Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Tommy Lawson is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sad News- John Ritter Dies

Like This Thread!

Sad news today, as John Ritter, famous for his work in the 70s sitcom Three's Company and most recently, in ABC's 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter has died of a massive heart attack at the age of 54. It's such a sad shock for him to die so young, and it's awful that it had to happen while he still had a sucessful young sitcom series just getting ready to start its 2nd season.

Rurouni is offline Cold as Ice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Lawson
    Sad news today, as John Ritter, famous for his work in the 70s sitcom Three's Company and most recently, in ABC's 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter has died of a massive heart attack at the age of 54. It's such a sad shock for him to die so young, and it's awful that it had to happen while he still had a sucessful young sitcom series just getting ready to start its 2nd season.

Seconded. This is truly one of those came out of nowhere deaths. Ritter always seemed like a really nice guy, 54 is way too young to go.

Don't know what ABC will do about 8 Simple Rules now, (he collapsed while taping an episode of the show for the 2nd season) but that's probably not important at the moment. Condolences to his wife Amy Yasbeck and his children.
    Last edited by Rurouni; 09-12-2003 at 07:58 AM.
    -Rurouni

"It's my role in life to be the world's punching bag."-Urashima Keitaro

The Lizard is offline Will Gladly Pay You Tuesday
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I heard this about 15minutes ago, and I'm shocked! John was of course one of my favorite actors, and this is very sad news I can guarantee that John Ritter will be missed.

RIP
    (1948-2003)

-The Lizard
    "This time of year sucks, so I take my nunchucks, and make sure every snowman dies"-Davey (8 Crazy Nights)

"I hate folks that think reindeer are cute, to me their just somethin' to shoot, I hate love, I hate you, I hate me"-Davey Stone (singing) (8 Crazy Nights)
    Duck Twacy: Scram Sherlock! I'm workin' this side of the street!
    ~The Great Piggy Bank Robbery (1946)

Tobias is offline Who you gonna call?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know what to say to this. He was just starting to make his comeback to television in primetime, and had a successful PBS series in "Clifford the Big Red Dog".

This is truly a sad day for all. I hope ABC does pull the plug on 8 Simple Rules, there's no way they could continue on now. Just show the few episodes that got taped for Season 2 and release them all on DVD to let people remember Mr. Ritter for the great actor he was.

Goodbye, John, I hope you're making people laugh in heaven with your great talent.

EightOh is offline They're fake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I came into this forum to see if the news about Johnny Cash had been posted... and now this. God.
    What's offensive about the most religious instrument ever?

HelloKittyKat is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All I can say is: damn

Joe Mama is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is a sad day and it just makes it even worse because it's only been one day after 9/11

EightOh is offline They're fake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah. It's been a really rough week. Warren Zevon, Harry Goz, and now Johnny Cash and John Ritter.

His performance as the extremely creepy "completely insane threatening wannabe authority figure/oh, he's robot" Ted in the Buffy episode, uh, "Ted," was really, really impressive, as was his performance in Sling Blade and many other films and shows. He was really gifted, and seemed to be one hell of a nice guy, to boot.

Such a shame. I still can't believe it.
    What's offensive about the most religious instrument ever?

Knightmare is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He was one of my favorite actors. He always seemed like such a really nice guy.

Thank you for the great times Mr. Ritter.
    Who knows what is really real..... that's the true question in life.

Simpler Simon is offline Always in Style
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah man....

I'll admit that most of the celebrities who have passed away recently have only been (legendary) names to me, but John Ritter was someone I remember from my childhood, mainly the Problem Child movies and then later reruns of Threes Company and the movie IT. Very underrated comedic actor, and it's very unfortunate that he left us so young.

Elven Moon is offline hiya, toonsters
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    John... Ritter... what?!? All I can say is... wow... and what the hell? I'm in complete shock. I mean, this is out of nowhere!
    "You look like an ugly sister's... ugly sister's... ugly doll... thing" - Victor Volt, The Secret Show
    ° Cels of Sugar: Megan's Cel Gallery °
    ° Retro Shoujo °

Jade_GL is offline An Aperture Science Original
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Whoa, just whoa.

I feel like I'm living in a surreal moment.

All I can say is that it's a real shame. He was so young and still had a lot to give through his sitcom and possible future roles. What a shame.

I don't know what to say. WHoa.
    If you dig games, movies and other interesting topics, come and listen to the Happy Pineapple.com Podcasts, hosted by Scott and Erin. Be gentle, we're still learning...

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I was certainly surprised. Poor guy. Hope it wasn't too painful. It's funny, but it almost sounds poetic that he collapsed during an episode - "doing what he loved to do" - but I hope that he had a chance to see his family during or before the attack. Actors on a soundstage are still just folks at work, away from those they love...

I think I'll remember Ritter most for his role as Frank L. Baum in the television mini-series (also starring Annette O'Toole), as well as his performance in Stephen King's IT (alongside Annette again), which I saw again recently. I found his comedy less to my liking, but there's no denying that this guy was loveable. When I heard the news, the first thing that flashed through my mind were all his jokes on during the cast and director's commentary of IT. During one scene, while his character is making out with a gal after winning an award Ritter deadpanned "This scene was originally filmed horizontally". It was also obvious that he had great respect, and a huge crush, on Ms. O'Toole. I'm glad he participated in that commentary, if only because it gives me something to relate him to today. (Three's Company was a little before my time).

Hope everyone can deal with the news as well as possible though. We've been losing too many beloved entertainers lately all this is all becoming numbing. I'll definately give the final episode(s) of 8 Simple Rules a watch. Tough day for the cast and crew to lose a friend and coworker, as well as their jobs. Is there any chance the show could continue? It would certainly be a first to see a series live on beyond the death of it's star, and I don't think John, or any actor, would want the show to end just because they're not able to perform any more.

Weird. That's life I suppose. Does anybody know what brought on the attack? A stressful moment? Hopefully he went as well as possible. When my Dad told me, he was obviously sad. Three Company was one of his favorite shows. My Dad isn't a hugely emotional guy, so for this to bother him...well...nice work, John.

sag_2002 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Today's sucked so far. First we lose Johnny Cash, now John Ritter leaves us. Damn.
    Weird quote of the moment

YYYYAAAAAYYYY!!!!!

I was three of the movies before they were dubbed.

Tanooki is offline Supplexing disease since 1982.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    good bye, john. keep 'em laughing.

Formerly N. Frederick, among a bunch of others.

Robin2099 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is very sad news. I just got into watching Three's Company and enjoyed it immensly, mainly because of John Ritter and Don Knotts. John was a great comedian and actor and will truly be missed. Make em laugh in heaven John.

Matthew Williams is offline Owns A Homey The Clown Shirt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah... whoa... really hard to put thoughts into words. He's one of those people who I never thought would die. At least not this early. I was shocked when I saw the thread here this morning.

Needless to say, he's going to be missed. A lot.

The question here, and not to be unemotional, is what now for his show? Unlike Sealab, which also lost its lead, it isn't easy to replace him. I'd say show the last few episodes and call it a series, unfortunately, because he was the show and it won't work without him.

A sad day. God, we've lost so many this year, haven't we?
    Matthew Williams, from the Cartoon Universe
    A column where animation is the starting point - every week at the toonzone blog.
    Column Archive | Cartoon Universe Twitter | Cartoon Universe on Facebook

LightAngel is offline Child of Twilight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, this was truly a shocker! I just heard about Johnny Cash, and now this! I didn't even realize anything was wrong with him, I mean he seemed so healthy. When I first saw the headlines I thought he had been murdered or something, which would obviously be worse, but this is still so very sad.
    "For with thee is the fountain of life: In thy light shall we see light" -Psalm 39:6

Artemis is offline For Great Justice!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I logged on and saw two articles about famous people who died today, I was mostly surprised at Johnny Cash. When I finally looked at the other article, I was actually scratching my head, trying to figure out where I saw that name before.

Then I read it. Then I knew.

I didn't expect this one at all. He seemed perfectly happy and full of life. This just came out of left field.

Truly unexpected and on the set of his new show too. He'll be missed.
    "The advance is hip right now, but the original has a place in my heart, unlike pocket which only had the plastic grey, though color had killer appies for things like the sewing machine, not much use for virtual anymore, huh."

Burgundy Ranger is offline Disney XD/Vortexx schedule guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias
    This is truly a sad day for all. I hope ABC does pull the plug on 8 Simple Rules, there's no way they could continue on now. Just show the few episodes that got taped for Season 2 and release them all on DVD to let people remember Mr. Ritter for the great actor he was.
    (
    I totally agree. It was good to see him have success with 8SR and that it was one of the key shows in ABC's plan for recovery (Alias, George Lopez, etc.)

I don't know how many shows are in the can for Season 2 -- certainly not enough to warrant a regular spot in the schedule (what? 4 or 5 at the most?).

Here's an idea. On Sept. 23, the day of the planned season premiere, run every ep that's in the can in a marathon tribute to Ritter. Push the rest of the Tuesday schedule back to Sept. 30.

Then you move "Life with Bonnie" to the Tuesday lineup and maybe make an emergency call-up to "Drew Carey Show," which is in production for what was supposed to be mid-season replacement or summer 2004 duty.

I'd go with this for Tuesdays:

8:00 -- According to Jim (moved from 9:00)
    8:30 -- I'm with Her
    9:00 -- Life with Bonnie (moved from Friday)
    9:30 -- Less that Perfect

and this for Fridays:

8:00 -- George Lopez
    8:30 -- Married to the Kellys
    9:00 -- Hope and Faith
    9:30 -- Drew Carey (with maybe some Lopez reruns if DCS isn't ready)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast