• 1/2

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NinjaJack is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Masters Of The Universe Talkback*spoilers*

Like This Thread!

A Battle Fought In The Stars. Now... Comes To Earth.

"I HAVE THE POWER!" - He-Man

Release Date:
    August 7, 1987
    Studio: Cannon Films
    Director: Gary Goddard
    Starring: Dolph Lundgren, Frank Langella, Meg Foster, Billy Barty, Courtney Cox, Robert Duncan McNeill, Jon Cypher, Chelsea Field, James Tolkan, Christina Pickles, Tony Carroll, Pons Maar, Anthony De Longis, Robert Towers, Barry Livingston

Plot Summary: Fantasy action-adventure about the war-torn planet Eternia and the Castle of Greyskull which is coming under threat from the evil Skeletor who wants to take over the planet. A group of freedom fighters, led by the heroic He-Man are accidentally transported to Earth by a mysterious Cosmic Key, which holds the power to make Skeletor all-powerful. Once on Earth, He-Man and Co. team up with two teenagers as they attempt to find the key and return home. However, Skeletor and his minions are soon hot on their trail.

Comments?

It was 1987, Superheroes only had cartoon films, the small sum that reached live action mostly fizziled out before they made an impact.
    Masters was an exception, sure the effects weren't great, the dialog needed work. But give it a break, it was one of the firsts of it's genre, maybe you could find it in your local video store and give your childhood hello.

This is the Talkback for Masters of the Universe.
    The GKA Times
    Read the GKA (Giant Killers Anonymous) Times and gain a bit of insight on the Power Ranger community. We write articles and take you places where you want to be.

Giant Killers Anonymous
    This is the official forum of the GKA Times. Come and read some of the interviews with cast and crew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was a great movie Need to get it on DVD though
    It could have had a bigger budget but i thought it was good as it is now
    the makeup for skeletor was awesome really liked that

Digu Volz is offline is yo' mama
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, it did break about even in theatres at the tail end of He-Man's popularity, but if there were ever a sequel, it'd probably be animated.
    "The ultimate hairstyle that never fails to inspire passion and/or madness
    in any who view it... that is the
    "afro"."

Anyone00 is offline The Moltar-Snork
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really like this movie, but I also really like the 'Howard The Duck' movie and the 3+ hours Director's Cut of 'Dune' is one of my favorite movies of all time; so that should tell you alot about my taste in movies.

Best thing about this movie is that it will forever hang over the head of Courtney Cox Arket(sp?) along with here dancing in that Gorge Michaels(sp?) Video, and screaming "Hey, Glow!!!" at her from crowds to get her attention.
    Joris: Your story makes me want to have a little brother, Papycha. Isn't that weird?
    Kerubim: Don't worry, Jojo. You have your whole life to meet new brothers. Some you will choose, others will ruin your life, and others still will make it worth living...

The Penguin is offline "Home."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I decided that tonight I would make sure the poll got added and the thread titled edited. I guess the first post will be edited this week since I don't have time right now. Unless, of course, NinjaJack would take it upon himself to do it the right way since he started the thread.
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

Damien is offline Watching
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've always loved that movie, from a toddler up to now. It quickly made Skeletor one of my favorite villains. No squeaky Halloweeny voice in the live-action version, uh-uh. No, this was the way Skeletor was supposed to be. Plus the film has great characters, the 80s vibe, Courtney Cox, a good plot...3 1/2 stars.

DarkAngel is offline Lord Vader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaJack
    It was 1987, Superheroes only had cartoon films, the small sum that reached live action mostly fizziled out before they made an impact.
    Masters was an exception, sure the effects weren't great, the dialog needed work. But give it a break, it was one of the firsts of it's genre, maybe you could find it in your local video store and give your childhood hello.
    I've always liked it. I thought the beginning was great, with Skeletor's forces taking Grayskull and I loved the ending when he and his soldiers arrived on Earth to capture He-man. The middle probably could have used some work, but overall I enjoyed the movie. I liked the music score, too.

Supernovametalstar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Master of the Universe is one of my favorite movies of all time . I saw it one Saturday afternoon when I was 10 or 11 and I couldn't believe how great it was. Today I can see how cheesy some of it was, but I still love it.

What made the movie for me was Frank Langella as Skeletor. He was so devilish and vampire-like, yet charismatic and commanding. He had all the best lines in the movie, especially this one:

"I am Alpha and Omega...death and rebirth. And as you die, so shall I be reborn."

The special effects were great to look at. Some may call them cheap, but I'll bet for that decade, they were pretty expensive. I like them better than most of the computer effects of today (I always thought less is more when it comes to special effects).

The music was very good, probably the first time I had taken note of movie music (this and Superman).

I just retaped an unedited version from Cinemax a couple of weeks ago. They just don't make them like they used to .

Rune is offline off(world) model
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I took my brother to see MOTU at the cinema, he hadn't actually expressed a desire to see it but I had a burgeoning crush on Dolph at the time after Rocky IV !(Its ok, go ahead and laugh, I can take it, I was young n foolish then and I have broad shoulders now!)

Anyway, its on fairly regularly over here (UK) as satellite TV dug it up on their playlist and I caugt it the other day and have to confess it brings back some happy memories. Okay some of the acting is hammy to say the least but Frank Langella made Skeletor memorably evil and Billy Barty played his usual good turn as Gwildor and the plot, though predicatble was certainly no worse than anything else around then.

It took me a couple of ticks to place Kevin (Robert Duncan McNeill) as Voyager's Tom Paris though

All in all watchable fun

James is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune

All in all watchable fun
    I hated it. Not only was it absolutely nothing like the He-Man that I knew and loved, it did that all too often done Hollywood thing and have it set on Earth. I despised it for that. I was old enough to have seen this lazy sort of production done too many times. Wanna do a sci-fi project on the cheap? Set it on contempory Earth.

The fact it was blatantly clear that no one on the creative crew had actually watched or studied He-Man, and it was clear they had instead decided to watch Star Wars on the sneak, boiled me in my pants.

Nothing impressed me about this film. It was gutless broth and I recall truely believing that there would never be a time when a tie-in movie/show would be faithful to it's source.

I was wrong about that, however Masters Of The Universe stands as another of the 80's failure to make cash on a tie-in with dignity. Just like The Punisher. Remind me, who did that star....

Dark Knight Adventures 10th Anniversary Special
    - it's back!
    Twittering Jim - Twitter
    JamesMcLean.net - James' website
    "I turned to Aunt Agatha, whose demeanour was now rather like that of one who, picking daisies on the railway, has just caught the down express in the small of the back."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast