• *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
    The Clown Prince is offline My God carries a big Hammer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Terminator 2: Judgement Day" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Ten Years Ago. The Machines Who Rule The Future Sent An Unstoppable Terminator To Assassinate The Yet Unborn John Connor. They Failed. In 1991 The Machines Will Try Again.

"I know now why you cry, but it is something I can never do." - The Terminator

Release Date: July 3, 1991
    Studio: TriStar Pictures
    Director: James Cameron
    Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong, Robert Patrick

Plot Summary: Nearly 10 years have passed since Sarah Connor was targeted for termination by a cyborg from the future. After Skynet and the machines from the year 2029 failed to kill Sarah Conner, now her son John, still a child, and the future leader of the resistance is the target for a newer, more deadly prototype liquid metal terminator. Once again, the resistance has managed to send a protector back to attempt to save John and his mother Sarah. This time that protector is a reprogrammed Terminator.

View the trailers here.

Buy the movie!

Comments?

Continuing the anticipation for Terminator 3, here is the talkback for Terminator 2.

The Clown Prince
    "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'

The Clown Prince is offline My God carries a big Hammer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One of the great sci/fi action movies of our time. A perfect blend of action, drama, and even a little bit of comedy.

James Cameron's director's cut ultimatley while making the movie much longer, is a lot better version than the theatrical release. So much more was added to add more character depth and interaction.

Linda Hamilton's Sarah Connor got quite the character change since we saw in the first one. And considering what she went through and learned, can you blame her?

"And introducing Edward Furlong." First big gig for that kid that got him quite the fame after T2 was a hit around the world. Quite a shame he went down hill from there. However, in T2 I really like him. He's got all the "punk kid" traits one could have for having gone through in his short life.

Boy the special effects sure improved since 1984 didn't they? All which helped to make T2 such a huge success. Robert Patrick's T-1000 stole the show as special effects hadn't quite been seen like that ever. Like Furlong, Patrick's career after T2 wasn't all that big. But I was glad to see him get cast in the last 2 seasons of the X-Files. Hopefully any future movies will have him in them.

Once again, a great movie that can be watched again and again. And with surround sound, it's even better.

The Clown Prince
    "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'

The Penguin is offline Moderator of Fowl Play
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Haven't seen it...

I've seen the first Terminator, but I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I've never seen this one. I must talk to a friend of mine about borrowing his.
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

JDuncan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great movie. May be one of the best heartless, manufactured, multi-100 million dollar movies to come from the devil-worshipping mega-conglomorates. Whoops, I guess thats the Troma in me talking. Great movie though. The last hour may be the best action set peice ever. The SE improves the movie, though the tail-end of the added scene with Reese could've been dropped. I can see how it sets up the nuclear holocaust scene, but its unnecessary, and if they were going to build up to it they should've gone with two set-ups not one, like in horror movies. I didn't like how they sanitized the T-800, though. The movie is rated R. Arnold should've killed at least some of those people in the bar. Linda Hamilton and Joe Morton turned in great performances. There it is, the least coherent movie quasi-review ever.
    4 stars
    Risen like a Beth Phoenix!

John6777 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Love this movie

This movie is perfect. It has everything and alot better then the first. Though when i got the Special Edition i think the scenes cut out did change alot about the movie and should have never been cut out. So i like the Special Edition alot better then the Theatrical. I have seen this movie over 10 times throughout my life maybe even more but i never get tired of it and will continue to watch it for years to come.

Mynd Hed is offline Holy blue on a popo!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Excellent movie. A pioneer in special effects, especially as regards CGI. Today it's easy to take CGI for granted when you've got movies (*cough*new Star Wars*cough*) that (over)use it in every shot, but it's nice to go back and remember when it was still the new kid as far as special effects techniques go. And personally, I think that this movie more than any other except perhaps the original Matrix illustrates the way to use CGI PROPERLY: not as a substitute for more traditional techniques, but as a way to augment them when you just plain can't get the job done any other way. Nowadays I think that many moviemakers are just getting lazy with their CGI; when they come to a difficult effect and can't think of any creative, innovative way to deal with it, they shrug and say, "Toss it to the computer geeks!"

I very much enjoy the special edition, especially the added scene in which Arnold's CPU is reset. That scene had some EXCELLENT character interaction between John and Sarah Connor, and really showed why John is supposed to become a great leader in the future-- he's not just a punk kid or a helpless ward, he's an independent character with his own ideas and his own morality, and some real charisma and an ability to bring other people around to his point of view. Masterfully done.
    My only gripe with the special edition is the scene where Arnold tries to learn to smile. It's a very funny scene, a great bit of comic relief, but coming where it does in the flow of the movie I think it breaks up the tension a bit too much at point in the movie where the tension would be better off not being broken. I kinda wish they'd put that one in the special features rather than reinserting it into the movie.
    That's a minor gripe, though, and overall the movie is fantastic. A+ material all around.

Auggie Doggie is offline Timmy Turner
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just finished.

What can I say? This film was terrific! Sure, its a little distrubing in some spots, but still great.

One thing that I noticed was that the visual effects were better and more realistic, hence scarier, though that can be a good thing (though I, and probably my family, may tend to disagree). The one thing that really scared me was how different Sarah's visions were. In the first film, she could see crappy visions of the world of the future. Here, she can see the actual nuclear holocaust of 1997 (which was the part I could always hardly swallow). Also, there was the opening sequence with the playground (where the afore-mentioned holocaust took place) was truely creepy. Still, the effects blow the parent film out of the water.

As for the script, it was just as amazing and intelligent. All of the situations, including John's reckless behavior at (believe it or not) age 10, were perfectly executed. Also, the uniqueness of this film was about as good as the beginner, including the Terminator being reprogramed to actually PROTECT John Connor. And I loved how Sarah had gone AWOL, even going as far as to kill the father of Skynet to stop the whole death and destruction (Is that right? If not, can someone expand on the Connor and Pre-Skynet thing for me?), and killing the mental hospital workers to try to get to her son. And, like in the predecessor, Sarah had such an intelligent choice of words, something because of Linda Hamilton's nice acting here (unfortionatly, I can't exactly remember what she said, and the only thing I found at the iMDB was the prolouge). That will be missed in the third movie (for more info, see the T3 talkback for my Preview Review).

Anyway, for all of that, I give T2 a 4 1/2 out of 5, (I knocked off half a star for the distrubing imagery.) I would definatly recommend it for anyone looking for not just an adrenleine-pumping good time, but also a mind-blowing and breath-taking good time.
    I think Scooby-Doo is knida over-rated and all of the HB Dogs should be praised.
    Wouldn't it be great if their could be more Peanuts specials on DVD?
    It was just what my career needed - I was at the top and now I'm at the bottom.
    -Halle Berry, after "winning" the Razzie Award for Worst Actress

Chris Wood is offline Desslar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A great action movie with great effects. Borrows a little too much from the first movie though. There were a few too many been there, done that scenes (like the police station).

ClockStomper is offline One who loves naked Kagome
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm surprised how well the special effect hold up today. And, for an action movie, it has a great amount of wit and character devolpment.

I do like the alternate ending better, with Sarah at the park. It shows us they did prevent the future, but perhaps at the cost of John's existance. Ironic because earlier she was willing to sacrifice Dycen for the lives of millions in the future. She never did think that if the future was changed, she'd have no son.

Television Blows. So enjoy it.

"I imagine this will be the last time we speak..." David Palmer to a fugitive Jack Bauer in last year's season finale.

"Allow me to put on my analrapy stocking for just a second..."-Tobias Funke, analrapist, on his new branch of psychology mixing analysis and therapy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockStomper
    I do like the alternate ending better, with Sarah at the park. It shows us they did prevent the future, but perhaps at the cost of John's existance. Ironic because earlier she was willing to sacrifice Dycen for the lives of millions in the future. She never did think that if the future was changed, she'd have no son.
    I agree with you on that one. The only problem was that it could have completely screwed out a second sequel, unless Conner loses somewhere in line.
    I think Scooby-Doo is knida over-rated and all of the HB Dogs should be praised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Once I take a closer look at it, I can recognize that this sequel actually expand on the first.

You see, the Terminator story goes in a big circle that is so hard to follow, but I think I got it. Now, where to start? Oh, I really shouldn't explain the whole story again, but I do know that Skynet actually created itself by sending the T-800 back to try killing Sarah in 1984, where the crushed cyborg skeleton would provide for creating the level of technology. This was extremely smart for an action movie. Better yet, Sarah tried to change the future by trying to kill Dyson, and later by sneaking into the lab, stealing the arm and chip and destroying them. Also, in order to prevent the horrible future, the T-800 self-terminated in a nice touching closing scene (John couldn't accept this, as the Terminator became like a father to him, in something that is uncommon in such an action movie).

As for wiether or not thier plan worked...well, I think you are going to have to see T3 to find out (though an ending was developed to answer this question, but was turned down).

GoufCustom is offline Mr. Pink
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This movie was so important for me when I was a kid. I loved it then, and I still love it now. Sarah Connor kicks so much ass in this film. And Richard Patrick is such a bad-ass, one of my favorite villians ever!

The Penguin is offline Moderator of Fowl Play
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I recently watched T2 from when it was on Sci-Fi in widescreen and I would have to say I really enjoyed it. I honestly got a lot more out of it than I did the original and I now look forward to checking out T3 in theaters.

The T-1000 just would not stop! Just like before the target was the only thing that mattered. The semi truck vs. motorbike chase was intense and was the first time we really learned what the original Terminator was all about.

I thought it was kind of cool how young John used his later to be found authority to control the Terminator. He obviously wasn’t used to giving orders to anyone bigger than him, and his feeling out process was rather interesting. Trying to get him to loosen up his language and teaching him how to “give five” were kind of funny. John really used it when he got the Terminator not to terminate people. It was somewhat funny watching him shoot all those cops in the knees one time commenting “He’ll live.” I liked how he protected John and Sarah, but never killed anyone after he was told not to.

The entire escape from the hospital worked very well and I liked how the Terminator actually saved Sarah even though she was petrified of him at the time. Her later voiceover regarding the Terminator as John’s “father” was interesting to think about, but all the points she made were valid.

That really helped link everything together at the end when The Terminator sacrifices himself to make sure they all the chips were destroyed. Another of John Connor’s father figures had left him, but this one he actually cared about.
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

sdp
    sdp is offline God
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw it yesterday for the first time in a long time and this movie has aged pretty well. The movie being a transition of the 8s to the /90s and because of this it doesn't include any of the cheesyness from either era. The CGI surprising is not that bad most of the time. I loved how bad ass Sara Connor is here, they really changed her for the series. I wonder if they went back to destroy the arm of the t-100, or maybe that was the reason that skynet was able to be reborn in T3/the series

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    James Cameron's magnum opus. Nothing that has followed since has lived up to the expectations it not only managed to meet but actually exceed.