View Poll Results: To this point, who is your favorite character in the series?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Applejack

1 5.56%
  • Cutie Mark Crusaders, The

0 0%
  • Fluttershy

4 22.22%
  • Discord

0 0%
  • Pinkie Pie

1 5.56%
  • Princess Cadance

0 0%
  • Princess Celestia

0 0%
  • Princess Luna

0 0%
  • Queen Chrysalis

0 0%
  • Rainbow Dash

2 11.11%
  • Rarity

3 16.67%
  • Shining Armor

0 0%
  • Spike

4 22.22%
  • Twilight Sparkle

3 16.67%
  • Other (Please Specify)

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Undrave is offline Forever Burning Heart!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    I forgot to mention that as far as secondary characters go I really like Cheerilee. She's sweet, she's got a really nice voice and is a dedicated teacher but you can also feel she has depth she doesn't show her pupil much. A lot of scenes in Hearts & Hooves day, when she isn't under the potion's effect, shows some of her more cynical side. She's obviously been buggered about not having a boyfriend more than once in the past I'd like to see more of her... girl deserves to find a special sompony for real. We've seen her with Twilight a few times, I'd like to see them explore than friendship.

Rarity can be a drama queen but you can tell she KNOWS she's a drama queen and still do it. I mean the whole pulling a sofa to her, that was just meta, playing up her own role.

I hope we get to see more of Shining Armor and Cadence, they were interesting. You don't see much of the real Cadence but you know she loves having fun, doesn't take her title of Princess too seriously and DEEPLY loves Shining Armor. After her part of This Day Aria its hard to think her love isn't genuine. Shining Armor seems like a pretty solid and dependable kinda guy, not the most exciting but certainly someone you can count on.

"People who meddle with secret identities get their memories erased."
    -------------
    "You murdered your own alter ego? Sounds socially awkward."

Juu-kuchi is offline Everypony's Starry-Eyed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay after some bits of thought, (and a rewatch of Sweet and Elite), behold my list of ponies and my opinion of them.

1. Rarity - Like Season 1, Rarity continues to dominate when it comes to being my favourite pony. Now that they've established her character a bit near the tail end of Season 1, it seems that the writers have managed to work their way around with the character and not only play to her strengths but allow for Tabitha to bring in remarkably dynamic performances. Out of all the characters, I was exceptionally worried if they would ruin Rarity by simplifying her character to stereotype. But thankfully, they didn't and she comes out the most well-rounded, dynamic, multi-talented (Fashion designer AND Barber) and vibrant characters of the show, and so much so that I believe she is the only pony of the Mane 6 that can have a strong stand alone episode to herself.

In a way I find her to be kinda like the Osaka (from Azumanga Daioh) of the Mane 6 in the fact that is a sui generis character, a class of her own. Whereas Osaka was a new class of flake, Rarity is a new class of fashionista.

In short it still remains that Rarity 4ever.

2. Rainbow Dash - RD kinda grew on me this season (as well revisiting Season 1 episodes). She has quite a bit of great reactions and pieces to her name, and her focus episodes (aside of course from MMD, which is just some separate microcosm that best be forgotten) show her to be quite fun and quite quirky. You gotta hand it to her in episodes like Hurricane Fluttershy, where she is able to work on levels of loyalty, determination, guts and what have you. She rose up a bit for me.

3. Twilight - She's become quite a bit more adorkable this season indeed. Her spotlight episodes were very good, and her presence in a lot of the episodes was well-used and not very shoe-horned in. Her reduction in presence kinda stopped her from being too oversaturated, and Tara Strong continues to know how to make her well... Twilightlicious.

4. Applejack -
    AJ knows how to grow on you. Even though she's in the majority of the season's episodes, when she's not even a part of one I kinda feel something's missing without her down-to-earth poniness. She knows how to remain the most consistently written of the Mane 6, and her two episodes this season were high points to be sure.

5. Fluttershy -
    Not gonna lie, Fluttershy I find to be much more overrated than RD. Her demureness is endearing but quite frankly in light of the other three before Rarity she was just pretty good this season. That said, she was quite exceptional in her two main episodes. I dunno, this seems like a good place to put her.

6. Pinkie Pie - Shame really, but Pinkie really kinda dropped down a bunch from being Number 2 last season. I think it's just that here, her episodes were remarkably weak in their own way and despite all the gags and Smile Smile Smile it shows that they seem to at times put her antics before her character than vice versa. That leads to episodes with relatively questionable moral values like A Friend In Deed to episodes which could've needed bit more exposition and pacing like the MMMystery on the Friendship Express, which again mostly focused on antics. Cute antics to be sure, but still... Antics before character.

Well that was hard. I like everypony, but... here's my ranking.

The Huntsman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting. Has Pinkie Pie fallen out of favor? She came in second in the original poll, and in her character thread, most people voted that she was their favorite out of the main ponies. I know a lot of people were irritated by her in "A Friend In Deed", but I skipped the baby episode and the train episode, so I'm not really sure how that turned out.
    Watch The Amazing World Of Gumball on Cartoon Network!
    Follow Ben Bocquelet on twitter!
    Like The Amazing World Of Gumball on facebook!

Undrave is offline Forever Burning Heart!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Huntsman View Post
    Interesting. Has Pinkie Pie fallen out of favor? She came in second in the original poll, and in her character thread, most people voted that she was their favorite out of the main ponies. I know a lot of people were irritated by her in "A Friend In Deed", but I skipped the baby episode and the train episode, so I'm not really sure how that turned out.
    Pinkie just lacks subtlety and depth compared to other characters. She was at her best in Baby Cakes that's for sure. She can be cute and funny but not much else... and she, alongside Rainbow Dash, just so happen to be one of the easiest character to write wrong. Its too easy for her to devolve into crazy antics.

"People who meddle with secret identities get their memories erased."
    -------------
    "You murdered your own alter ego? Sounds socially awkward."

Juu-kuchi is offline Everypony's Starry-Eyed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What he said.

Pinkie always seems to work best as either a foil or a supporting character. Her supporting character moments in Season 2 were amazing for the majority part, and her inclusion with "It's About Time" provided a nice comparison to the worried Twilight. It's just that when she's the focus, she needs a foil to keep her in line and everything, or else she goes off the rails and so goes the story.

Baby Cakes, Huntsman, was not a bad episode per se, and it was probably the best written character wise for Pinkie. It's just that at the end of it all, it's a "Take care of babies but it's harder than it looks" story, and those are usually a dime a dozen. MMMystery was a pretty good endeavour with a lot of great gags and everything, but like I said, it wasted most of its time with Pinkie's wild accusations and after thinking about it, comes off as a better written MMDW, albeit one where the "Hey [insert pony here], you're doing it wrong!" was handled better.

King9 is offline Embraced One
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For me Pinkie has her moments. I enjoyed all of her season two episodes more than I thought I would. But what season two really taught me is Pinkie is most hilarious when paired with Rarity or Applejack. Twilight's too sardonic a straight man, but AJ's honesty and Rarity's drama make great foils for Pinkie's zaniness. This is why Hearth's Warming Eve and Putting Your Hoof Down were so enjoyable.
    Toonzone Bronies - "We would be honored to have you." ~ Twilight Sparkle

Silverstar is offline Pac It Up!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My ranking of Pinkie Pie hasn't changed from before; she and Fluttershy were my least favorites among the Mane 6 during the first season, and those rankings are the same now.

I agree that Pinkie works best when paired with a more logical character to keep her in line, like Twilight, Applejack or Rarity. Part of what makes Pinkie work is her contrast to the more "normal" characters on the rest of the show. When it's just Pinkie alone, it's just nonstop wackiness without any moments of coming up for air.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with a lot of what was said about Pinkie. I still love her, but I have to say that she's now behind Rarity, Fluttershy, Spike, and Twilight as my favorite regulars on the show (names listed not in order). A lot of her episodes during the second season focused way too much on her, and at least in my view, her episodes are better when she interacts more with other main characters. I may be in the minority when I say this, but I actually preferred her Season One episodes over Season Two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Huntsman View Post

Baby Cakes wasn't bad at all and neither was the train episode. I juts found that BC was a better Pinkie episode because its one where her antics worked AGAINST her and showed that being silly isn't going to work all the time. It wasn't like 'A Friend in Deed', which I also didn't mind, where by the end it feels like Pinkie learned something but SURPIRSE! She was right anyway, like she always is!

Baby Cakes truly felt like an episode where she actully learned something and goes along with episode like 'Applebuck Season', 'Feeling Pinkie Keen', 'Stare Master', 'Sonic Rainboom', and 'Suited for Success' where the characters learned that using their traits, talent, or sometimes elements to the extreme isn't a good thing and can backfire on them. Baby Cakes was that for Pinkie and while she did learn something in her other two focus episodes, Baby Cakes felt more like it hit home.

I think after seeing the popularity the character had during the first season, the writers tried to put MORE of that into the show but the problem with that is that not everyone LOVES Pinkie, at least to the point where they want to see her wackiness NEVER, EVER, END. This sort of takes away the cuteness factor she had and just renders her annoying to the point where you wonder why no one else has told her to just STOP which in a real life situation, would have happened MANY-A-TIMES....but this is a show about cartoon ponies so I can't expect something like THAT to happen, especially when the fan-base might erupt into a 'HOW DARE YOU DO THAT TO PINKIE!!?' tirade. XD

It might be that my greatest fear for the show is that they make Pinkie one big Karma Houdini where they show its okay for HER to annoy people with her antics since she's Pinkie and its supposed to be FUNNY, while another character will get the big lesson speech on how its bad for them and their friends.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12