Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Stu
    Stu is offline Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cyclops And Rogue - Meant To Be?

Like This Thread!
    Hey,

This is one of those topics that has sort of come up every now and then (mainly thanks to the Frank Paur interview, specifically, the following comment;

Quote Originally Posted by Paur
    We played the relationship card with Scott and Rogue, she makes a play for him, and why not? If anyone has an idea of what she’s going through, it would be Scott. He lives in fear of losing control of his powers and killing someone; so does she. He had a lousy childhood; so does she. He always feels isolated because of his powers and of his responsibility; so does she. And he’s the one who reached out to her and brought her into an environment of warmth, family and friends. Why wouldn’t she make a play for him? She reads Jean's actions toward Scott as mean. Jean is a player, the cheerleader who has everything, and can’t make up her mind at what she wants. Scott is an item to her, just like Duncan, and who knows whom else. Rogue thinks Jean is a dumb ass and cannot recognize a good thing when she sees it, so yeah, she’s going to make a play on the guy. (Oh, as a minor side note; on the final episode, during the peek into the future, check out who is not included in the group shot and check out whom Rogue lands next to.)
    So what did you think of thier 'relationship'? Was it just a neccesary blockage to the inevitable Scott/Jean romance, or a well thought out coupling?

Image courtesy of Marvel Animation Age

Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

tb4000 is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was interesting seeing as how Rogue when she was initially created was the sexy southern belle that most dudes wanted but couldn't have, and Jean was the somewhat attractive but still isolated empath. Now Jean is the hardcore popular one and Rogue is the goth/emo.

Silverstar is offline Comfortably Dumb
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I personally didn't care for the would-be Rogue/Scott stuff myself, but I'm not a 'shipper', and I never really liked the Goth/emo version of Rogue all that much, so.....
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Joe Wagner is offline The one, true Scarlet Spider!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Easy answer - no, no, and no again.

Scott has always been in love with Jean, end of story. Considering they couldn't add the Wolverine element to the comic love triangle that played out for much of the 90's, I'm sure that they were looking for ways to add that element to the series. However, it just seems wrong somehow. Kind of like the whole Cyclops/Emma Frost thing they have in the comics right now.

Just my two cents.....

-Joe!
    "Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."
    - Prime Minister Winston Churchill

"Si vis pacem, para bellum."

The New Titans is offline Man of Marvel Marching Society
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was an interesting twist, I'll admit, I just wish it'd been developed more over the course of the show.
    OH MY GOD, THEY KILLED THE VULTURE!

W.C.Reaf is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked it and wished they could've played with it more. Two reason's why they couldn't 1) they weren't allowed to do any romance on the show (hence why we didn't see any of the couples kiss) 2) Fans of the comics will go “Scott and Jean forever!!!!" and/or "Rogue and Gambit forever!!!!!!!" example provided by Joe.

Evo was a new show with no existing continuity and could pick and choose what to use from the comics. It was done very well and fans should realise that this is not the comics and could do whatever the hell it liked. Sorry but I have a pet peeve with Evo fans who want to make it into the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
    I thought it was interesting seeing as how Rogue when she was initially created was the sexy southern belle that most dudes wanted but couldn't have, and Jean was the somewhat attractive but still isolated empath. Now Jean is the hardcore popular one and Rogue is the goth/emo.

Rogue was not created as the "sexy southern belle" she was covered up a lot and didn't show any of the figure we now see of Rogue in the comics.

Secondly: she was not "emo" and never displayed any of the personality traits. She barley even acknowledged that her mutation bothered her.

Finally: she was made into a Goth because that was what she'd be if a teenager had her powers.

Sorry for going a tad off-topic.

I don't really like any of the Rogue pairing (fan made or otherwise) but the way the show used both characters was good and I wish they'd have done more with Scott/Rogue at least in friendship in the later seasons.

Crash is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    'Meant to be?' Oh, heck no. That pair was doomed from the start. But they should have been. As a couple Scott and Rouge had much more chemistry that Scott and Jean. Mainly because Jean didn't have chemistry with anyone. At all.

...Jean never did impress me in Evolution...
    Nobody likes having to rise to a challenge, but competing against other people and getting in thier face to say 'ha-ha I'm better than you' is a part of life sometimes!

lordsmurf is offline Cartoon Collector
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nightcrawler is the only character I remember as having any personality whatsoever. The rest of them were pretty one-dimensional. It's not the way Stan Lee saw these characters, nor would such shallow characters have survived past the 1960s.
    ATTENTION CARTOON NETWORK:
    - Less anime! More traditional cartoons!
    - No more live action! What part of "cartoon" do you not understand?
    - Less so-called "adult" animated garbage.
    - You've forgotten the original goal of CN. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Sandoz is offline Thin Man Fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed the Scott/Rogue romance, and it was one of Evo's more successful subplots even though the relationship was doomed. (Though maybe that added to the relationship's bittersweetness.) Their scenes together in "On Angel's Wings" were more touching and genuine than any of Scott's scenes with Jean. Evo worked very well as a re-imagining of the show. It was at times radically different from the comics--why stick rigidly to the pairings? Lance/Kitty was the best pairing on the show, and it was much better than attaching her to Colossus just because they're together in the comics.

Mr. Paur's comments are interesting. I'd like to think they got together after the Dark Phoenix Saga was over. (The less said about Gambit/Rogue, the better.)
    "As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness that was very pleasurable, until I realized that it wasn't a nectarine at all, but a HUMAN HEAD."
    ~Jack Handey

Silverstar is offline Comfortably Dumb
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W.C. Reaf
    Evo was a new show with no existing continuity and could pick and choose what to use from the comics. It was done very well and fans should realise that this is not the comics and could do whatever the hell it liked. Sorry but I have a pet peeve with Evo fans who want to make it into the comic.
    IMO, You can't really blame people who wanted to see XME be more like the comics; after all, the comics came first; people expect to see the characters portrayed the way they're used to seeing them. Hardcore fans resist change. I mean, would you want to see a Justice League show in which all of the superheroes were teenage pirates, Superman was a grungy biker with a cocaine habit, Wonder Woman was a nun and Batman was a mincing metrosexual who said "Fabulous!" all the time? I can tolerate change if there's legitimate reasoning behind it and if the changes work well, but I've never agreed with changing established continuity just for sake of doing something different. Too many of the revisions on XME just came off as gratuitous to me, like they made a lot of stuff different just for the sake of being different.

Quote Originally Posted by Paur
    We played the relationship card with Scott and Rogue, she makes a play for him, and why not? If anyone has an idea of what she’s going through, it would be Scott. He lives in fear of losing control of his powers and killing someone; so does she. He had a lousy childhood; so does she. He always feels isolated because of his powers and of his responsibility; so does she. And he’s the one who reached out to her and brought her into an environment of warmth, family and friends. Why wouldn’t she make a play for him?
    Funny, to me the above statements are precisely why Scott and Rogue shouldn't have been a couple; they were too much alike. Pairings in which both parties are essentially the same are boring and unimaginative; IMHO, it's much more interesting to hook different personalities up, so there will be some necessary friction and character interaction. Scott/Rogue would have been dark brooding personality/dark brooding personality, and that's just not interesting to me. It's the same reason Robin and Raven would've made a lousy couple on Teen Titans. Too many fanfic writers do that; they pair up characters solely on the grounds that they have the same personality or they're the same race or they have the same or similar powers or wear the same colors on their costumes or some other superficial reason. One or two similarities alone isn't a foundation for an effective relationship.

As for the assessment that Jean was just "Miss Popular" who never did anything impressive or of note on the show, that's nobody's fault but the writers. Jean could have easily been a dynamic, multi-layered character on the show, but clearly the Evo writers had a Jones for Rogue and were obviously bent on making her the female star of the show. If Jean wasn't interesting, it's because the writers didn't make her very interesting. You can hardly blame that on someone else.

Last edited by Silverstar; 10-08-2007 at 11:05 AM.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast