0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
    Auggie Doggie is offline Timmy Turner
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hocus Pocus

Like This Thread!

I saw it a few times recently on Disney Channel.

In any case, am I like the only person on the planet who likes this 1992 movie about three witches who reek havoc on modern-day Salem, MA? I thought there were some nice elements to the story, including the boy having a hard time adapting to his new environment moving from LA to Salem and the message about brothers and sisters.

What do any of you think of this film, which I find to be a fond memory of my childhood?
    I think Scooby-Doo is knida over-rated and all of the HB Dogs should be praised.
    Wouldn't it be great if their could be more Peanuts specials on DVD?
    It was just what my career needed - I was at the top and now I'm at the bottom.
    -Halle Berry, after "winning" the Razzie Award for Worst Actress

Bubblegum Girl is offline Magic User Wannabe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You're not alone my friend. I really like that movie too. It's one of my favorite Halloween movies. I just love Halloween movies and TV specials. I once saw Hocus Pocus on HBOFamily.

Yuss is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's one of those movies that I like only because I liked it when I was little. I do like it, though.

Elven Moon is offline hiya, toonsters
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw it in the theater in 1993 when it came out. I was... 12. And yes, it is a part of my childhood fond memories, even if I don't watch it anymore.
    "You look like an ugly sister's... ugly sister's... ugly doll... thing" - Victor Volt, The Secret Show
    ° Cels of Sugar: Megan's Cel Gallery °
    ° Retro Shoujo °

Conekiller is offline On the Cruise!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My mom wouldn't let me wathc it when I was younger cuz of the massive ammounts of cleavage.

I saw it on video

Remembering Ben Feld,
    AKA Shogunthethird.
    A great friend, taken before his time.
    Memorial Thread

http://conekiller.deviantart.com/

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I saw this in the theater, too. I don't know why. I must have been 17 when it came out. I remember paying the most attention to the fact that Charles Rocket was in it, because I had just read a book about Saturday Night Live recounting how he got fired for saying the fabulous F-Word on the air.

It's worth remembering, though, because it was one of Thora Birch's first major roles. She was probably 10.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Behonkiss is offline Just put an X here and here...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll just be the first to say I completely hate this movie.

Drachent÷ter is offline Good night. And good luck.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was pretty funny and original. An excellent family movie. Bette Midler was hilarious and Sarah Jessica Parker was hot.
    "But what is the difference between literature and journalism? Journalism is unreadable and literature is not read. That is all." - Oscar Wilde

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Love truth, and pardon error." - Voltaire

aftertheomega.blogspot.com

Terminatah is offline Badass Cyborg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This movie is classic Halloween magic. From a time when kids' movies were treated seriously. And Bette Midler's musical number is the icing on the cake. This is one of the required viewings of the holiday.

-Terminatah
    wuh oh

DarkPoet89 is offline Soujiro's back!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember seeing this movie in a theater when I was about 7. I loved it then and I still love it now. I remember loving the scene where the witches were singing that "put a spell on you" song and everybody couldn't stop dancing. It was hilarious! Ah, such good memories of my childhood.
    "You can die at any time. But living takes true courage."-Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin

Old Guy is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This movie is a childhood favorite of mine. I try to see it every Halloween season. I actually saw it this afternoon to be exact. It has the right amount of "horror" and humor. What's shocking is that the movie was directed by Kenny Ortega, the mastermind behind High School Musical. Oh, and Allison (Vinessa Shaw) was hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    My mom wouldn't let me watch it when I was younger cuz of the massive ammounts of cleavage.
    LMFAO.

Tobias is offline Who you gonna call?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never got the hatred that most people for this Disney movie. It's like the haters wanted it to be darker and more sinister, forgetting that it's a DISNEY movie.

I saw in the theater as well, although I was kind of thrown by the fact that there were scenes in the trailer (like the witches winding up in a grocery store) that weren't in the final cut.

Another thing that helped was that Omri Katz (Max) had previous experience with the supernatural, having starred in Eerie, Indiana just a few years previous.

And yes, 'I put a spell on you' was the highlight of that movie. I'd love to have an MP3 of that song.

Luna is offline Daydreamer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like this movie....I first saw it when it came out on video....I enjoyed the Sanderson sisters (played by Bette Midler,Sarah Jessica Parker,and Kathy Najimy) alot,and also liked Binx the cat (voiced by Jason Marsden)...
    I bought the DVD last year,and will be watching it again this year as it gets closer to Halloween...
    "Yeah,well,I've got a dream too.But it's about singing and dancing and making people happy.That's the kind of dream that gets better the more people you share it with.And well,I've found a whole bunch of friends who have the same dream.And it kind of makes us like a family." -Kermit the Frog (The Muppet Movie)

Old Guy is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I never got the hatred that most people for this Disney movie. It's like the haters wanted it to be darker and more sinister, forgetting that it's a DISNEY movie.
    I wasn't even aware that people hated this movie.

I saw in the theater as well, although I was kind of thrown by the fact that there were scenes in the trailer (like the witches winding up in a grocery store) that weren't in the final cut.
    I didn't see it in theaters. I saw it when it came out on PPV. Also, when I was in Elementary School it, along with Nightmare Before Christmas, were always shown on Halloween. It was like a school tradition for some reason.

Another thing that helped was that Omri Katz (Max) had previous experience with the supernatural, having starred in Eerie, Indiana just a few years previous.
    Yea. That kid was awesome. Whatever happened to him?

And yes, 'I put a spell on you' was the highlight of that movie. I'd love to have an MP3 of that song.
    I love that song!

Movie06 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm amazed that Mick Garris actually wrote the film.