toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Ed Liu is online now Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Toon Zone Talkback - Toonzone News Interviews Jeph Loeb, Marvel's Head of Television

Like This Thread!

This is the talkback thread for Toonzone News Interviews Jeph Loeb, Marvel's Head of Television.

A pity that I think Jeph Loeb can't/won't answer some of the questions posed to him, but there are still quite a few interesting bits of info on what's out now and what's coming.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was a very well-conducted interview, even if Loeb didn't answer the most important questions; in many ways, it was like extracting water from a cloud - he spoke a lot, but imparted very little information.
    Last edited by Medinnus; 04-09-2012 at 05:50 PM.

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well some of that's more than likely due for legal purposes as sometimes deals aren't ready to be announced yet until later down the line. I did take his speak on Avengers of "we have big plans for Avengers," as "we will do new Avengers animated shows later, but the current one will be over after this season."

Sort of like Hasbro's answer about GI JOE: Renegades: "Of course we will do more GI JOE animation." Well yeah of course there will be more GI JOE cartoons made later, that's a given. They just won't be another season of Renegades .
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, I took his "we have big plans for The Avengers" comment as "we'll be doing a new Avengers cartoon that'll be just as good as Ultimate Spider-Man". Sigh...
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In an earlier interview with CBR, Loeb pretty much said outright that they're doing a new Iron Man cartoon, and there was a veiled "Armored Adventures is ending" remark in this interview. So that removes some of the mystery over the "five animated series" remark.

The five animated series in development are pretty obvious. USM, SMASH, the new Avengers cartoon replacing EMH (let's face it, it's gone), and a new Iron Man cartoon, leaving just one cartoon as the mystery. In all likelihood it's a new X-Men cartoon but you never know, there's a chance it'll be a surprise. It's also interesting that Loeb says that they're still working with Sony on Marvel anime but most likely that's just for the DVD releases of the four anime that were made, not on new entries.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    In an earlier interview with CBR, Loeb pretty much said outright that they're doing a new Iron Man cartoon, and there was a veiled "Armored Adventures is ending" remark in this interview. So that removes some of the mystery over the "five animated series" remark.

The five animated series in development are pretty obvious. USM, SMASH, the new Avengers cartoon replacing EMH (let's face it, it's gone), and a new Iron Man cartoon, leaving just one cartoon as the mystery. In all likelihood it's a new X-Men cartoon but you never know, there's a chance it'll be a surprise. It's also interesting that Loeb says that they're still working with Sony on Marvel anime but most likely that's just for the DVD releases of the four anime that were made, not on new entries.
    And, to be honest, if you are determined to junk all the stuff not created on your watch, that plan makes sense, and makes more sense out of Loeb's contention that the Avengers are in continuity with USM - after Season Two of AEMH, the next Avengers cartoon will be in continuity (granted, kind of a shame that Luke Cage and Iron Fist will be teenagers in that world, but eh...).

Another X-Franchise is about due; if they don't develop one, they're pretty much ignoring one of their most monetizing franchises and "leaving money on the table", after all.

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medinnus View Post
    And, to be honest, if you are determined to junk all the stuff not created on your watch, that plan makes sense, and makes more sense out of Loeb's contention that the Avengers are in continuity with USM - after Season Two of AEMH, the next Avengers cartoon will be in continuity (granted, kind of a shame that Luke Cage and Iron Fist will be teenagers in that world, but eh...).

Another X-Franchise is about due; if they don't develop one, they're pretty much ignoring one of their most monetizing franchises and "leaving money on the table", after all.
    I wouldn't mind if the next X-Men project was a full-fledged 52-episode anime. The little 12-episode X-Men anime was pretty damn good other than a couple of iffy moments at the end and Storm basically being a blander version of the Halle Berry take. If you watch it, you'll realize that the X-Men anime did a lot of things right, especially the characterizations of Wolverine and Beast. It far and away blows the other three Marvel anime out of the water.

I kinda wish Loeb wasn't so intent on junking everything before his tenure but I guess it's only human to have things with your stamp on it getting all the focus. But if all the Marvel cartoons from this point forward are going to tie into USM's world . . . as someone unimpressed with USM's world so far I'm not sure how thrilled I should be at that prospect.

I do wonder how a new X-Men cartoon can differ itself from previous X-series . . . though if they go the USM route and be excessively silly about it I am not going to be too thrilled.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    ...if all the Marvel cartoons from this point forward are going to tie into USM's world . . . as someone unimpressed with USM's world so far I'm not sure how thrilled I should be at that prospect.

I do wonder how a new X-Men cartoon can differ itself from previous X-series . . . though if they go the USM route and be excessively silly about it I am not going to be too thrilled.
    I'm pretty sure that USM and its brand of humor wouldn't be reflected in properties whose history don't reflect much of a wisecracking history; for example, the Avenges and X-men should be more serious, but a Deadpool appearance or series would have even more (or the same amount).

As for how an X-series could distinguish itself... hmmm... I'd start with banning the major tropes already covered - no time travel AoA, no Dark Phoenix (version 139), no Mr. Sinister. If they could find a way to not have Magneto and the Brotherhood as major antagonists, that would certainly distinguish it - but in eliminating for consideration the major themes of series' past, you've also eliminated a good part of the high points of the MU canon, post-Wolverine (and I doubt you'd talk the PTB into approving a Wolverine-less X-Men). After a half-dozen different incarnations, the X-canon is pretty well mined. Of course, you could start with the old team, work their way up to the Claremont era; either steal from their pre-#93 adventures, or steal some from the vastly under-mined other X-series; the X'Nox, the Black Thom and Juggernaut days, the Savage Land minions of Magneto, Selene (without the Hellfire Club), and weave the seeds for the Season Two/Claremont era in with Season One.

Choppasmith is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medinnus View Post
    I'm pretty sure that USM and its brand of humor wouldn't be reflected in properties whose history don't reflect much of a wisecracking history; for example, the Avenges and X-men should be more serious, but a Deadpool appearance or series would have even more (or the same amount).
    Yeah I think that's why I feel so okay with USM but can't enjoy Teen Titans anymore. The classic Wolfman/Perez run the show was based off of was very much like DC's answer to X-men. And I know a lot of people would hate to see X-Men full of Anime cliches, tropes, and gags.

I will say, the one thing I really won't miss about EMH is the art style. Really hope they won't have something QUITE as stylized and angular. Something closer to Young Justice would be great.

I don't know if it's on Loeb's plate or not. But there's that supposed Tatsunoko/Marvel crossover series that should be coming out by the next fiscal year too. Although there's no telling what that could be. It could be just a short little Japan-only OVA or another 12 episode series like the Madhouse series for all we know.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Choppasmith View Post
    I will say, the one thing I really won't miss about EMH is the art style. Really hope they won't have something QUITE as stylized and angular. Something closer to Young Justice would be great.
    The curent AEMH art style is why I chose the Bruce-Timm-Templates for the microheroes I do; I would love to see some designs worked up to the YJ-style of look and feel,or similar to the USM style - say what you might about the other elements of the show, the animation and action sequences are fluid and beautiful.

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't really see the problem with Armored Adventures coming to a close. I think it's an OK show but I also feel it has run its course. I was never fond of the teenaged Tony in high school premise, but I think they got the most out of it that they could as well as mixing in elements like Mandarin, Fin Fang Foom, other Marvel characters like Hulk, Black Panther, Black Widow, MODOK, etc.

I honestly would like to see a new animated take on Iron Man. I thought the anime series was decent, but I'd also rather see something from the new studio featuring a more modern, contemporary Tony that is more in line both with the recent comics and movies.

New animated take on X-Men is a good idea since the Wolverine And The X-Men chapter is long over. Time to move on. As much as I'd like to see more of what we got with the Sony/Madhouse anime, I'm not hedging my bets on that.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

supergirl's pal is offline Give us a SBFF Animated Series
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great interview.
    I can understand if Jeph Loeb doesn't want to reveal too much right now. He probably wants to wait until the next comic book convention (SDCC) before offering something more. I do hope we get one more season of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes however.