View Poll Results: What are your favorite episodes of 'My Litte Pony: Friendship is Magic' (Season 2; Ep. 14-24)?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Last Roundup

13 65.00%
  • The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000

4 20.00%
  • Read It and Weep

4 20.00%
  • Hearts and Hooves Day

9 45.00%
  • A Friend in Deed

3 15.00%
  • Putting Your Hoof Down

6 30.00%
  • It's About Time

6 30.00%
  • Dragon Quest

3 15.00%
  • Hurricane Fluttershy

12 60.00%
  • Ponyville Confidential

1 5.00%
  • MMMystery on the Friendship Express

5 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    MetroSparkster is offline ...has nothing to say.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Favorite Episodes of MLP: Friendship is Magic (Season 2; Ep. 14-24)

Like This Thread!
    It's been a long ride (felt shorter, though), but in two weeks, Season 2 comes to an end.

April 21st is the big wedding and everyone is invited.

For now though, it's time to pick favorites from the second half of this season. Expressions and opinions all around!

Season 1/Episodes 1-12 Poll/Topic
    Season 1/Episodes 13-25 Poll/Topic
    Season 2/Episodes 1-13 Poll/Topic
    Last edited by MetroSparkster; 04-09-2012 at 05:53 AM.

Blankments is offline The Sparkle Rises!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My top three episodes of the season were here, so I'll just say why I like them best.

The Last Roundup - Not even counting Derpy, the episode overall is fantastic. All the characters get their own nice moments, and the chase scene at the end is fantastic. Probably one of the funniest episodes of the season too.

It's About Time - I'm a sucker for a good time travel episode, and this delivered. All the small bits really added up, and the final act with Pinkie, Twilight, and Spike is fantastic.

Hurricane Fluttershy - This was great just because it felt like a smaller story than usual. This season has definitely been more out there than the first season, and this episode was just a small character story between Rainbow and Fluttershy, and it was done perfectly. A real highlight.
    Last edited by Blankments; 04-10-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    I'm reviewing 2011 in film at my blog! Check it out!

Read my P&F and MLP:FiM crossover!

Vote in the Greatest Cartoon Character Ever competition!

TnAdct1 is offline !!!!!!!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My top 3 of the second half:

The Last Roundup - Even if you take away the Derpy scene, this is still a great episode (and one to show if you want to introduce anyone to Friendship is Magic). While you can predict the reason for Applejack not wanting to return to Ponyville early on (and a very understandable reason at that), the journey is still a fun one with plenty of laughs, a thrilling chase scene, and very sweet heartwarming moment at the end.

Putting Your Hoof Down - Yes, it's true that it has some "jerk" issues early on, but once Iron Will enters the picture, things begin to pick up. Among the pluses include an enjoyable antagonist in Iron Will (both in his personality and the fact that he's not really a jerk when compared to other one-shot antagonists), "assertive" Fluttershy feeling more natural than the version of "Fluttercruel" seen in Return of Harmony, and some great chemistry between her, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie (as having fellow Mane Six ponies in a strong supporting role was missing from the three episodes preceding this one). Besides, you can't help but give Fluttershy a comforting hug after the "I'm the monster" scene (especially with her doing the "reverse squee").

Hurricane Fluttershy - Another Fluttershy episode, but definitely deserving of the top three spot. Like The Last Roundup, there's a great mixture of "fanservice" (Fluttershy as a tree), humor (the muscular pony constantly going "YEAH!") and heart (the story's plot about Fluttershy being concerned about embarrassing herself when it comes to taking part in the tornado to deliver water to Cloudsdale for the rain season. Another plus is that after so many episodes this season where Rainbow Dash comes off as somewhat of a jerk, we finally see her in a more positive light here as she shows concern about Fluttershy being afraid of embarrassment and is determined to still bring water to Cloudsdale when a number of Pegasi getting sick results in the possibility of the whirlwind created by Ponyville's Pegasi not having enough power to complete the task at hand.
    Joe Klemm
    Toon Addict for Life and "gated community" member since August, 2002.

"ph34r t3h cute ones" -Megatokyo

Nel_Annette is offline Go green!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    o.o

Welp, it turns out TnAdct1 and I have the same exact top three, for almost the same exact reasons, so I'll talk about my number 4.

Hearts And Hooves Day is a great episode. You have Sweetie Belle being hilarious throughout the whole thing, lots of screen time from Cheerilee and Big Mac (who are hilarious even before they take the love potion.), and a great song. It's the strongest episode involving the CMC, and that's quite a feat in my book.

As for my top three, I will say some things. The Last Round-Up is a great episode that I don't think I really thought much of at the time. The entire meat of the episode was almost lost in all the Derpy stuff by a lot of people, myself included. Personally I didn't care for the Derpy scene, but the rest of it was pretty good. The chase scene is fantastic ("Rarity catch me!"). Fluttershy isn't even in my top 2 favorite characters, and yet her two focus episodes were my favorites from this half of the season.

King9 is offline Embraced One
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Voted for my top two: The Last Rounderp and Read it and Weep. The Last Roundup of course has 'dat Derpy, but it ended up being a really great episode. Chases in the desert, traveling across Equestria looking for AJ. It was cool. Red it and Weep is a sleeper favorite. RD is my least favorite (I love them all of course) so I didn't expect to love this episode yet I did. RD's obsessing over being an Egghead was very entertaining and cute.
    Toonzone Bronies - "We would be honored to have you." ~ Twilight Sparkle

JAG
    JAG is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Guess I'll just post my thoughts on all the episodes, like I did with the first half of the season. However, I've only seen each ep past SCS6000 once, and I'll definitely need to rewatch them to really form an opinion of them. On the whole, I'd say the first half of the season was overall stronger and more memorable, though time and multiple viewings of those eps are definitely factors in that. We'll see how the newer eps hold up in the long run. Anyway:

The Last Roundup: I seem to be in the minority here, but this one never did all that much for me. It's funny, certainly, and has a lot of great, memorable scenes. But those alone do not a great episode make. It was supposed to be an Applejack episode, and while she drove the plot and wrote the letter, she didn't really feel like the star. The episode, to me, feels like a series of Pinkie jokes held together by a somewhat forgettable AJ story. AJ really had this ep pulled out from under her, and that hurts it a bit in my eyes. It's still entertaining, though. 4/5 and Upper-Mid Tier.

The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000: This was the better Applesode, IMO. The Apples and their plight were clearly the central focus, with the other Mane Five relegated to support roles. AJ may not have learned anything new, but she definitely showed character development by putting Applebuck Season's lesson into practice and accepting help when she needed it. Add in a good song and entertaining antagonists, and we have a favorite-worthy episode. The only thing keeping it out of High Tier is the rushed ending. 4/5.

Read It And Weep: I voted for this one, too. Best Pet is still my favorite Dash episode of the series, but this was a pretty decent one, too. That was my first impression, at least; it's been a while since I've seen it. Dash learning to try new things is definitely worth a few stars, though. And the Daring Do sequences were pretty awesome. 4/5 and Upper-Mid, pending further viewings.

Hearts And Hooves Day: Cutie Mark Crusader Matchmakers! YAY! The CMCs learned a non-cutie-mark-related lesson, Mac and Cheerilee got some much-needed attention, we got a song, and this was just generally an all-around fun episode. 4.5/5, Upper-Mid, and favorite-voted. I would also like to take this opportunity to express my annoyance at the fandom's lack of CheeriMac fanfics. They'll make up stuff like Doctor Whooves/Derpy and ship them all day, yet when the show hands them a ship on a platter, they ignore it. Why?

A Friend In Deed: Meh. I might like this one better on a second viewing, but I doubt it. Pinkie definitely crossed the line from 'enthusiastic' into 'annoying' here. The ending felt... off, too. Even with the foreshadowing, it seemed a little 'out of nowhere' and forced. Even the musical number didn't do a lot for me. 3.5/5, and Lower-Mid Tier.

Putting Your Hoof Down: I really need to rewatch this one. I went into it with very low expectations, and I kept getting distracted while watching it, so I doubt I was completely fair in my low asessment of it. Still, New Fluttershy's abrasiveness was taken farther than it probably should've been, that I'm sure of. Iron Will was a good point, though. Pending further viewings, it gets 3/5 and Lower-Mid Tier.

It's About Time: Might be below Mare Do Well in my Low Tier rankings. The time paradox ending made no sense, and Twilight's obsessive-compulsive stupidity was taken too far, and unlike Lesson Zero it mostly wasn't even funny. My impression of it was that it was slapped together at the last second to capitalize on Lesson Zero's popularity, and the writer threw in Pony Hell and the other world-building stuff as an apology for turning out such a mediocre episode. I know that isn't what actually happened, but that's what it felt like to me. But I'm willing to give it an objective second chance when I rewatch it. For now, 2.5/5 and Low Tier.

Dragon Quest: I liked it on the initial viewing, but plenty of good arguments against it were made by its detractors here... I'll abstain from raking it until I see it again.

Hurricane Fluttershy: The crown jewel of this half of the season, for all the reasons that have been already stated. 5/5, High Tier, and favorite-voted.

Ponyville Confidential: Generally dull and forgettable. I don't have a lot to say about it. 3.5/5 and Lower-Mid.

MMMystery on the Friendship Express: Pinkie's best ep of the season. Good comedy, memorable side characters, and decently-executed mystery plot. 4/5 and Upper-Mid.
    "Of course, all this magic business is just so much bull dust. Isn't it? We civilized people know that such goings on are ridiculous gibber, don't we? Sure we do: we don't trust anything but our good, reliable horoscope."
    -Peter Hathaway Capstick

The Landstander is offline Thanks ants. Thants.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 for 3

I scrolled down and vaguely saw people were picking three, then I picked mine without realizing it was the same as both Nel/TnAdct1.

Must be a pretty solid three episodes!
    ~_~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Top 3 of the Season:

The Last Roundup - This episode had it all. Derpy speaking and named, Pinkie Pie at her most hilarious, epic music for the chase, wonderful gags and references all around. Not only one of the Top 3 of this set, but of the entire series.

Hearts & Hooves Day - Simply. Hilarious. The best CMC episode to me, bar none. I love the over-the-top romantic nicknames (and the reactions), the Twilight cameo, and of course, Sweetie Belle's "COME ON!!!" Nice to see an expanded role for Cherilee too.

A Friend in Deed - Another superlative episode. As someone who enjoys cheering people up, this one hit home with me. The song was epic and awesome, the best song of the series, I feel. Pinkie's fourth-wall-shattering and cartoonish reactions were great, and I, for one, loved the ending.

Honorary Greats:
    Read it and Weep - Another great RD episodes. The Daring Do parts were good, but Rainbow's parts were the best.
    Hurricane Fluttershy - The best Fluttershy episode, IMO. Loved the training montage (and the epic music), loved Twilight's technobabble, the Derpy cameos, and just about everything else.

Kookamunga is offline So Random
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Current episode opinions I felt like expressing:

The Last Roundup: Still one of my favorite episodes. Derpy became canon, Pinkie Rage, the exciting chase scene, and a heartwarming ending made it an all-around awesome episode.

The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000: One great Applejack episode deserves another, I suppose. The Flim Flam brothers were good antagonists to the Apple family and I just can't get tired of their song. And who can forget Applejack's hilarious letter at the end?

Hearts and Hooves Day: One of the better CMC episodes IMO next to Cutie Pox. Full of hilarious moments with Sweetie Belle, Cherilee and Big Mac's baby-talk, and those random feats of super-strength.

Putting Your Hoof Down: Upon watching the episode a few more times, I find not as great as I once did. The fact that almost everypony in that episode were jerks all of a sudden felt rather off-putting and if anything, Fluttershy simply stooped to their level, if not lower. I still find that scene where she tells off Pinkie and Rarity unnecessarily cruel and out of nowhere. Iron Will was cool and all, but I just consider the episode to be too mean-spirited and not one of my favorites.

MetroSparkster is offline ...has nothing to say.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Last Roundup -Simply put: Pinkie. Then Derpy. And then everything else. Oh, and AJ was there too.

Hearts and Hooves Day - To me, easily the best of the CMC-centric episodes, mainly because of Sweetie Belle. Then the intentional overbearing dialogue between love-poisoned Macintosh and Cheerilee makes this the funniest episode so far.

Putting Your Hoof Down - Fluttershy being awesome, if not a bit too harsh, during her assertive training. And of course there was Iron Will.