Thread: Upfront

Goldstar Neo is offline What's up, Doc?
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toonatic View Post
    My predictions and hopes:

-Pound Puppies renewed for 4th season

-More acquisitions including Beetlejuice, The Tick, Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog, and Freakazoid

-Plans for My Little Pony on the Hub for it's 30th anniversary
    I think Disney currently owns The Tick, even though they're not currently doing anything with it. I really don't see The Hub acquiring Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog or Freakazoid. The latter has always been more popular with adults than with kids. Plus, there were only 26 episodes of F!, so it would have to air weekly, as a daily run would burn through episodes very quickly. As for AoStH, that series hasn't aged well.

As for Beetlejuice, that hasn't relevant for years, so I don't know why Hasbro would want to acquire it now, unless the movie sequel that's been talked about for decades actually gets made at some point.

I don't see The Hub doing anything special for My Little Pony's 30th anniversary, since the network can't air any episodes from MLP's previous incarnations and kids don't really care about MLP pre-Friendship is Magic.
    Last edited by Goldstar Neo; 01-18-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' twisted take on the world of cartoons and all things geeky.

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I do...

In any case, you never what might happen. Maybe they'll surprise everyone...

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You'd Better Recognize

Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar Neo View Post
    I think Disney currently owns The Tick, even though they're not currently doing anything with it. I really don't see The Hub acquiring Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog or Freakazoid. The latter has always been more popular with adults than with kids. Plus, there were only 26 episodes of F!, so it would have to air weekly, as a daily run would burn through episodes very quickly. As for AoStH, that series hasn't aged well.

As for Beetlejuice, that hasn't relevant for years, so I don't know why Hasbro would want to acquire it now, unless the movie sequel that's been talked about for decades actually gets made at some point.

I don't see The Hub doing anything special for My Little Pony's 30th anniversary, since the network can't air any episodes from MLP's previous incarnations and no one really cares about MLP pre-Friendship is Magic.
    Don't say that nobody cares for original classic My Little Pony! Cause you don't know what you're talking about. I've lurked on TONS of sites where people are watching ALL the previous incarnations of MLP- including TV Tropes and The All Spark. If you said, not as many people are as interested in the specials between '80s MLP and MLP:FIM that would be more accurate because those cartoons are more babyfied. But everything FIM and Lauren Faust are being praised for George Arthur Bloom and '80s MLP did first. They should've been airing MLP for years now.

As for The Tick, Sunbow should have the rights to it because it was only Sunbow that produced it not Marvel. The Tick (both live action and cartoon) would go well with The Aquabats. But I'd really like to see new Dungeons & Dragons, GI Joe, and Candyland cartoons. But it won't be happening in 2014.

Silverstar is offline The Hub is Dead to Me Now
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How interested people are in pre-FiM MLP is moot if Hasbro can't secure the broadcasting to those shows and specials.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Goldstar Neo is offline What's up, Doc?
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieB21:.)
    Don't say that nobody cares for original classic My Little Pony! Cause you don't know what you're talking about. I've lurked on TONS of sites where people are watching ALL the previous incarnations of MLP- including TV Tropes and The All Spark. If you said, not as many people are as interested in the specials between '80s MLP and MLP:FIM that would be more accurate because those cartoons are more babyfied.
    Yeah, that part was a mistake that was neither fair nor accurate. Sorry about that. I meant to say that kids don't care about the pre-Friendship is Magic MLP. Obviously, adults who grew up watching the specials and who talk about them on nostalgic websites do indeed care about MLP G1 and such, but today's kids, the ones who Hasbro wants watching The Hub and buying the MLP toys and other related merchandise, are too young to remember the 1980s TV shows or specials and therefore have no nostalgic fondness for them. therefore the only My Little Pony that they care about is Friendship is Magic and (maybe) Equestria Girls.

In order for any of the previous incarnations of MLP to get run on The Hub, today's kids would have to express a demand to see them. The Hub's daily schedule isn't aimed at nostalgic adults.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' twisted take on the world of cartoons and all things geeky.

Silverstar is offline The Hub is Dead to Me Now
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar Neo View Post
    In order for any of the previous incarnations of MLP to get run on The Hub, today's kids would have to express a demand to see them. The Hub's daily schedule isn't aimed at nostalgic adults.
    It's really more or less, I'd say. True, Hub doesn't play up the nostalgia angle when advertising the likes of Superman: The Animated Series, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons and the shows which air during kiddie time the way they do with shows like ALF or movies like City Slickers, but at the same time they don't go out of their way to discourage older viewers from watching them either. That they even acquired those shows in the first place is proof that Hub is more open to running older shows than say CN or Nick are (of course, the fact that Hub is less than 4 years old and doesn't have a comfortable backlog of its' own shows to fall back on is another important factor). Remember that for a while they aired the 80's G.I. Joe and Transformers series during the wee hours, so I could see them airing some of the earlier MLPs if they were able to secure the broadcast rights. Not that that's gonna happen this year or anything.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

ILDC is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Doesn't Hasbro now own most of the Sunbow catalog, including MLP?

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    They do, but apparently, the problem (according to Lauren Faust anyway) is that Hasbro had lost the rights to all but two of the 1980s My Little Pony names (the only exceptions being "Spike", and Applejack). I think that might have something to do with it, but it might be more complicated than that...

Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

ILDC is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandouga View Post
    They do, but apparently, the problem (according to Lauren Faust anyway) is that Hasbro had lost the rights to all but two of the 1980s My Little Pony names (the only exceptions being "Spike", and Applejack). I think that might have something to do with it, but it might be more complicated than that...

But long after she said that, I saw Hasbro selling/promoting G1 ponies.

bobbybop is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    According to this website 2014 Network TV Upfront and Digital NewFronts Event Calendar - MediaBizBloggers.com - Network Upfront Event Calendar - Jack Myers the discovery networks upfront is on April 3rd so that is most likely for when the hub upfront will be.