is therefore beyond the understanding of rationality. Magic can only be countered by magic not by machines.
    I think it should be dangerous and unpredictable to use technology on magic, but magic should still be able to be understood and learned. That's how we get guys like Dr. Strange.
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't over think the magic vs. science business. I mean for that matter how is it even possible for mutants to have powers that are like hex powers for someone like Scarlett Witch? I mean not sure how powers that give you the ability to alter reality are a "mutation."

Good episode. I liked seeing the Masters of Evil brought back into the fold as well as the sinister machinations of Skrull Cap. I hope we can get some resolution later for Wonder Man/Simon and he can get a solid form again. Surtur storyline should be fun.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    That was a cool touch, and it totally makes sense for a warrior like him to be able to adapt to modern weapons (some of the good Asgardians once had to do that in the comics).
    One of my favorite scenes of all times from the comics is Skurge on a bridge, facing the screaming hordes of Hel, armed with two automatic rifles, giving Thor (et al) a chance to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    I wouldn't over think the magic vs. science business. I mean for that matter how is it even possible for mutants to have powers that are like hex powers for someone like Scarlet Witch? I mean not sure how powers that give you the ability to alter reality are a "mutation."
    Yeah, over-thinking for trying to over-explain the inherently unrealistic is kind of problematic with comic story "reality". It needs enough basis to not totally burst the audience's willingness to suspend disbelief, but not so much that everything is placed within the real of objective reality; Hulk can't pick up a car and throw it because the strength of the bumper or panel isn't strong enough for the car to stay cohesive, for example.

Good episode. I liked seeing the Masters of Evil brought back into the fold as well as the sinister machinations of Skrull Cap. I hope we can get some resolution later for Wonder Man/Simon and he can get a solid form again. Surtur storyline should be fun.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Medinnus; 04-19-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Ah, typoes - you will kill me if you can, in the end of things!

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was a good episode, but I don't know, I'm finding the current season a bit lackluster. Maybe it's because it's following the epic 3-parter season 1 finale, or maybe because with all that talk about this being the cosmic season, I was expecting more cosmic stuff, but we're only 3 episodes in and I'm sure my feelings will change when the Kree-Skrull storyline really picks up.
    Last edited by suss2it; 04-20-2012 at 02:15 AM.

ShadowStar is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Would the Enchantress have backed off a bit if they'd told her that Loki is no longer a threat to her or to anyone else? Or would she have still wanted revenge on Zemo for using her, I wonder?

Maybe they were planning on saving the return of Wonder Man for season 3, but I really hope that he comes back and joins the team. And if that was meant to be a sad ending, it wasn't a very good one. There was no poignancy or sorrow at all, just a brief reflection by Black Panther that felt empty due to how stony faced the other Avengers were.
    "Are you the dreamer or merely part of someone's dream?" - The Mad Hatter.
    B:TAS - Perchance to Dream.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStar View Post
    Would the Enchantress have backed off a bit if they'd told her that Loki is no longer a threat to her or to anyone else? Or would she have still wanted revenge on Zemo for using her, I wonder?
    Given her history and disdain for "mere mortals", I thin you're right, I don't think it would have had any effect, really.

Mr. Hypocrite is offline Detective. Hero. Hypocrite.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The theme of this episode is......VENGEANCE!!!!!

So, does anyone this it's funny that the episode where Wonderman (who actually seemed a bit worried for Tony when he got blasted) drops his beef with Stark is the same episode where Enchantress shows up seeking vengeance against the masters.

Also, I'd forgotten that the other stones were destroyed by the Avengers themselves back during the finale. Which means they are partly responsible for Surtur's escape.

I'm a little dissapointed in Tony for not being more upfront with Wonderman about trying to cure him and all. Then again, that's what started the whole mess in the first place.

As for Wonderman, even if his first return was caused by the Enchantress, I doubt we've seen the end of him. I understand he has a habit of dying and coming back (though he's no Jean Grey.)

Ducks a brick

Right. What I mean is, he's not what people flanderized Jean into being (namely someone who dies and comes back all the time).
    The Hypocrite Rises....

Manhunter is offline Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Clancarty View Post
    I thought that it was an excellent ep, much much better than last weeks. The only thing that disappointed me was the negation of the Enchantresses' magic, magic should be more than just simply energy manipulation, it should be that which transcends the laws of physics and is therefore beyond the understanding of rationality. Magic can only be countered by magic not by machines. I hope that we don't keep going down this route. What happened to Skurge's Blood Axe?
    In other words, to quote a certain Chinese antiques dealer, "magic must defeat magic."
    "No man escapes the Manhunters!"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ShadowStar is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why was Wonder Man relying on Zemo to keep him alive? I thought it was Enchantress who brought him back and was keeping him alive...
    "Are you the dreamer or merely part of someone's dream?" - The Mad Hatter.
    B:TAS - Perchance to Dream.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3