View RSS Feed

hobbyfan

Just speakin' my mind: Don't sleep on The Hub

Rate this Entry
by , 03-30-2012 at 10:30 PM (466 Views)
Ever since Discovery Kids morphed into The Hub nearly 18 months ago, we've seen a familiar business model emerge, and, in this writer's opinion, it's putting Nick at Nite to shame!

Yes, that's right. The Hub's prime time live-action lineup closely resembles something that might've bene on N@N a decade or two ago. They have Happy Days, Batman, Doogie Howser, Laverne & Shirley, and, starting 4/4, Mork & Mindy and Sabrina join the lineup. As Denis Leary used to say on MTV back in the day, the Hub is telling N@N, I think you hear me knockin', and I think I'm comin' in.

Of course, the Hub's cartoon acquisitions aren't anything to sneeze at, either. They picked off the Marvel Super Hero Squad, heisting it from Cartoon Network (Disney just didn't want it, it seems). They snagged Batman: The Animated Series, last on DisneyXD, and Batman Beyond. In time, they'll have all of the old Marvel-Sunbow toons that Hasbro co-produced back in the 80's airing on the channel somewhere on the schedule.

As for original material, Aquabats is set up very nicely on not only Saturdays, but in a cozy Monday night spot where the live-action Batman serves as a lead-in. Aquabats is a throwback to some of the crazier elements of the Krofft Supershow back in the 70s, and I find this to be more entertaining than any Power Ranger incarnation. Maybe it's because these guys are, like, adults and musicians?!

Dan Vs. will grow on me eventually, but I think the best way to do that is to give Dan a girlfriend.

Haven't seen Haunting Hour, but having seen Goosebumps and its copycats, my only response now is, well.........

Right now, Hub may be passing CN by. Not that hard to do, I know, but as long as Stuart Snyder insists on trying to reboot CN as a Nick clone, he's only going to lower CN's profile, instead of raising it.

What do you think?

Submit "Just speakin' my mind: Don't sleep on The Hub" to Digg Submit "Just speakin' my mind: Don't sleep on The Hub" to del.icio.us Submit "Just speakin' my mind: Don't sleep on The Hub" to StumbleUpon Submit "Just speakin' my mind: Don't sleep on The Hub" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

• ADVERTISEMENT
  • Find Us on Facebook
  • Games to Play, Download or Pre-Order Now
  • SITE UPDATES
  • UPCOMING PREMIERES
  • COMMUNITY BLOG ENTRIES

• GROUPS
  • ADVERTISEMENT

•