nakak is offline Don't break a Pinkie Promise.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My Little Pony Season 2

Like This Thread!
    It's been a wild seven months but season 2 ended today. So, any thoughts?

I maintain that the show got better as more episodes come out. We got more episodes focusing on individual characters, animation has improved, alot more jokes, and even episodes focusing on other characters.

Here's a breakdown of all the characters and the episodes dedicated to them. There are some overlap, with two or more characters sharing the spotlight. I'm also discounting "The Return of Harmony" and "Hearth's Warming Eve" because it focuses on all 6 ponies together.

Twilight Sparkle - 5
    Cutie Mark Crusaders - 5
    Rainbow Dash - 3
    Pinkie Pie - 3
    Rarity - 3
    Applejack - 2
    Fluttershy - 2
    Spike - 2
    Princess Luna - 1
    Big Macintosh - 1
    Cheerilee - 1

Yes, for the sake of convenience, I'm lumping any episodes focusing on CMCs (whether as group or as individuals) into one.

Don_East is offline A regular character.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Season 2 had a better finale & better animation. That being said, I felt in terms of writing & consistency Season 1 is superior.

Characterization was consistent for the most part not to mention character focus & pacing. Even at Season 1's worst it didn't reach MMDW levels.

Not to mention how lopsided the focus episodes are compared to Season 1. Why is it that three supporting characters got more focus than most of the main cast?
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001160029169
    Anime Abomination: Hiatus (Curse You Blip)

Juu-kuchi is offline Everypony's Starry-Eyed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Since about halfway through the season, I find that Season 2 of FiM is a more experimental season than Season 1 ever was. One because Faust no longer had much of a role at this time, and two because they were experimenting on how to anchor the show without having to deal with shoehorning Twilight in anymore. As a result it is a might bit uneven due to that, but on the other hand, when episodes shined, they shined. They just need to find a way to balance out the prominence of characters, place them well within episodes, and overall learn what worked and what didn't. Also would help if they toned down the CMC presence, as well as maintain focus over characters over antics instead of antics over characters.

It's hard for me to peg down a preferred season, because although this had the lowest points for the show, it reached VERY high plateaus for the great episodes that make it hard for me to prefer one over the other.

Anyway, since I've been putting it off for so long, my episode list for Season 2.

1. Lesson Zero
    2. The Last Roundup
    3. Hearts and Hooves Day
    4. Sisterhooves Social
    5. Hurricane Fluttershy
    6. Putting your Hoof Down
    7. Sweet and Elite
    8. Secret of My Excess
    9. It's About Time
    10. A Royal Canterlot Wedding
    11. Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
    12. Read it and Weep
    13. Family Appreciation Day
    14. May the Best Pet Win!
    15. MMMystery on the Friendship Express
    16. Return to Harmony
    17. Baby Cakes
    18. Luna Eclipsed
    19. Ponyville Confidential
    20. The Cutie Pox
    21. Hearth's Warming Eve
    22. A Friend In Deed
    23. The Mysterious Mare Do Well
    24. Dragon Quest

Chaotix12345 is offline Told ya...the name's "Slash."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Honestly, I really enjoyed this season and preferred it to Season 1. Sure, there were a few episodes where the characterization got a bit inconsistent (Such as Mare Do Well), but in my opinion, the great moments outshined the few spotty ones and I was overall more entertained by it. The characters were still strong (For the most part), the fanservice was great, the comedy was top notch, the music was as fantastic as ever, the new villains easily trumped Nightmare Moon and were some of my favorite new additions to the cast, and with the E/I limitation shed, they were given a bit more freedom to craft more creative and bombastic stories without necessarily tieing a specific moral to it. If Season 3 is even close to being as good as this, then I'll be one happy camper.
    Official Reporter for Herotaku, home of the latest tokusatsu news!

Blankments is offline The Sparkle Rises!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't which season I liked more, but season 2 was still great. I definitely missed the Fluttershy focus this season, along with the focus on the character's bonds that season 1. Still, there were some fantastic episodes this season, but there was also a few bad ones, including the worst one in the series, Mare-Do-Well. Here's my ranking of the season.

1. It’s About Time
    2. The Last Roundup
    3. A Canterlot Wedding
    4. Hurricane Fluttershy
    5. Secret of My Excess
    6. Sweet and Elite
    7. Hearts and Hooves
    8. The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
    9. MMMystery on the Friendship Express
    10. Putting Your Hoof Down
    11. Luna Eclipsed
    12. Ponyville Confidential
    13. May the Best Pet Win!
    14. Baby Cakes
    15. Lesson Zero
    16. The Return of Harmony
    17. Dragon Quest
    18. Sisterhooves Social
    19. A Friend in Deed
    20. Family Appreciation Day
    21. Read It and Weep
    22. The Cutie Pox
    23. Hearth's Warming Eve
    24. The Mysterious Mare Do Well
    Last edited by Blankments; 04-22-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    I'm reviewing 2011 in film at my blog! Check it out!

Read my P&F and MLP:FiM crossover!

Vote in the Greatest Cartoon Character Ever competition!

King9 is offline Embraced One
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juu-kuchi View Post
    Since about halfway through the season, I find that Season 2 of FiM is a more experimental season than Season 1 ever was. One because Faust no longer had much of a role at this time, and two because they were experimenting on how to anchor the show without having to deal with shoehorning Twilight in anymore. As a result it is a might bit uneven due to that, but on the other hand, when episodes shined, they shined. They just need to find a way to balance out the prominence of characters, place them well within episodes, and overall learn what worked and what didn't. Also would help if they toned down the CMC presence, as well as maintain focus over characters over antics instead of antics over characters.
    That's a pretty good assessment.
    There was definitely a consistency issue in season 2. Excellent episodes would be nestled between average or uninspired ones. And very early on I realized that the order of the episodes was a bit wonky. They had the two Rarity episodes close to one another, two RD episodes, then there was that two or three weeks of Apple episodes. Regardless of the qulity of these episodes the staff should have spaced them out more. Poor Fluttershy fans didn't get to see any of her for the first half of the season. I didn't mind most of the CMC eps, but when they were so close together even I got a little tired of them.

Overall I like season two much better than one if for nothing other than the animation. It's soooo superior. Season one looks blocky and stiff in comparison. I also liked the plots of season two's episodes. Heck season two gave me my favorite episodes of the series.
    Toonzone Bronies - "We would be honored to have you." ~ Twilight Sparkle

JAG
    JAG is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man, seven months? That sounds a lot longer than it felt. Even in the low points, this season really flew by. I hope the same can be said for this summer...

Anyway, I mostly enjoyed this season. On the whole I'd say S1 was superior, especially in terms of Mane Six characterization. Most of their 'defining' moments, the lines and such that first come to mind when I think of them, are still in S1. That season heavily focused on establishing them and their personalities, while this one felt more like a spin-off type thing. Bonus material, or something along those lines. There were some good M6 character episodes this season, though. Sisterhooves Social, Sweet and Elite, Best Pet, Hurricane Fluttershy, and a few others.

This season did do a solid job of fleshing out side characters (eps like Luna Eclipsed and Family Appreciation Day, for example) and expanding the show's world, though. We got to see a lot more of Canterlot, we learned the basics of Equestria's founding, we met major world figures like Discord and Queen Chrysalis... and so on.

There were some low points, certainly. Mare Do Well, It's About Time, and one or two other eps come to mind. Even those were entertaining, though, if not critically 'good'.

This season also left some things to be desired. A Scootaloo focus ep, Rainbow Dash getting some kind of resolution to her dream of joining the Wonderbolts, maybe a little more focus on the Princesses, etc. I don't mind, though. Some things need to be saved for future seasons, of course. I'm sure we'll see this stuff addressed somewhere down the line.

So a generally good season, in my opinion. If S3 can maintain at least this level of quality, I'll be happy.
    "Of course, all this magic business is just so much bull dust. Isn't it? We civilized people know that such goings on are ridiculous gibber, don't we? Sure we do: we don't trust anything but our good, reliable horoscope."
    -Peter Hathaway Capstick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I started watching new episodes with the start of the 2nd season (after first watching the show with a repeat of the superlative "Part of One"), so I guess I'm kind of biased towards season 2. Firstly, my rankings...

(A) The Return of Harmony, Lesson Zero, Luna Eclipsed, The Mysterious Mare Do Well, Sweet & Elite, Secret of My Excess, The Last Roundup, Read it & Weep, Hearts and Hooves Day, A Friend in Deed, Hurricane Fluttershy, A Canterlot Wedding
    (B) The Cutie Pox, Baby Cakes, The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000, Putting Your Hoof Down, It's About Time, Ponyville Confidential, MMMystery on the Friendship Express
    (C) Sisterhood Social, May the Best Pet Win, Hearth's Warming Eve, Dragon Quest
    (D) Family Appreciation Day
    (F) None!

As you can see, I thoroughly enjoyed many of the episodes of this season, and there was only one real clunker for me--and even then, no complete failures.

There seemed to be out-and-out humor to me in these episodes, and that made them all the better. The animation took a step up, while the quality voice acting and music continued.

For a cartoon that's a new generation based on a 80s toy line, this show is amazingly good and enjoyable and consistently so. I can't wait for season 3.