Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - A:EMH "Alone Against A.I.M."

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll

14 48.28%
  • ****1/2

6 20.69%

6 20.69%
  • ***1/2

1 3.45%

0 0%
  • **1/2

1 3.45%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

1 3.45%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    jph139 is offline Immortal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Solid episode. Technovore was nice and creepy; I bought him as as nanomechanical being more than a designed android (because man what a wacky design that would be, eh?). His eating of some A.I.M. lackeys was very threatening and so was tonguing Tony's chest hole. Ugh, how... violating.

Speaking of A.I.M. lackeys they were so lovably clueless!

"Umm, we have visual on Tony Stark..."

*Technovore crashes through the door eating War Machine* "So what do we do?"

Poor schmucks. For a terrorist organization of super scientists, their recruitment pool must be getting a bit diluted.

But really great to see Tony's supporting cast more, including the always awesome War Machine. Hopefully we get some episodes for Thor and the Hulk bringing back their characters (though with shots of Doc Samson and plans for the Red Hulk the latter seems pretty likely).

Quote Originally Posted by Medinnus View Post
    * Does Maria Hill have any other mode other than irate and [w]itchy?
    Even so, man, she was looking good.

| 3/17/97 - 9/20/08 5/26/12 |

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jph139 View Post
    Even so, man, she was looking good.
    Eye of the beholder - she'd look better with long hair, IMO, but I digress.

She may be being irate and ....ahem... (w)itchy, but she is also coming off as sincere and honestly concerned.

SHIELD, like any other government agency, is probably caught between a rock - the expectations of the politicians and the public - and a hard place - budget cuts, no more access to Stark technology for weapons, and a rising tide of both powered and non-powered threats. A.I.M. and Hydra have better tech, because they can steal from everyone (SHIELD included - after all, the Black Widow never did find the traitor(s) that Fury set her upon). The bad guys get better, and hire other super-powered bad guys because the other super-powered bad guys value money over ideology, for the most part, whereas SHIELD can't counter with their own super-powered operatives and only have their own resources for tech development. I can only imagine how hard it is to run an organization like SHIELD, be constrained by the law and limited resources, while watching Hydra use your cutting edge tech, knowing that A.I.M. is out there building and stealing what they can't build, and having the geniuses on your side - T'Challa and Wakanda, Hank Pym, Tony Stark - constantly telling you they won't help you.

Meanwhile, you know in your gut that even the vigilantes who are ostensibly on your side are a ticking time bomb waiting to happen, undisciplined, and with no backup, no Emergency response teams, and little ability to limit the scope of conflict away from civilians.

Then you have Stark twit you that he's helping, even if he's helping his own way, and sometimes in ways that hinder SHIELD as much as they help.

She needs the Avengers' help, but she can't demand it, or direct it - she can only point them at a problem, and pray that they'll fix it without too much collateral damage or civilian casualties, and if the Avengers out-perform expectations, you know the next SHIELD budget defense in front of politicians will highlight that success and remind you that they fund SHIELD with taxpayer dollars, and it should be able to out-perform Tony Stark's personally-funded Avengers - the politicians are busy showboating for the cameras and the press, unconcerned that the comparison is downright unfair and misleading.

So, whilst I may poke fun about her character, I do also understand the depth that the writers here (et al) have given her! She may be our resident PITA, but she's our resident PITA!

ndb
    ndb is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne
    It's not Cap though, it's Skrull Cap. Maria Hill I also believe is a Skrull.

Great to see the late, great Boyd Kirkland get a directing episode credit for this series. I was surprised to see it too, but then I realized these episodes had likely been produced and finished quite a while ago.
    Yep Disney sure took their time to air these. A decent episode, but among my least favorite of the series.

RoyalRubble is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This episode was interesting, to say the least. I thought it felt more like an Iron Man show, with other Avengers being the guest-stars. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it was still a pretty awesome episode with some great scenes. Not only does this episode feature some of Iron Man's supporting cast, but also a closer look at Tony Stark's personal life, with him leading Stark International (and according to Pepper Potts not doing that great of a job lately). It was great seeing Pepper Potts again, and we get to see she can handle herself in some dangerous situations. We also get to see Rhodey again, and this time he finally puts on his own armor, becoming War Machine. Plus, Maria Hill returns as well, and continues to ask Iron Man and the rest of the Avengers to become registered superheroes, but Tony keeps on refusing.

Iron Man builds Captain America a new hologram shield, which looks pretty cool and I didn't expect it could be enlarged like that to protect more than one person from an explosion. There was enough action this episode, and every character got at least one great moment. The dialogue was good, the interactions between Tony and Pepper were great. As well as all the stuff going on between him and Maria Hill (pretty much continued from the episode "Hail, Hydra!", where Hill first came up with this "bright" idea to have all heroes register with SHIELD). Also, neat we got some more heroes mentioned like the Fantastic Four (already guest-starred in the previous episode), the X-Men and Spider-man (looking forward to any possible team-ups with them in the near future!). I know Wolverine had a small cameo back in "Meet Captain America", but I'm hoping more members of the X-Men will get a chance to show up. Actually the same goes for any other Marvel characters available to appear on the show.

The villains of this episode are A.I.M. lead by their Scientist Supreme, and Technovore, who was a pretty cool villain. I don't know much about the character from the comics (the only other time I saw him was on Iron Man: Armored Adventures, where I thought he was just a character created for that show, and not one from the comics). He looks creepy enough and proves to be a menace to the heroes but especially Tony and War Machine, because they're the ones he can feed on. I have no idea if after the events from this episode A.I.M. will appear again, but to be honest I didn't expect them to appear without MODOC either, like they did this time so I guess anything is possible.

So, by the end of the episode A.I.M. is defeated, Technovore is destroyed and all of Tony's data is safe... or is it? Captain America says he managed to save the hard-drive, but since he's secretly a Skrull agent in disguise, I expect the Skrulls will find something useful there to use against the Avengers. Overall, another great episode. Hill's constant desire to have all superheroes registered will most likely lead to some interesting things happening in the following episodes, and I still wonder where exactly Nick Fury is and what has he been doing since we last saw him. I suspect it has something to do with the Skrull invasion, and I'm looking forward to his return. As always, this show seems to be getting better and better with each new episode, and I hope the next episodes won't disappoint.
    "Are you insinuating that I may have previous knowledge as to the outcome of this imbroglio?" - Top Cat
    "With great powers comes great responsibility... and free peanuts." - Johnny Bravo
    "Faster than a regular sheep... More powerful than a regular sheep... Able to leap a regular sheep in a single bound." - Sheep in the Big City

Kumori MC is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another hit, another amazing episode of this amazing show.

The plus points?

Well, for one, I found Technovore to actually be intimidating. Creepy, even. Imagine that monster crawling in real life. Uuugh!

War Machine? Easily on par with his 90s animated counterpart. And with Bumper Robinson as yet another tech-black superhero [remember, kids, he's the Cyborg of Justice League: Doom]. And his introduction felt natural, not forced or slammed in. This is stuff quality tv is made of.

The Mach 9 armor might have been a tad rushed here, though, but that's only my opinion. And it really didn't stand out much [function-wise, I mean; visually it was awesome].

And did anyone else notice how curvaceous Maria Hill has become? Rrawr.

Also, the whole premise of the episode, well, to a novice it might look as if it were slow-paced, but it just fit. The Scientist Supreme agenda, the infiltration, the chase between Tony, Rrawr-ria and Technovore, the power-outage, all of it - flawlessly executed.

It doesn't shine like most of the strong episodes of season one, but it's a great successor to the previous season opener. Hopefully we'll get more of this kind of storytelling. And more of War Machine kicking ass.

And lots and lots more of Rrawr-ria.

[wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more ]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Skrull-Cap: "Don't worry about the hard-drive. I've got it."

That doesn't really install much confidence in me. In fact, I'm more worried now.

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalRubble View Post
    Iron Man builds Captain America a new hologram shield, which looks pretty cool and I didn't expect it could be enlarged like that to protect more than one person from an explosion.
    If its anything like the energy shield from the comics, Captain AmeriSkrull should be able to alter not only its size, but also its shape - different shields different sizes, and even swords and shapes - like a pole.

RoryWilliams is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was good, not great. There were a few things that immediately came to mind.

- Wow Stark Towers has horrible security. Even before they shut off all the power, there was no safeguard in the event of a bunch of armed terrorists pulling up alongside your house and setting up a bunch of sinister-looking weaponry?

- Why did they keep Pepper around other than to provide an excuse for the lame bad guy to monologue?

Still I liked the take on War Machine quite a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoryWilliams View Post
    I thought it was good, not great. There were a few things that immediately came to mind.

- Wow Stark Towers has horrible security. Even before they shut off all the power, there was no safeguard in the event of a bunch of armed terrorists pulling up alongside your house and setting up a bunch of sinister-looking weaponry?

- Why did they keep Pepper around other than to provide an excuse for the lame bad guy to monologue?

Still I liked the take on War Machine quite a bit.
    In case everything else failed, a hostage is always good for an ace. However, when that ace knocks you out in one punch, you failed. They should've just taken that fat executive guy, instead of the thin, obviously works out female.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumori MC View Post
    Another hit, another amazing episode of this amazing show.

The plus points?

Well, for one, I found Technovore to actually be intimidating. Creepy, even. Imagine that monster crawling in real life. Uuugh!

War Machine? Easily on par with his 90s animated counterpart. And with Bumper Robinson as yet another tech-black superhero [remember, kids, he's the Cyborg of Justice League: Doom]. And his introduction felt natural, not forced or slammed in. This is stuff quality tv is made of.

The Mach 9 armor might have been a tad rushed here, though, but that's only my opinion. And it really didn't stand out much [function-wise, I mean; visually it was awesome].

And did anyone else notice how curvaceous Maria Hill has become? Rrawr.

Also, the whole premise of the episode, well, to a novice it might look as if it were slow-paced, but it just fit. The Scientist Supreme agenda, the infiltration, the chase between Tony, Rrawr-ria and Technovore, the power-outage, all of it - flawlessly executed.

It doesn't shine like most of the strong episodes of season one, but it's a great successor to the previous season opener. Hopefully we'll get more of this kind of storytelling. And more of War Machine kicking ass.

And lots and lots more of Rrawr-ria.

[wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more ]
    I gotta agree with everything you said. You just summed up everything I felt about this episdoe, except I didn't feel like typing it. Also, your nickname for Maria is hilarious (and true) so you get points for that too. But you lose points for not mentioning that she name drops the X-Men and Spider-Man. Too bad.

Mod Note: Posts merged. Use the multi-quote function to avoid unnecessary successive posts, please.

HEATXZ is offline Duck Knght
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great episode :anime:
    I like the action scenes,Also good to have War Machine appear
    Greatest Funniest Character nominations ,Feel free to visit my Toonzone Blog

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast