toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - "Marvel Universe" Programming Block

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll

4 26.67%
  • ****1/2

3 20.00%

3 20.00%
  • ***1/2

1 6.67%

2 13.33%
  • **1/2

0 0%

2 13.33%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Lighthammer is offline Bringer of the Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Week #2 with the Hero Spotlights --- they need serious help!

They managed to do a Spotlight of Powerman that told us absolutely nothing about it. No origin, no more info about his powers that we couldn't have just deferred from Ultimate Spiderman already.

Man, they really need to get with the writers of the show and add something substantial and compelling to those things.

Also, once again, the whole thing is redundant. I'm sorry to say, but the script for the thing really comes off like its written by someone in high school who never took a college level English class. It was SOOOO redundant! I can just imagine an English teacher reviewing the scrip and crossing out 2/3s of the speech elements.

Worse yet, DC Nation 'copied' the hero profile and spotlighted Killowog this week. That profile was half the length and probably offered double the information going so far as to clue people into so major elements about the character they probably, realistically didn't know unless they read the comics.

M.O.D.O.K. is online now Scientist Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthammer View Post
    Worse yet, DC Nation 'copied' the hero profile.
    They didn't copy it. DC Nation had a profile on Plastic Man a couple of weeks back.
    "Aaah...your screams are like music to my ears" - MODOK

Now with comes with a tumblr blog.

Latest entry: TSSM's Eddie Brock: A Nice Guy or a "Nice Guy"?

Rick Jones is online now Crazy Marvel Love
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really liked this week's Mash-Ups and the Master Class and What Would It Take? weren't too shabby but the Fury File did seem to be repetitious with a very little amount of information. I can understand if they don't want to reveal all of the character's secrets before they're given in the show but it just feels as though there's more that they can be doing. Maybe a brief history of the character's comic book counterpart would be nice to see.
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

jph139 is offline Immortal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Power Man was a really poor choice for a bio: on one hand, they haven't revealed anything about his USM backstory, so they can't spoil it, but on the other, going into detail on his comic book counterpart (fifteen years older and entirely different plot to him) would be needlessly confusing. Not sure why they'd go down that road.

| 3/17/97 - 9/20/08 5/26/12 |

Rick Jones is online now Crazy Marvel Love
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think they'd necessarily have to go into anything that contradicted the animated versions greatly but just note some of the keypoints like the Hero for Hire beginnings, partnership with Iron Fist, and his eventual future as an Avenger. I don't know how much confusion that will spark but I doubt it would be more than what will occur when he debuts on Avengers soon.

They probably should have just kept these things capped at two minutes instead of pushing them for three though.

For anyone that's interested, Disney XD has uploaded a lot of the interstitial videos to their YouTube page.
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    I don't think they'd necessarily have to go into anything that contradicted the animated versions greatly but just note some of the keypoints like the Hero for Hire beginnings, partnership with Iron Fist, and his eventual future as an Avenger.
    All of which directly contradicts the animated version.

But, yeah, if he's going to be in EMH soon, there's going to be some confusion among kids for sure. I think it would have been better to just choose a different character overall. Even Iron Fist would be better: you could go into K'un-Lun and stuff even before Heroes for Hire and more Avengers stuff.

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This block is pretty much inviting comparisons to DC's, so I have to say, I like the real life stuff the best. Although the artwork is cool (may not like Quesada as an EIC, but it's nice to see him drawing Thor).

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    Agreed, also I don't like how it seems like they just have one person doing all the voices during those "Marvel Mash up" sequences, all those really made me do is wish that Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends was on DVD already.
    I know, right? I'm wondering/hoping if this is to generate interest for a possible DVD set.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthammer View Post
    They managed to do a Spotlight of Powerman that told us absolutely nothing about it. No origin, no more info about his powers that we couldn't have just deferred from Ultimate Spiderman already.
    The Hawkeye spotlight was fine, if a little long, but the Powerman one was really disappointing. I mean, it's nothing we didn't get from 30 seconds of seeing him on USM last week. I nearly face-palmed when Fury said his origin was, essentially, joining SHIELD after getting powers. The getting powers part is how an origin story works!
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

Monte is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jph139 View Post
    All of which directly contradicts the animated version.

But, yeah, if he's going to be in EMH soon, there's going to be some confusion among kids for sure. I think it would have been better to just choose a different character overall.
    Ya i was suggesting in the other thread that they could have used the the new Power Man from avenger's academy instead. From what i've heard about the new one, his backstory would not contradict USM... only real change you would need is "joins shield"

Granted you might still technically have the issue that it may be too soon to do him since his back story has not been addressed in the show itself.... Though whether or not they should worry about that depends on how they were planning to handle it in the show. If it was supposed to be a plot point, or somekind of drama filled reveal; than ya, they would not want to go into detail; but if the show doesn't teat it like a big deal, then its not much of a spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    This block is pretty much inviting comparisons to DC's, so I have to say, I like the real life stuff the best. Although the artwork is cool (may not like Quesada as an EIC, but it's nice to see him drawing Thor).
    I got a bit thrown off by this weaks live action bit when they suggested using aluminum to make caps shield =p
    Though really i think I really like the artwork bits myself. The rest needs work. However on the plus side, this actually FEELS like a block. It actually feels special, like something separate, where as DC nation just doesn't... Its probably because marvel puts more time into it, adding about like 10+ minutes worth of extra material in between the shows, where as DC nation only adds about 4 minutes worth.

However DC nation still has marvel beat due to the quality of their shorts. They can be hit or miss but the Hits can hit real hard. I'll take high quality shorts over everything else any day.

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was disappointed how awful that final Cap shield looked. I mean I've seen fans put together better homemade versions of the Cap shield. That is not a shield Cap would carry.

Just saying, fans on SHH have been making their own Cap shields and they look almost like perefect recreations from the movie.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

supergirl's pal is offline Give us a SBFF Animated Series
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarvelManiac View Post
    I thought it was pretty cool! The A:HMH Hawkeye bit was nice, as it let us know his back-story from his EMH version specifically. The Marvel Mash-Up was hilarious, especially the Hulk bit:

Hulk: "Let me check the engine."
    Army guy: "No, no, no, you don't have to do that."
    Hulk: "No, it's fine" Rips off the hood, rips out the engine. "Oh, that's the problem, your engine is leaking. Let me take care of that for you." Throws the engine into a satellite, destroying it. "You're probably going to have to replace that too."

I liked it more than DC Nation, but that's just my opinion. I'm looking forward to next weeks segment.
    DisneyXD officially posted this and a few other Marvel Mashups on Youtube. This one with the engine and "Welcome back Hulk, Miami certainly has changed you." made me howl. I hope they will use clips from the Enter She-Hulk episode for their next Hulk Marvel Mashup.

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    I was disappointed how awful that final Cap shield looked. I mean I've seen fans put together better homemade versions of the Cap shield. That is not a shield Cap would carry.
    Mine looks much better.

What I really want to do is used the fibreglass mold from the 1990's CA movie that my Hollywood buddies snagged for me

James Harvey is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tune in to Marvel Universe every Sunday at 11am (ET/PT) on Disney XD!

Marvel Universe
    Sundays at 11:00am (ET/PT) on Disney XD. Encores Sundays at 8pm (ET/PT).

Description: The epic storytelling of Marvel -- full of action, adventure and humor, along with complex, courageous and aspirational characters – will be introduced to a new generation of kids and families through a dedicated programming block, Marvel Universe. The block features the new Ultimate Spider-Man, the second season of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and new short-form series that take viewers behind the scenes to meet the creative teams and explore the many facets of the Marvel Universe. This all comes together to form a can't miss event in the Mighty Marvel Manner!

Discuss Week Three of Marvel Universe! Comments?

Remember: Discuss 'Ultimate Spider-Man' and 'The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes' in their respective talkback threads!

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As much as I try to avoid comparing Marvel and DC, I have to say that MU's filler segments reek of laziness when compared to those of DC Nation. The Marvel Mash-Ups are kind of amusing (though I wish they'd lampoon other shows besides just Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and UPN's Incredible Hulk series all the time; though I do enjoy how they got Travis Willingham from Super Hero Squad to reprise his role as Hulk), but the fact that there aren't any other shorts besides those (I'm not counting the re-enacting heroes' skill sets bits and Joe Quesada drawing sequences) just makes it seem like Marvel couldn't be bothered. Every time I watch the Marvel Mash-Ups I can't help but think, "Couldn't spring for actual shorts, eh, Marvel?"

Also the superhero profiles are a little long.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Gregatron is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone know what the ratings have been like for this block?

If I had to guess, it would probably be lower than DC Nation's only because more people have access to CN than XD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm also interested in finding out the rating for this show ("Ultimate Spider-Man").
    "With great power comes with great - Gullibility!" - The Spectacular Spider-Man

Reasons as to why TSSM was cancelled: http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/....php?qid=14223

joltman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    Well here's a table of contents:

1) Opening
    2) What Would It Take? - Slacklining
    3) Ultimate Spider-Man - Great Power
    4) Fury Files - Hawkeye (starts during end credits of USM)
    5) Ultimate Spider-Man - Great Responsibility)
    6) Master Class - Hulk (runs at about the halfway point of USM)
    7) Marvel Mash-Up - Incredible Hulk (starts during credits)
    8) Avengers - Private War Of Doctor Doom
    9) Marvel Mash-Up - Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends
    Any chance someone could post this kind of breakdown for weeks 2 and 3?

Dsneybuf is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't post titles since I often fast forward through the commercials of Ultimate Spider-Man, to get judging each episode done more quickly (I don't think I'll watch any more), but the current schedule goes something like this:

1) Opening
    2) Ultimate Spider-Man
    3) What Would It Take? (during one of the breaks)
    4) Fury Files (during Spidey's credits)
    5) The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    6) Marvel Master Class (during one of the breaks)
    7) Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends Marvel Mash-Up (during The Avengers' credits)
    8) The Incredible Hulk Marvel Mash-Up

Let me add that even though the most recent episode of Earth's Mightiest Heroes rocks, and Marvel Mash-Up always provides a good laugh, they didn't go well together last Sunday. They cut from Amora
    Spoiler:
    getting crushed by Surtur

to Magneto hosting aerobics.

James Harvey is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tune in to Marvel Universe every Sunday at 11am (ET/PT) on Disney XD!

Marvel Universe
    Sundays at 11:00am (ET/PT) on Disney XD. Encores Sundays at 8pm (ET/PT).

Description: The epic storytelling of Marvel -- full of action, adventure and humor, along with complex, courageous and aspirational characters – will be introduced to a new generation of kids and families through a dedicated programming block, Marvel Universe. The block features the new Ultimate Spider-Man, the second season of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and new short-form series that take viewers behind the scenes to meet the creative teams and explore the many facets of the Marvel Universe. This all comes together to form a can't miss event in the Mighty Marvel Manner!

Discuss Week Four of Marvel Universe! Comments?

Remember: Discuss 'Ultimate Spider-Man' and 'The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes' in their respective talkback threads!

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rerunning the Captain America sketching session? Poor form - we're only like four weeks in, and you're already out of new bits?

Marvel Mash-Up was cute as ever, though, and I liked seeing Iron Fist get the spotlight. SO many panels from Immortal Iron Fist. Made me smile.

Zorak Masaki is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder if they'll ever use any other shows for Marvel Mash-Up, like maybe 60s spider-man (hey, considering the meme status that that show has developed,,)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast