toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    moarTOONSplz is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Figures Jeph Loeb would want to get a series like this on the air. After all he did create Red Hulk and A-Bomb. I am just hoping this cartoon is better than his run on the book read

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W.C.Reaf View Post
    That image, oh my.

I thought after Superman/Batman: Public Enemies it was obvious Ed Mcguinness' style doesn't work for animation. It just looks ugly.
    That image looks awful but personally I love Public Enemies and I thought the art was much better than the hulk image. Anyway Jeph Loeb you make me insane, every decision you make pushes me further away from sanity. So please leave my Marvel Animation alone, I'm actually begging.

macattack is online now I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoryWilliams View Post
    As with every superhero cartoon, kids?
    Ya'll get that generally speaking, the adult collectors and stuff you find on the internet are going to be in the minority, right?
    Just because it's meant for kids doesn't mean it has to look the way it does. Look at Young Justice, WatXM, DCAU, Thundercats, TMNT 2003, etc. And before you bring up my SSM fanboyism the SSM designs were my least favorite part of the show.

It looks like Ed McGuinness run through a Super Hero Squad filter, which gives this effect of the characters looking like human-type versions of Transformers Go-Bots​.

If I were to commission designs for a show like this I'd likely have gone with Paul Pelletier. He has similarities to McGuinness' style but his style is a little more expressive, a little less bulky, and a little less detailed which all translates to animation better.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoryWilliams View Post
    As with every superhero cartoon, kids?
    Ya'll get that generally speaking, the adult collectors and stuff you find on the internet are going to be in the minority, right?
    Unless you're 6-14 (and some posters here certainly argue like they are), I find posts like this a touch hypocritical, and more than a touch irrelevant. Whether we're the target market or not does not preclude our right to express our opinion on the subject, nor decry the idiocy of writing down to your target market, whatever that market is.

ANY commentary on the Internet is pretty unimportant, whether or not the commentator is a part of the target market or not - and yet, we all post and discuss and debate. Look to your own post-count; clearly whether or not you exist in the target demographic hasn't stopped you from shooting off your mouth whenever you want - why should it stop anyone else? Come to that, this whole forum is designed as a place for the non-target demographic to comment.

The people who make the decisions clearly are not part of the target demographic, and my son and his friends - who ARE part of the target demographic - do prefer the cartoons which have some intelligence to their writing and attempts at humor (Young Justice, AEMH, and Spongebob Squarepants are all good examples).

The "Well, you aren't the target demographic" argument is weak, and often the last resort of people who like the thing being savaged who can muster no reasonable argument in defense of what they like, right after saying something like "It does well in the ratings", implying that ratings and quality have some semblence of a correlation, when even a casual observer can see that many shows of quality die after one season while shows which showcase and celebrate inane tripe last season after season (Jersey Shores, for example).

W.C.Reaf is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Travis View Post
    That image looks awful but personally I love Public Enemies and I thought the art was much better than the hulk image.
    Public Enemies was good but the designs weren't. It's the "everyone is overly muscley and has a giant six-pack" look that made it seem very odd looking and off-putting. But yeah still miles better than the Hulk image.

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    Just because it's meant for kids doesn't mean it has to look the way it does. Look at Young Justice, WatXM, DCAU, Thundercats, TMNT 2003, etc. And before you bring up my SSM fanboyism the SSM designs were my least favorite part of the show.
    I personally liked SSM's style and most of the designs but disregarding that its promo poster was still a lot better.
    The Reaf Debrief My site for my reviews and articles of comics, cartoons, and riffing on nostalgia.
    Currently up:
    Avatar The Legend of Korra Book 3 Review: Episodes 1 – 3

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W.C.Reaf View Post
    Public Enemies was good but the designs weren't. It's the "everyone is overly muscley and has a giant six-pack" look that made it seem very odd looking and off-putting. But yeah still miles better than the Hulk image.
    Maybe I just have little sense of these things, but I don't mind the artwork - after getting used to the heavily stylized things like "Adventure Time" and "Regular Show" (which my son watches religiously), not a lot seems to actually bother me. I didn't bat an eye at "Public Enemies"; for me, excellent designs are a bonus, but less "pretty pictures" won't stop me from enjoying something that is well-written.

That said, until we actually see something besides that poster - design sheets, or some actual footage - I'm not going to get too worked up over the designs, that to my eye aren't that bad. I mean, its not like they're all distorted like the Avengers: United They Stand designs, with jet-packs and the like.

RoryWilliams is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    Just because it's meant for kids doesn't mean it has to look the way it does.
    If it's meant for kids and kids are gonna be the primary target, I don't see why they should care what a group of adults on the internet think about it. And TBH I don't think they're all that terrible to begin with. Spectacular Spider-Man had crap designs and I really didn't mind because I got what they were going for.

It's funny that you bring up the DCAU shows because way back when BTAS was first announced, there were people griping about it looking too blocky and stylized. There's a pretty funny little tidbit from the first comic-con presentation of the show back in the early 90's when someone complained about Gordon looking like "an ice cream cone".

But people got used to it and his style ended up becoming the definitive look for the DCU in animation, despite what some adult comic fans had been griping about at the beginning.

As for S.M.A.S.H. I'll wait until I've actually seen some real animation before I start complaining about how horrible and kiddie it looks.

W.C.Reaf is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medinnus View Post
    Maybe I just have little sense of these things, but I don't mind the artwork - after getting used to the heavily stylized things like "Adventure Time" and "Regular Show" (which my son watches religiously), not a lot seems to actually bother me. I didn't bat an eye at "Public Enemies"; for me, excellent designs are a bonus, but less "pretty pictures" won't stop me from enjoying something that is well-written.

That said, until we actually see something besides that poster - design sheets, or some actual footage - I'm not going to get too worked up over the designs, that to my eye aren't that bad. I mean, its not like they're all distorted like the Avengers: United They Stand designs, with jet-packs and the like.
    I think the 90s might have soured me on overly muscular characters that all have giant 6-packs. But yeah we'll see what it really looks like and if the writing's any good when it comes out.

I do think it’s more than likely to be in Ed Mcguinness' style because of the "Marvel DNA" stuff with them getting the shows to look more like the comics. Mcguinness was an artist on Loeb's Hulk comic run and he co-created the Red Hulk with Loeb. So it'd make sense Loeb would do a Hulk cartoon in the style of Mcguinness.
    The Reaf Debrief My site for my reviews and articles of comics, cartoons, and riffing on nostalgia.
    Currently up:
    Avatar The Legend of Korra Book 3 Review: Episodes 1 – 3

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The animation test footage at WonderCon looked closer in style to Ultimate Spider-Man (animated) than Ed McGuinness. It didn't look like Public Enemies.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    The animation test footage at WonderCon looked closer in style to Ultimate Spider-Man (animated) than Ed McGuinness. It didn't look like Public Enemies.
    I'm hoping for an episode or at least some finished clips at SDCC; although the Hulk has never been a favorite of mine, I've always liked Shulkie and Rick Jones (via his Captains America and Marvel connections).