0 Post(s)

Lost In Translation Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Everyone Wants To Be Found

Release Date: September 12, 2003
    Studio: Focus Features
    Director: Sofia Coppola
    Starring: Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson, Anna Faris, Giovanni Ribisi

Plot Summary: Bob Harris (Murray) and Charlotte (Johansson) are two Americans in Tokyo. Bob is a movie star in town to shoot a whiskey commercial, while Charlotte is a young woman tagging along with her workaholic photographer husband (Ribisi). Unable to sleep, Bob and Charlotte cross paths one night in the luxury hotel bar. This chance meeting soon beomces a surprising friendship. Charlotte and Bob venture through Tokyo, having often hilarious encounters with its citizens, and ultimately discover a new belief in life's possibilities.

Visit the official movie site here.

Comments?
    Minor style edits by The Penguin. Good job Jimmy!

Pretty good. Not really funny, but a good friendship movie. Too bad I went alone, the whole reason I waited two weeks since it was released in my city was I wanted to go with someone. I was tired of waiting and broke down and saw it. Good news is it's one of those movies I'll see more than once since someone will drag me to it.
    Last edited by Jimmy Kustes; 10-05-2003 at 10:29 AM.

Shnay is offline Ne'er-Do-Well
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There were no big plot events, no character revelations, and no lessons ot be learned. And I loved it. I had seen a few European films do this type of movie before, but I was waiting for an American director to do something like this for a long time*. I was surprised that Sofia Coppola was the one to do it, though, as I thought her last film, Virgin Suicides, was terrible, and an absolute abomination of the book.

*[Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I'm sure there have been people to do it, but I can't really remember one like it off the top of my head]

I disagree with Jimmy, in that I thought it was pretty funny. Not the funniest ever, but those in the theater were laughing regularly. Murray was the funniest he's been in a long time, Johansson filled her role nicely, as did Ribisi. The one who steals the comedy show, though, is the young blonde who nails the part of the ditzy movie star. Seriously, she does the best parody of stupid actresses I think I've ever seen.

The writing could have been a bit better. I think Sofia Coppola really has some room to improve in the writing department, but (for the most part) what she did here was very good.

If anybody saw Adaptation and thought the speech about writing a movie where "nothing happens" sounded really appealing, then this movie is for you. 4 out of 5 stars.
    Last edited by Shnay; 10-05-2003 at 05:23 PM.
    Toon Zone Book Club: Now reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.
    Give a hoot, read a book.

Xfox is offline I love purple haired girls
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was great. It was very funny, much more than I thought it would be. And everyone's performance was excellent. It's been a long time since I've seen Bill Murray in a great role. The movie also does a great job of the culture clash. Bill Murray's appearance on that oddball talk show is a great example.

A few small complaints- The movie dragged in places. I especially thought the karaoke scene could have been shaved down. Also, Giovanni Ribisi's character disappears at the end. Where did he go?

Overall though, an excellent movie. Of what I've seen so far this year, it ranks up there.

1. Shaolin Soccer
    2. Lost In Translation
    3. Finding Nemo
    X Marks the Fox
    My website of art and fanfic

JLApe is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The actress playing the actress is Anna Faris, from Scary Movie. I though she was good. She makes me wanna hate her.

Ribisi's character always disappear. He's got too much work, or so he says.

The strip bar scene was hilarious, especially the song that was playing (too racy to print it here ).

Overall, terrific film. Yep, no typical Hollywood plot twists, and that's what made it so good. 8/10

Jimmy Kustes is offline Duncanzits
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This film also had a lot of people that were slightly older than my mom. I would say I was the youngest there and I'm 19. Of course this was the art house theater and that is what happened at my first viewing of Spirited Away. But it wasn't that way with Cowboy Bebop!

Also this is my favorite drama that I've seen in theaters this year. Bend It Like Beckham was 2nd but I like darker more cold-feeling movies. Like Lord of the Rings.

And some questions!

Did anyone get the feeling that this will be a movie where we have to wait a long time for the DVD like Chicago and Confessions of A Dangerous Mind or about the normal amount of time like A Mighty Wind?

Anyone noticed Bill Murrey's character is named Bob? They even print this on the trailer and I didn't notice it then!

Best Action 2003

X2 and Cowboy Bebop

Best Drama 2003

Lost In Translation and Bend It Like Beckham

Next Week Kill Bill!
    Last edited by Jimmy Kustes; 11-14-2003 at 03:23 PM.

Chris Wood is offline Desslar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cool movie. Having lived in Japan before it was fun to see many aspects of the culture explored. This is one of those films that succeeds on atmosphere (Blade Runner is another that comes to mind). The audience feels less like it's watching a story roll along and more like it's sharing a moment in time with the characters.

The only bit that didn't make much sense was that weird hooker who seemed to have come straight from a subpar Saturday Night Live skit.

Shnay is offline Ne'er-Do-Well
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JLApe
    The actress playing the actress is Anna Faris, from Scary Movie. I though she was good. She makes me wanna hate her.
    Ooooooh yeah....I guess I didn't recognize her as a blonde. She's great; she deserves to get a lot more roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Desslar
    The only bit that didn't make much sense was that weird hooker who seemed to have come straight from a subpar Saturday Night Live skit.
    I dunno, I thought it was funny by the end. Although, the "L" and "R" joke used in the beginning of that bit, and a few other times during the movie, were probably the weakest points.
    Toon Zone Book Club: Now reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.
    Give a hoot, read a book.

moreysurf8 is offline not only possible, essential
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw this yesterday (it's been re-released around the country) after waiting to see it for awhile, I just fell in love with it. Many moviegoers may find it slow or uneventful, but I was completely interested in it. Coppola did an exquisite job with the direction. Bill Murray gives the best performance of his career as Bob. His muted and washed out performance is excellent And Scarlett Johansson--along with her work in Ghost World and The Man Who Wasn't There--has proven herself to be one of Hollywood's best young actresses, and someone who I've truly grown large amounts of respect for. Overall, one of the best movies of the year and my 2nd favorite film of the year.
    I should really update my sig