Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Just throwing out my 2 cents on this since I just saw the commercials;

I grew up with the Care-Bears back when I was a kid and I remember that I was totally in love with these little things. I loved the original animated movies, the Dic and Nelvana (its Cookie Jar now isn't it?) series and for what its worth, I got a chuckle out of the Adventures in Care-a-Lot series even if I did find it a TINY bit bland and I didn't like how they focused a bit too much on five select bears instead of trying to include the HECK-TON of characters that were made for this franchise. Granted, the Nevela series did this as well but I digress.

As for the new series, it is DEFINITELY going back to its roots on this, from making the bears look like clones again, the big chubby bodies and all those other things but what I'm surprised about is how... mediocre the animation looks. I LOVE the original card illustrations but I guess that's because even though they do look the same, there is a sense of softness, cuteness, and an overall sense that someone knew how to freaking draw and paint. That worked, and it worked in the DiC show as much as everyone hated the designs there and yes, the Nelvana series did do a good job by making them cartoony and giving them things such as clothing, hair, ect much like Adventures in Care-a-Lot did. Now, how the paintings from the freaking 80s can look better than the fully rendered new CGI models is beyond me but I guess what it all comes down to is how you're using it. I saw the new CGI movies back when they ran them constantly on Disney but seeing these new shots now really makes me kind of sad that they went this route, if only because CG, when done badly, makes character designs look really cheap and even dated for their time. This is one of the reasons I DO like 2D more than 3D AT TIMES. 3D seems to work better when you have people at the controls who know how to make character designs and animation work as well as textures. The problem is, with somethings its not going to work and with Care-Bears, they brought back that cold, rubber-texture feel to this and I never understood why people think this looks good on ANYTHING, especially about a show that's supposed to be about cuddly, bright colored bears. Maybe they should have gone with something simpler or at least had CGI animation and design that looks....NEW.

Serisouly, I don't want to put my foot in my mouth but aside from Transformers, who's bot designs look AWESOME in CGI (not so much with the humans) CGI animation is starting to look really OLD, at least on the smaller screen. I guess I'm just tired of seeing the same textures, the same movements, and the real-world like environments even if they're supposed to be FAKE. Don't get me wrong, some small screen CGI series look AWESOME but what works for ONE series isn't going to work for EVERYTHING and I wish people would realize this and stop trying to force EVERYTHING that is animated either into CG or into Flash because for a lot of things, its limiting. I know people are SICK of hearing 'But will it be XX to MLP' but I think Care-Bears is a show that SHOULD have taken the MLP route in terms of just sticking to 2D. The animation, designs, and colors in the Cookie Jar series were great, even if I felt the way the stories were handled were REALLY heavy-handed. I don't know why they couldn't have just carried that over with some new designs. Is fully-drawn 2D animation REALLY that hard to come by now, especially when it comes to e/i programming?

But as far as story telling goes, it seems that they are going back to the route of having the Care-Bears interact with kids which I believe it or not welcome. This was one of the things that I LIKED about the Care-Bears to begin with was how they did help kids so I never really got it when they never did this as much in the Nelvana series or in Adventures in Care-a-Lot. I am aware there was a movie or something within the series that had them interacting with more kids, but yeah...I didn't see it so I don't know. All I saw was the DVD cover that had some Strawberry Shortcake look-a-like kid on the cover and that's all.

bobbybop is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the hub's facebook page has just posted a new picture of the new care bears series and that the series will preimere on june 2nd.
    Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbybop View Post
    the hub's facebook page has just posted a new picture of the new care bears series and that the series will preimere on june 2nd.
    Spoiler:

Neeeeh, again, its one of those things where I'm not feeling anything really new on the designs or anything. I mean, its the classic Care Bear designs that most of us grew up on but by the time, after seeing so much and much and much and MUCH CG after all these years, its starting to look OLD.

Judging on one shot isn't far thought and I will admit that right now but wow...it just looks so...unspectacular but then again, I sometimes get the feeling that because things are in CG we're supposed to go gaga over them.

bobbybop is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    here's the first offical trailer for care bears welocme to care a lot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=YoUVKkEIkQI

Bakertoons is offline Don't break a Pinkie Promise.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Apparently the Hub is hoping that this show will have their own "bronies".

...yeah, I don't think they understand why FIM got so much attention.

TheGunheart is offline Darkness and Disgrace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, see...no one latched on to Strawberry Shortcake, and this looks like its spiritual successor. It doesn't have a well-known cartoonist attatched to it, it doesn't have stylish animation, and I have a suspicion that it won't have any villains. Now, if it were like FiM-ized version of the Nelvana series, I could see it getting some fans, but this looks like simply a TV version of those direct-to-video movies they released in the '90s and '00s.
    Save a webcomic! Read Commander Kitty!
    YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ALL TANGLED UP, BUT IF ONLY I COULD MAKE YOU CARE...

The Huntsman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The more I hear about this show, the less inclined I am to give it a chance. It's sounding incredibly... pre-school, and it doesn't look much better.
    Watch The Amazing World Of Gumball on Cartoon Network!
    Follow Ben Bocquelet on twitter!
    Like The Amazing World Of Gumball on facebook!

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Try to understand that I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever to anyone's opinions, and that this is all just my own opinion. If anyone here is expecting the show to be like MLP:FiM, you're going to be disappointed. If anything, unlike that show (except when it is), this one will be more reflective of what the Care Bears franchise is all about (albeit brought to the present time). FiM simply can't decide whether it wants to be one thing or the other. It tries to please everyone by trying to be both, but all it really does is switch between the two things without any cohesion. With the new Care Bears series, after seeing commercials for it, it's clear to me that it knows what it wants to be and what it wants to do. This is all I could ever expect for any show, whether it's something like this upcoming show, or whether it's something like Transformers: Prime. With this in mind, I'm sure that this will be a great series, at least as far as the Care Bears franchise goes. Personally, I don't like it when a new installment or iteration of an established franchise tries to subvert itself in order to either attract "new" viewers, and/or please select groups of viewers, which means that I think it's possible to do both: make a new installment/iteration that brings back existing viewers while also attracting new viewers. However, it's even worse when a new installment/iteration tries to both play it straight and subvert itself at the same time, something I feel FiM does, but (at least at this point) which doesn't appear to be the case with the new Care Bears series, and for that reason, I'm certain that this new show will actually be watchable 100% of the time (again as far as the Care Bears franchise goes), unlike FiM which is only watchable 50% of the time.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just saying.
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

The Huntsman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandouga View Post
    Again, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just saying.
    Yet as has been pointed out many times since MLP:FIM premiered in 2010, you're in the extreme minority and most people wouldn't like the show if you had your way and got what you wanted. I mean, you're saying that Care Bears will be a better show than My Little Pony because Care Bears is aiming low and not trying to exceed expectations, allowing itself to succumb to the reputation of its predecessors. My Little Pony may not have been perfect, but it aimed high. Ambition should always be praised over stagnation.
    Watch The Amazing World Of Gumball on Cartoon Network!
    Follow Ben Bocquelet on twitter!
    Like The Amazing World Of Gumball on facebook!

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Huntsman View Post
    Ambition should always be praised over stagnation.
    Even if that's the only thing a show (much less FiM) has going for it? Even if it comes at the cost of a show's creativity or even the viewers' intelligence? Even if it means that a show has to try to be something it's not? FiM may have had ambition, but ambition by itself isn't enough. Moreover, it really ended up being too ambitious, resulting in everything I said in my last post. Now, being ambitious isn't a bad thing, mind you, but sometimes, sticking with what works also works. I suppose it depends on each individual show, but FiM was clearly trying to be ambitious and stick with works, all at the same time, and again, I already mentioned the results earlier. Sometimes it (doing both at the same time) works, but other times it doesn't, and FiM simply was one of those times it doesn't work in the long run. Okay, so this new Care Bears series may be sticking with what works, but as a result, it also isn't trying to be something it's not, either.
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast