toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment on This Issue!

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll

1 20.00%
  • ****1/2

1 20.00%

2 40.00%
  • ***1/2

0 0%

1 20.00%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" Issue #1 Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    The all-new monthly series based on the acclaimed Marvel Animation series debuts!

MARVEL UNIVERSE - THE AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES #1

WRITER: Christopher Yost
    PENCILS: Adam Dekraker and Christopher Jones

• Face Front, Action Fans! It Starts Here!
    • An All-New Line Of Comics Aimed At Readers Of All Ages Who Like Action, Live For Danger…And Love Heroes!!
    • The Marvel TV Animated Smash Is Coming To Comics! Written By Chris Yost, Head Writer On The Hit Series!
    • This First Issue Features Two Huge Tales That Catch You Up On All The Action As Agent Coulson Takes You Through The Drama Leading Up To The Launch Of Season Two This Spring On Disney XD.
    • Don’t Tell Your Parents Because When Earth’s Deadliest Villains Meet Earth’s Mightiest Heroes…No One’s Goin’ To Bed Early!

Comments?

M.O.D.O.K. is offline Scientist Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pretty OK issue. The main story with the Mandarin was fine, if a bit generic and short. Yost used an aspect of Iron Man: Armored Adventures, a show he produced, by having the rings being explicitly named after the Maklan race that created them. And even though I know that Christopher Jones is only doing this issue, I still enjoyed his art, being a huge imrovement over the rest so far. Only nit-pick I had was the rather-rosy Tony, but that's due more to coloring.

The second story was just a recap of the first season via Nick Fury's files being read by Maria Hill and Phil Caulson. They stop until the discovery of Viper as a Skrull, where Fury disappeared ever since. Hill fills in the rest of the season's even with her own biased view of them. The art is a little weird, but still an improvement over the mini-series's art. This one DOES open a huge plot hole, though: Fury explictly says that Black Widow was working for him as a mole in Hydra, which should have cleared her name......except for the fact that Hill later mentions that the Avengers suggested she was not a traitor, and dismissed it as speculation.

It seems like, much like the first USM animated comic, this is adapting animated segments, this time, the Fury's Files shorts from the Marvel Universe programming block. I dread receiving this, since the translation is really bad to panels, and it its rather intrusive between stories. I felt like they could have used these pages to add more to the main stories than for shorts that have already aired.
    "Aaah...your screams are like music to my ears" - MODOK

Now with comes with a tumblr blog.

Latest entry: TSSM's Eddie Brock: A Nice Guy or a "Nice Guy"?

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And the comic series - Season 2.5? - is off and running, and off to a mixed start.

First, the good - the AEMH comic has been confirmed in continuity by the writer, Christopher Yost, so we are likely to see a bunch of stuff we might not otherwise had a chance to see - for example, the antagonists in the first story.

The artwork has improved significantly (at least, in my highly subjective opinion) from the Limited Series, and has a much more finished look to it - less like sketches and more like finished product. The writing is very good for the limitations of being only ten pages; Steve Gerber once told me that it was much more difficult to write a good, tight story in ten pages than over the course of six issues, and Yost does an excellent job in giving us ten pages of a complete action story.

The second feature... well, its one of those necessary evils. The creative team does a masterful job of compacting 26 episodes into ten pages, complete with framing story narrative, but c'mon... we've all watched those episodes, and in some cases (like me) obsessively so. Still, it was nice seeing a different artistic perspective on the episodes.

Characters introduced to the AEMH Universe this issue include:

The Mandarin
    Fin Fang Foom
    Agent Coulson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M.O.D.O.K. View Post
    Pretty OK issue. The main story with the Mandarin was fine, if a bit generic and short. Yost used an aspect of Iron Man: Armored Adventures, a show he produced, by having the rings being explicitly named after the Maklan race that created them. And even though I know that Christopher Jones is only doing this issue, I still enjoyed his art, being a huge imrovement over the rest so far. Only nit-pick I had was the rather-rosy Tony, but that's due more to coloring.
    As I've said, I'd prefer to see the classic Avengers baddies, Mandarin included, in the actual show... but if that just can't always be the case, I'll gladly take 'em in a Chris Yost written in-continuity book!

The second story was just a recap of the first season via Nick Fury's files being read by Maria Hill and Phil Caulson. They stop until the discovery of Viper as a Skrull, where Fury disappeared ever since. Hill fills in the rest of the season's even with her own biased view of them. The art is a little weird, but still an improvement over the mini-series's art. This one DOES open a huge plot hole, though: Fury explictly says that Black Widow was working for him as a mole in Hydra, which should have cleared her name......except for the fact that Hill later mentions that the Avengers suggested she was not a traitor, and dismissed it as speculation.
    Looks like starting with next issue, two new original stories each issue!

It seems like, much like the first USM animated comic, this is adapting animated segments, this time, the Fury's Files shorts from the Marvel Universe programming block. I dread receiving this, since the translation is really bad to panels, and it its rather intrusive between stories. I felt like they could have used these pages to add more to the main stories than for shorts that have already aired.
    Well, to be honest, this is part of the reason that with a very limited number of exceptions, the last actual comic book I bought was during a year that started with "nineteen". I'm definitely gonna get the digest of this, when it comes out (September, according to one reputable source).

Rick Jones is online now Crazy Marvel Love
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought the artwork throughout felt pretty clean and was probably more appropriate for a book of this nature than the stuff from the mini-series. I do wonder if we'll see any longer stories later in the series. It would be pretty cool to see. Hopefully, the book will have a run substantial enough to allow them to do all types of stories.
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

TAS257 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Was it just me, or did this issue change around the Nick Fury Files at the last minute? The origonal front cover given above shows this issue containing the files on Nick Fury, whereas the comic book version I picked up had Iron Fist's files at the back of the book. What happened here?

TAS257

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAS257 View Post
    Was it just me, or did this issue change around the Nick Fury Files at the last minute? The origonal front cover given above shows this issue containing the files on Nick Fury, whereas the comic book version I picked up had Iron Fist's files at the back of the book. What happened here?
    Nope, you appear correct; I assume someone made the right decision to put the AEMH-related profile (maybe) in USM-related, and the USM profile in AEMH. Cross-promotion is a good thing.

James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For those interested, below is a preview image of the first page from The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes #1. Click the thumbnail to view it.

Comments on the artwork?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Harvey View Post
    Comments on the artwork?
    Well, aside from the Black Panther's presumably vibranium knives are the wrong color...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice issue, though it makes me want to see Mandarin on the show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast