View Poll Results: How would you rate this movie?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll

76 81.72%
  • ****1/2

10 10.75%

4 4.30%
  • ***1/2

1 1.08%

1 1.08%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

1 1.08%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    MAXIMUS is offline The Hound
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"The Lord Of the Rings: The Return of the King" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

This Christmas the Journey Ends

"The Board is set, the pieces are moving....we come to it at last..." - Gandalf

Release Date: December 17, 2003
    Studio: New Line Cinema
    Director: Peter Jackson
    Starring: Elijah Wood, Sir Ian McKellen, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd, Orlando Bloom, Kevin Conway, Hugo Weaving, Brad Dourif, Marton Csokas, Bernard Hill, Sir Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Dominic Monaghan, Viggo Mortensen, John Rhys-Davies, John Noble, Liv Tyler, Karl Urban, Cate Blanchett, David Wenham, Miranda Otto

Plot Summary: Sauron's forces have laid siege to Minas Tirith, the capital of Gondor, in their efforts to eliminate the race of men. The once-great kingdom, watched over by a fading steward, has never been in more desperate need of its king. But can Aragorn (Mortensen) answer the call of his heritage and become what he was born to be? In no small measure, the fate of Middle-earth rests on his broad shoulders. With the final battle joined and the legions of darkness gathering, Gandalf (McKellen) urgently tries to rally Gondor's broken army to action. He is aided by Rohan's King Theoden (Hill), who unites his warriors for history's biggest test. Yet even with their courage and passionate loyalty, the forces of men--with Eowyn (Otto) and Merry (Monaghan) hidden among them--are no match for the enemies swarming against Gondor. Still, in the face of great losses, they charge forward into the battle of their lifetimes, tied together by their singular goal to keep Sauron distracted and give the Ring Bearer a chance to complete his quest. Their hopes rest with Frodo (Wood), a tiny but determined hobbit making a perilous trip across treacherous enemy lands to cast the One Ring into the fires of Mount Doom. The closer Frodo gets to his final destination, the heavier his burden becomes and the more he must rely on Samwise Gamgee (Astin). Gollum-and the Ring itself-will test Frodo's allegiances and, ultimately, his humanity. "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" concludes the epic story of these characters, their relationships and rivalries, and reveals how through courage, commitment and determination even the least of us can change the world.

Visit the official movie site here.

Comments?
    "Good cop and Bad cop left for the day. I'm a different kind of cop." - Vic Mackey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Its past 12 01 am here when the movie officially is released so I figured Id post a nice decked out Talkback
    "Good cop and Bad cop left for the day. I'm a different kind of cop." - Vic Mackey

czyznyck99 is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, what a sham. Paying eight dollars to see a long, boring, typical war movie complete with an ending twenty-five minutes too long. Where have I seen that before? Braveheart, Saving Private Ryan? Add that in with 250 high school girls screaming for the guys, and the repeated clapping of rather pointless moments, and my movie experience was deader than dead. This movie was no different than Matrix: Revolutions, in that it had very good special effects, but as a third and final movie, it sucked. So it will get the same rating of 1 star. I won't even get into a Czyz-nit explaining why this movie will mean nothing to you unless you are either a fan of the books, or have read the book, but most likely both.

Later.

Barb Gordon is offline Nin-Mod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Best Epic Ever

My mind is still reeling, and it's not over the fact that I'm still wide awake at past 4 in the morning. ROTK was just, it was...and....dude. Okay, so maybe still being up this late/early is affecting my ability to illustrate what I mean, but right now I'm still stuck in WOW mode. It may take some sleep for my thoughts to settle into any form of order to be able to write a good review.

It's over, this was the end - the end of it all. But oh lord what an end!!! The enormity of this final chapter of The Lord of the Rings was stunningly magnificent, both in its grandscale of scenes and emotional impact on the audience. I don't know about the tother heaters and audiences, but the one I was in cheered and applauded from start to finish. We were rooting for every character aloud, and there would be a mass cheer for the main characters or an overly incredible scene. There certainly weren't many dry eyes either, I cried a few times depending on the scene, regardless of whether it was a humorous or angst driven moment. Also a bit of screams and moans of horror *shudder* just the thought of spiders and.....ugh, don't even want to dwell on the Shelob scene anymore for right now.

Aragorn is my ultimate favorite of the characters, and to finally see his destiny and purpose in the tale fulfilled, and the way Viggo so wonderfuly portrayed this Numenorean was everything for me. The King had finally returned, in so much glory and valor and courage....and some damn sexy good looks too. This movie was really something else. All I, and the others I was with, can mull over right now is hoping that the three movies as a whole will finally get their overly due and deserved recognition come awards season. ROTK was not only the end of the tale, but the end of this epic trilogy on the big screen. It signals the pulling together of the three movies that began first year that seems so long ago.

Everyone I've talked to so far is eager for ROTK to get Best Picture. And right now I think it so very rightly deserves that title. It wont be just this movie that would be earning that award, it would the three movies together as a whole gaining the award, and all the actors and crew that put so much of their life into this fantastic adventure of fantasy.

Now it is time for me to dream some very blissful dreams of a certain rugged-looking Dunedain become King.....

~Barb

leaf on the wind...

RayChuang is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow.

Having just seen the film, I can say that The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is one of the finest movies I've ever seen.

Between the great storytelling, AWESOME acting performances by Ian McKellen, Sean Astin, Bernard Hill, Miranda Otto and Andy Serkis, some of the most breathtaking CGI special effects you've ever seen (WETA Digital, take a bow! ), and Howard Shore's excellent score, it is truly the best movie I've seen in 2003, no contest.

The very long Battle of Pelennor Fields sequence is truly one of the great landmarks in filmmaking, to say the least. The sight of that 200,000 strong army attack Minas Tirith will just amaze you with its sheer chaos and size of the battle.

I especially liked--

Spoiler:
    --the way the Lord of the Nazgul was killed. Miranda Otto's performance at this point reflect's J.R.R. Tolkien's original description from the novel perfectly. It's the type of performance that could earn Otto a Best Supporting Actress nomination, in my humble opinion.

By the way, the ending is actually very appropriate, in contrast to what some critics have said. I especially like the fact that--

Spoiler:
    Peter Jackson incorporated the final ending that was in a way a nod to the Epilogue that Tolkien deleted from the final version of the novel (you can read that from the book Sauron Defeated, one of books edited by Christopher Tolkien that described how his father wrote the novel). It really hits home that a great movie series has come to an end.

I'll give the movie 5 out of 5 stars.

Evil Dr. Reef is offline The King of Braves
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw it the midnight show last night, and it was amazing. A few thoughts:
    • I really thought the entire Frodo/Sam/Gollum story was well done. Gollum getting Frodo to distrust Sam worked out well. About the only thing I would have changed was less climbing and more Tower of Cirith Ungol action, but that is nit picking. Shelob was fantastic.
    • Eowyn + Fell Beast/Witchking = Win. I don't normally physically react to stuff I see in movies, but I clapped when she OWNED that Fell Beast.
    • Denethor setting himself on fire... ehh. It was cheesey when he started running like a drunken idiot out of the tomb, and it was worse that it was never mentioned again during the last hour of the movie. It's just... in the book, Denethor was an important character to the story. In the movie, he's just this one-dimensional annoyance in Minas Tirith.
    • The "Everybody's Happy Jump Up And Down" scene just kinda drove me mad. It seemed a little too "Frodo Baggins, this is your life!".
    • The use of slow motion in some parts was god-awful. I can't really think of anything specific at the moment (so I guess it really wasn't that bad ), but I remember thinking at a couple of the slo-mo parts "Man, this looks crappy".
    • That shot with Shelob right above Frodo outside the cave:
    • WETA Workshop > ILM.
    • Minas Morgul looked frigging sweet. End of story. The WitchKing was frigging sweet. End of story.

End of review. Well, sorta.

While I do have the complaints with the movie I listed above, it's still absolutely spectacular, and probably my favorite movie this year. 5 Stars, and the best possible conclusion to the films I could ever dream of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Funny things to do during the Lord of the rings (I stole this from another message board but its soo funny)

Stand up halfway through the movie and yell loudly, "Wait... where the hell is Harry Potter?"

Block the entrance to the theater while screaming: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

After the movie, say "Lucas could have done it better."

At some point during the movie, stand up and shout: "I must go! Middle Earth needs me!" and run and try to jump into the screen.
    After bouncing off, return quietly to your seat.

Play a drinking game where you have to take a sip every time someone says: "The Ring."

Point and laugh whenever someone dies.

Ask the nearest ring-nut if he thinks Gandalf went to Hogwarts.

Finish off every one of Elrond's lines with "Mr. Anderson."

When Aragorn is crowned king, stand up and at the top of your lungs sing, "And I did it.... MY way...!"

At the end, complain that Gollum was offensive to Ethiopians.

Talk like Gollum all through the movie. At the end, bite off someone's finger and fall down the stairs.

When Shelob appears, pinch the guy in front of you on the back of the neck.

Dress up as old ladies and reenact "The Battle of Helms Deep" Monty Python style.

When Denethor lights the fire, shout "Barbecue!"

Ask people around you who they think is the next "Terminator" sent from the Middle Earth of the future to assassinate Frodo Baggins.

In TTT when the Ents decide to march to war, stand up and shout "RUN FOREST, RUN!"

Every time someone kills an Orc, yell: "That's what I'm Tolkien about!"

During a wide shot of a battle, inquire, "Where's Waldo?"

Talk loudly about how you heard that there is a single frame of a nude Elf hidden somewhere in the movie.

Start an Orc sing-a-long.

Come to the premiere dressed as Frankenfurter and wander around looking terribly confused.

Remove the top off your drink, then proceed to light the straw on fire and tell people in the seats around you about a great battle that took place in
    your cup long ago.

When they go in the paths of the dead, wait for tense moment and shout, "I see dead people!"

Imitate what you think a conversation between Gollum, Dobby and Yoda would be like.

Release a jar of daddy-long-legs into the theater during the Shelob scene.

Wonder out loud if Aragorn is going to run for governor of California.

When Sam holds Frodo's hand (or otherwise), start singing, "The Ambiguously Gay Duo!"

When Shelob comes on, exclaim, "Man! Charlotte's really let herself go!"

Barb Gordon is offline Nin-Mod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    lmao, that's amusing. My friend and I did that a little through the movie. We were like....woh, what happened to Charlotte?! And when Legolas first came onscreen my friend said "pirate!" During the scene where Aragorn goes to meet the army of the dead both of us kept bantering back and forth how they main dead guy was so like Barbossa....and when Aragorn kept asking "what say you?" we were muttering Aye! under our breaths - it was all so much fun.

Eowyn was fantastic, just like I pictured her in the book. Was a little disappointed that they took out the Healing House scene. I wanted to see more concerning Aragorn, Faramir and Eowyn. Granted that's what the extended edition is for, heh, but I know even Viggo has mentioned he wished it had stayed in, so it must have been nifty.

The Battle of Pelennor Fields was absolutely stellar. I kept gasping sometimes, both in amazement at the CGI and at the scene itself. When they went ramming into the throng of Orcs, then when the group of elephant like creatures came around and was plowing through the army, to when Aragorn and the others arrived on the pirate ships with the army of the dead for a surprise attack - my eyes were so wide and I was just giddy with excitement.

Did anyone dress up or see anymore dress up? There were a few people in Rennaisance gear, cloaks and Elvish attire at my theater, but not as many as I had expected. I dressed in a lot of brown for a woodsy feel and wore my Evenstar. It was cool because the moment I entered the theater with my friends everyone kept glancing my way. One of the girls in our group kept saying, oooo I love staring at it because the light catches it so beautifully, it's so shiny!

~Barb

leaf on the wind...

The Clown Prince is offline My God carries a big Hammer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I caught a midnight showing as well for this. Just spectacular. Simply amazing, awesome, and wonderful. This was a great final movie to a trilogy I have given so many hours of my life watching. Repeated viewings of each of the first two theatrical versions and of course the extended versions.

Highlights for me...

Shelob
    Grond
    Witch King/Eowyn I wasn't expecting to see the Witch King speak!
    Sam and Frodo finally making it to Mt. Doom
    The destruction of Barud Dur (Spelling?)
    The eagles coming to fight the Nazgul
    And of course, the ending.

While as wonderful as this movie was, there was A LOT that was cut from it. Peter Jackson said in an interview recently with IGN that with everything in, they had a 4 hour 15 minute cut. Below here are some things that cut/most likely cut and will show up on the extended edition. These are things that other fans noticed and myself. Peter Jackson's philosophy for this trilogy was shoot everything and work it out later. The subject thread says spoilers so I'm not gonna use spoiler tags for these....

No Voice of Saruman (Saruman and Grima getting killed)

No Aragorn-Sauron Confrontation via Palantir

No Crossroads

No reference to Palantir in Minas Tirith (Denathor having his own)

No Ghan-Buri-Ghan, Beregond, Bergil, Ioreth, Prince Imrahil

No Gandalf-Witch King Confrontation

No Mouth of Sauron

No Merry kneeling before Theoden before going to Minas Tirith (seen in the trailer doing this)

No Houses of Healing, no Aragorn as healer. Begins the Faramir/Eowyn romance. We don't see Eowyn, Faramir, and Merry getting healed after the battle at Minas Tirith. Jumps right in to the march to the Black Gates. Merry is a fast healer apparently in the theatrical version without this scene. Eowyn isn't seen again until the very end of the movie standing next to Faramir with NO speaking lines.

No scene showing Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas and the Dead taking the Corsair ships. Probably was left out to make thier arrival at Minas Tirith seem more dramactic.

No Eomer crying, holding Theoden. (Is seen in the trailer doing this)

The Orc commander just seemed to disapear didn't he? His death wasn't shown unless I missed it.

No epilouge (rumored epilouge with Galadriel voice-over. Like her voice work in Fellowship and TT)

I can't think of it's name, but the watcher statues with the 2 heads on each side that Sam encounters while trying to save Frodo from the black tower are shown, but do not block his way. Shown at least to give a nod to the fans.

No Frodo and Sam marching with Orcs. May not be even intended???

No Faramir-Eowyn romance nor wedding

No Galadriel at Aragorn/Arwen's wedding

Those are just some of things. With an extra hour of footage that Jackson cut out, maybe we'll see most of this. And maybe more Minas Tirith battle footage as well.

Sadly Legloas, Gimili, and Faramir's roles were a lot less in this movie. Because of the edits I'm sure. Espeicially with Faramir.

There's been some observations that the Orc commander looked too much like Sloth from Goonies. I gotta agree. For someone like him, they really should have made him the fiercest, bad ass looking Orc that they could have designed. But no.

Unless New Line makes it come out earlier, it's gonna be a long wait until next November when ROTK extended comes out.

Those mentions of cuts aren't to take away from anything. This was a great movie that I hope cleans house at the Oscars.

The Clown Prince
    "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'

Elf
    Elf is offline Long time indeed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm gonna watch it Friday night because I have to do exams.
    Welcome...to divorce...OF THE FUTURE.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast