toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Josh_Fine is offline Producer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by W.C.Reaf View Post
    OK then, since I just watched this episode again today, why was Loki in shadow in Masters of Evil?

Since he was already established as Enchantress' partner it seems odd that his identity tried to be hidden like that.
    This was not intentional, but was triggered by a couple of things. When the animation came back from overseas, the scene was far too light--which was only a problem because we didn't want you to know WHERE Loki was. We added in some shadows to help obscure the location, but in the production version of the episode, you could still clearly make out Loki's facial and body details. Later on--either in color correction or as a result of the video transfers, those shadows continued to get darker until it was harder to make out Loki's identity.

It was not scripted or storyboarded / directed that way. Just one of those weird post-production & mastering things that pops up out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by The Octopus View Post
    And out of curiousity, does the Voice/Casting Director Jamie Simone pull several Naruto actors into Avengers and even in Wolverine and the X-Men on purpose?

Also, on the subject of Naruto voice actors, do Debi Mae West, Megan Hollingshead, or Steve Staley voice any characters in the second season?
    The way that casting usually worked for the show is that Jamie would do an amazing job paring down auditions (often times weeding through hundreds of them) to put together a manageable list of finalists (15-30). Usually Jamie, Frank Paur, and Chris Yost would give some input on the ones they liked best and then I would make the final pick. If we found ourselves on the fence, we would do callback auditions to work with the top three or four options for the role. With the most prominent characters (the core Avengers and some important guests / villains) I would present our picks to the Marvel higher-ups, including Joe Quesada, to get an official sign off that we were moving in the right direction.

That's a long lead up to saying that we didn't have any particular bias for or against voice actors on Naruto or any other anime, except to say that there happen to be a lot of talented people working on that show. I'm always listening for the right voice for a character. It doesn't matter to me how famous the actor is or what they've worked on previously; if they're a good fit, they're a good fit. Most of the characters in this show have existed in comics for better than half a century. As a result, most readers have developed an idea of what these guys and girls 'sound like' in their head. It's far more important to me to match that ellusive idea of what they should sound and act like than it is to try to get a big name celebrity for PR purposes.

There happen to be a lot of talented actors breaking into the business by way of anime these days and anime happens to be a particularly good training ground for doing action efforts and fight reactions--things that are deceptively difficult for many actors to do. As such, it's not that surprising to me that so many of them end up making good Super Heroes and Villains!
    You can now follow me on Twitter @Josh_Fine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh_Fine View Post
    However, any questions about things that have already happened, why we made certain decisions, or what are my thoughts on topic X are all fair game.
    Well, I wanted to ask one question, but I really don't know if it's "fair game". It mostly concerns season 1, but I don't know how much it leads into season 2. If you can/want to answer it, great, but if you don't want to or can't, I completely understand.

At the end of part 2 of Breakout, after Graviton is captured, Fury then says there are 74 super-villains who broke out of the four prisons. After the Avengers capture Mandrill the following episode, Tony then says "1 down, 73 to go". In both these cases, the number is stated rather deliberately.

My question is: Did you, Chris Yost, or another writer create a specific list somewhere of each of the villains that broke out of the prisons, add them up and come up with 74?

If yes, obviously I don't expect the list to be revealed in this forum. But maybe it'd make an interesting extra for DVD volume 8 or something.

Well, now that that's out of the way, let me thank you for the HUGE part you played in the creation of my all-time favorite comic-book animated series.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Speedbump View Post
    At the end of part 2 of Breakout, after Graviton is captured, Fury then says there are 74 super-villains who broke out of the four prisons. After the Avengers capture Mandrill the following episode, Tony then says "1 down, 73 to go". In both these cases, the number is stated rather deliberately.

My question is: Did you, Chris Yost, or another writer create a specific list somewhere of each of the villains that broke out of the prisons, add them up and come up with 74?
    The answer is... sort of. When Chris and I were first developing the series, we generated a huge list of villains that were locked up in the various Super Villain prisons. In order to allow ourselves some storytelling flexibility for the future though, we set the total number of breakout villains at a higher number than we'd actually nailed down in our list. This left us a number of 'open spots' that we could play with later if there was someone we wanted to introduce by way of the breakout.

Throughout work on the series, I maintained a list of all the villains that had been introduced, which ones originated in the breakout, and what their current status is/was (whether they were still at large, had been recaptured, or killed in action.)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Speedbump View Post
    Well, now that that's out of the way, let me thank you for the HUGE part you played in the creation of my all-time favorite comic-book animated series.
    Thanks for watching! That's some high praise!

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Josh Fine is posting on the Avengers thread, awesome! Josh were characters like the Fantastic Four always available to you when you started work on the series?
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Josh Fine is posting on the Avengers thread, awesome! Josh were characters like the Fantastic Four always available to you when you started work on the series?
    The vast majority of the Marvel Universe was available to us from the beginning for use in TV animation, including the FF and their pantheon of villains. There were only a handful of characters that were off-limits due to rights issues.

...and just to forestall the next question... for legal reasons, I can't talk about which characters those were.

Moriarty is offline The Napoleon of Crime
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    as a fan of the 'classic' Avengers i just want to state how pleased i am that Vision will be showing up in season 2.

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The vast majority of the Marvel Universe was available to us from the beginning for use in TV animation, including the FF and their pantheon of villains. There were only a handful of characters that were off-limits due to rights issues.

...and just to forestall the next question... for legal reasons, I can't talk about which characters those were.
    Not to dwell on it, but were the "legal reasons" an embargo blocking use due to them being used elsewhere a la the old Bat-embargo back in the Justice League days when Batman-related characters were banned from use in the show?

On the flipside, if we ask, could you tell us if someone is kosher to use or just a "no comment" if you can't say or it would spoil things?
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good to know you guys had almost the entire Marvel arsenal at your disposal when making this show.

I remember reading in an interview that you left your post as producer to work on your writing career, so I was just wondering if you penned any episodes of season 2?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    Not to dwell on it, but were the "legal reasons" an embargo blocking use due to them being used elsewhere a la the old Bat-embargo back in the Justice League days when Batman-related characters were banned from use in the show?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    On the flipside, if we ask, could you tell us if someone is kosher to use or just a "no comment" if you can't say or it would spoil things?
    Also nope.

Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    Good to know you guys had almost the entire Marvel arsenal at your disposal when making this show.

I remember reading in an interview that you left your post as producer to work on your writing career, so I was just wondering if you penned any episodes of season 2?
    I was always hands on in working with Chris to create stories for the episodes--especially the big ones--but I didn't take on the writing of any of the episodes myself. Too bad actually, I would have loved to have had the time to pen an episode or two myself.

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, to Josh, this is definitely one of the top five Marvel series ever! I was a skeptic, and then once I started watching I was hooked. Thanks. Keep up the good work. One question, and I'm sure it's been asked and answered before. Will this be a self-contained series, or will we see spinoffs and continuity at some point?