toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - USM "Venom"

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll

2 5.88%
  • ****1/2

4 11.76%

8 23.53%
  • ***1/2

1 2.94%

7 20.59%
  • **1/2

2 5.88%

3 8.82%
  • *1/2

0 0%

2 5.88%
  • 1/2

5 14.71%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    jph139 is offline Immortal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingDreamer View Post
    Oh, and nice job giving the token black guy no discernible personality.

Also also: can anyone familiar with Nova tell me if he's this much of an obnoxious brat in the comics?
    To be fair, a lot of the time Luke Cage's personality is being the token black guy.

And this is a new Nova: the original (Rich Rider) was, however, kind of obnoxious. In his early days, at least. And in Spider-Girl. No idea about the new one; not even sure what comics he's been in.

I'll agree that Peter is REALLY out of character overall, though, and it's not a trend I'm a big fan of. I mean, I don't mind Flash being one-dimensional (come on, he's Flash) or Nick Fury being flat or the supporting cast being caricatures, but when you miss the mark on your lead that badly something has gone wrong.

| 3/17/97 - 9/20/08 5/26/12 |

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Peter Parker may be many things, but he is not and has never been (save perhaps when under the influence of the Symbiote) an aggressive jerkbag.

Actually, that's kind of my whole problem with this show after four episodes: it doesn't know when to quit. Spidey explains who the new heroes are in a supreme display of the creative team underestimating the audience's attention span, Drake Bell is still annoying and shrill in the title role, the music blares constantly, the action scenes keep dragging on because it keeps stopping for dumb jokes, and it's constantly trying to say, "Look how cooool and funny we are!" Oh, and nice job giving the token black guy no discernible personality.

And after three episodes of Parker being an idiot, you don't get to try and make him a science geek NOW when you've been ignoring it.
    Well, between the mischaracterization of Peter Parker, the humor which isn't really all that funny and non-Spidey in tenor, stripping Power Man and Iron Fist into ciphers and stereotypes, and two fresh characters they can't mis-characterize only because they don't have personalities beyond their one-dimensional portrayal, the show isn't that bad...

Also also: can anyone familiar with Nova tell me if he's this much of an obnoxious brat in the comics?
    Rich Ryder? Not at all. Sam Alexander, who hasn't had more than one appearance (I think), and that one appearance pretty small? Who can say?

FightingDreamer is offline Mutant on the Rise
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jph139 View Post
    To be fair, a lot of the time Luke Cage's personality is being the token black guy.

And this is a new Nova: the original (Rich Rider) was, however, kind of obnoxious. In his early days, at least. And in Spider-Girl. No idea about the new one; not even sure what comics he's been in.

I'll agree that Peter is REALLY out of character overall, though, and it's not a trend I'm a big fan of. I mean, I don't mind Flash being one-dimensional (come on, he's Flash) or Nick Fury being flat or the supporting cast being caricatures, but when you miss the mark on your lead that badly something has gone wrong.
    Wasn't he a hilariously overblown blaxploitation semi-parody at one point? I seem to recall a story where he shakes down Dr. Doom for money, and Doom gives it to him. On an ostensibly comedic show, that might have been interesting.

Thanks for the brief education on Nova. I hadn't realized there were two of them.
    “Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash we have very little reason to be interested in them."-Pauline Kael

jph139 is offline Immortal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, most of his Power Man days had Luke Cage as a jive-talking streetwise hero for hire... but I really don't think that would be a good direction for anyone to go in. I mean, "stunningly offensive" sounds like a fair approximation.

| 3/17/97 - 9/20/08 5/26/12 |

RoryWilliams is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah. Cage definitely grew into a more likable and well-rounded character, but his original portrayal (to paraphrase writer Christopher Priest) is what happens when black superheroes are created by white guys whose sole exposure to "the black experience" is reruns of Good Times.

Still, he's not horribly boring here. I think it's just an issue of the team itself not getting very meaty parts since no matter what they always have to end up playing second fiddle to Spider-Man. With Young Justice and the Avengers and even earlier stuff like Teen Titans and Justice League, the characters got to shine because the story was rarely focused on just one hero and even if it was, it'd shift from episode to episode with various characters getting their own spotlight storylines.

In something like USM where Spider-Man is the main draw and the kids are largely unknown, he's always going to get the majority of the narrative preference while the others are reduced to back-up singers. Hopefully they'll get more spotlight eventually.

As for the episode itself, I'm in agreement with the others. A step-up from the previous ones, largely in thanks to it taking itself a tad more seriously. And I did like the little mythology gag with Ock's Venom-infused soldiers looking like the modern Flash Thompson Venom costume.

Also, it could've been a coincidence (probably was) but the dark-skinned female cop at the end reminded me a lot of Jean DeWolff from Spectacular. Even had the same haircut.
    Last edited by RoryWilliams; 04-17-2012 at 03:16 AM.

Miyamoto Musashi is offline Sword Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's my least favorite episode thus far, but I'm still satisfied
    Why did Sam bad mouth Harry since he was with him and MJ in the previous episode? Sitting having fun?
    Why would Spider-Man go away from Harry after he heard him forgiving Peter? He didn't hate Spider-Man

Geek catches:
    • Ock taking blood sample from Spider-Man, much like his first appearance and taking blood sample from Peter Parker
    • Electric webbing: Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro
    • Flash saying "Take the Nerd": Very Fred (ultimate Flash), not Eugene (original)
    • Venom: Ultimate Carnage
    • Using electricity to defeat Venom, Ultimate Spider-Man destroying his black suit
    • Symbiote tying Iron Fist removing his clothes? So wrong
    • Fury as Spidey's inner voice: J. Jonah Fairy Godfather for Spider-Man (Skin Deep if I recall right)
    Blogger
    Humans are the most peculiar of the living creatures
    Nowdays I can hardly be surprised
    I like Tobey Maguire more than Andrew Garfield in the role of Spider-Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would have to say this episode is probably the best so far. It was more serious, and it actually had a good subplot with Peter and Harry's friendship. Venom's origin is refreshing. However, I still don't like the constant interruptions/interjections of Spider-Man's "joke" during a fight. It just takes the serious moment away. I still don't like the motorcycle. And speaking of SHIELD's tech, what is so good about SHIELD's web-shooters, beside the fact that it can be camouflaged? I have been meaning to ask this, and haven't got an answer yet. I must have missed something as to why this new, improved web-shooters are superior to Spider-Man's original web-shooters.

Overall, I hope this show continues to improve.
    "With great power comes with great - Gullibility!" - The Spectacular Spider-Man

Reasons as to why TSSM was cancelled: http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/....php?qid=14223

FightingDreamer is offline Mutant on the Rise
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Regarding the Power Man/Luke Cage thing: I'm not suggesting he should have completely reverted to the 70s incarnation. But perhaps having him simply be an energetic Mr. T-type might have been more interesting/funny.
    “Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash we have very little reason to be interested in them."-Pauline Kael

W.C.Reaf is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually, that's kind of my whole problem with this show after four episodes: it doesn't know when to quit. Spidey explains who the new heroes are in a supreme display of the creative team underestimating the audience's attention span
    That doesn't bode well for the Loeb half of Avengers season 2 where he said the show would be more episodic so new viewers wouldn't be put off. If that’s Loeb’s idea of being accessible to new viewers then I’m worried.

Seaman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The cutaways and the humor in general are still not funny and I suspect it might continue that way.

Nice, from what we saw, Doc Ock design and overall creepy theme.
    I just hope he won't end up being a henchman for Osborn or ending up the same despicable way that his comic counterpart did.
    Dock Ock is my favorite Spider-man villain and In my opinion his nemesis.
    I stopped reading Ultimate spider-man for a particular event.

As for the villain of the week, Venom a "character" I have had a very limited cared for.
    Why he is introduced so early on is sort of the opposite of what the other shows have done.

My thoughts of the fight, well, it was smart way of showing Venoms ability to copy powers from it's host. Something he rarely do. Which I find is odd.

As for the hero team, well.... I don't care for them that much, sure Iron fist is ok. the rest needs more thinking. Also, I do like White tigers eye expressions, very nice.

Yeah.... so.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast