0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"The Terminator" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

In the Year of Darkness, 2029, the rulers of this planet devised the ultimate plan. They would reshape the Future by changing the Past. The plan required something that felt no pity. No pain. No fear. Something unstoppable. They created 'THE TERMINATOR'

"I'll be back." - The Terminator

Release Date: October 26, 1984
    Studio: Orion Pictures
    Director: James Cameron
    Screenwriter: Harlan Ellison, James Cameron, Galle Anne Hurd, William Wisher
    Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Biehn, Linda Hamilton

Plot Summary: In the year 2029, a computer called Skynet is fighting against a human resistance, after having nearly destroyed the rest of humanity in 1997. Skynet has found a way to send some of it's warriors, called Terminators, back in time. This is the story of the Terminator sent to kill the resistance leader's mother in 1984, before she gives birth. The resistance sends a warrior named Kyle Reese back to 1984 to protect the young woman.

Visit the official movie site here.

Buy the movie!

Comments?

In anticipation for this July's Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, here is the talkback for the film that started it all and helped cement Arnold's career. After all, The Terminator is the character that is associated with Schwarzenegger the most out of all his characters he's played. In the next two or three days, the talkback for Terminator 2 will be posted.

The Clown Prince
    Last edited by The Clown Prince; 06-16-2003 at 03:35 AM.
    "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    James Cameron was given the chance to direct this after his directorial debut gig Piranha 2. A film that did pretty poorly. So a big surprise to many when Cameron hit it big with The Terminator, and of course, the rest is history.

For 1984, this movie had pretty good effects. CGI wasn't even near being born, and so stop motion and minatures were being used, which IMO is a lost art. Stan Winston, probably my favorite special effects guy of all time did a great job in creating something that was really scary looking the first time you ever laid eyes on the true form of the T-800 at the end of the film.

Being spoiled by today's special effects, it's obvious what effects stick out, but you tend to over look and forget that. The concept of the story and movie was so simple but yet makes you think. And who would have thought that this would start something that would be a huge thing all around the world.

Michael Biehn has been one of my favorite actors, and it's been pretty nice to see him over the years be in really great movies like Aliens, The Abyss, his brief cameo in T2. I know he's doing a TV show in syndication right now, but hasn't really done anything in movies lately.

A really cool deleted scene on the DVD shows us at the end movie in the factory a couple of guys are looking at a micro computer chasi from remains of the T-800 and are talking how weird it is. The camera leaves them and goes outside showing Sarah being loaded into an ambulance. The camera then pans to the top of the door on the outside which reads "Cyberdyne Systems." A nice pre-cursor of things to come.

What's great about the Terminator films is that this movie takes place in 1984 and it came out in 1984 so everything in that time period is accurately protayed. Same with T2, and then again with T3.

I'll admit, I haven't seen this movie very many times over the years, not nearly as much as T2 and especially the director's cut, but that's another talkback thread.

The Terminator is a great movie that has held up very well over the years and hopefully for years to come.

The Clown Prince
    Last edited by The Clown Prince; 06-16-2003 at 04:41 AM.
    "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Terminators a great movie. The "I'll be back" scene is one of the best action scenes ever, and Arnold has never been more badass. The movie is very well written, and the acting is top notch. The movie is very dated, especially "Tech Noir". The future war scene and most of the other effects holp up very well, except for the car chase in the middle of the film when Arnold's rubber face looks pretty bad. I only have the WS LD, so I haven't seen the deleted scenes, sounds interesting, though.
    4/5 stars.
    Risen like a Beth Phoenix!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I also wanted to comment on Brad Fiedel who did the score for Terminator. Like the popularity of the character itself, the theme for Terminator is one that people tend to remember and is very familar.

The score for Terminator really resembles the time in which it is based on. So there for a very 80's sound with Casio keyboards abroad.

It's not just the Terminator theme that is good. The music through out the whole movie is actually really good. I don't own very many CD's, let alone soundtracks, but Terminator and Terminator 2 grace the very few soundtracks in my collection.

The Clown Prince

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The best one of the trilogy (don't have to see T3 to know that). I own T2 on video, and I almost bought the first one today, but I'm waiting to find it cheap on DVD.
    I've always loved The Terminator. The plot, acting, music (esp. the theme), action, effects...everything was cool. "I'll be back"....with a car...the fixing up of his eye, the attack of the T-800 skeleton..oh yeah!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love TERMINATOR 2, but I still kinda prefer the original. It has a much more "horror" vibe than the second, and the extra Future War scenes are welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The original, for the most part, is still an excellent movie. There's definitely a lot more tension and suspense here - mostly because the Terminator is a bulked up unstoppable badass Arnold Schwarzenegger, and the one protecting Sarah Connor is the scrawny only-too-human Michael Biehn Even if the T-1000 was more advanced in T2, Arnold was physically bigger and had more star power, and thereby the two were somewhat even. Here the Terminator definitely has the edge.

Like I said, it's mostly an excellent movie, up till the end with the exoskeleton. That used to scare me, but now the stop-motion looks horribly dated. I think this is one case where CG is a definite and welcomed improvement over more traditional methods.

One last comment: Arnold looks so young!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just watched it on TNT.

Man, everything is so...so 80's. This can be seen through the music and stuff, but also through the quality of the film itself. Besides the horrendious image quality, there are also the perfectly cheesy visual effects. I mean, the "Future" LA looks really low-budget, especially with the slow-moving vehicles and what's flying looking like its hanging from a string. Also, I could recognize when the Terminator was an animatronic dummy and when it was Arnold. When it was just the metal skeleton, walking about, it looked like a freakin' stop-motion puppet when seen solo! And the only thing that looked anything of state-of-the-art (though now pretty dated) was the lightning when the cyborg and fighter from the future came to the present and when the Terminator was itself terminated. But, then again, this IS 1984 and I think Cameron was starting out (or was he?) back then, so you can't blame the poor quality.

However, what this flick lacks in eye candy, it more than makes up for in terms of the script. The concept itself was quite unique; instead of a post-apoptyliptic (spelling?) film where the machines fight the humans, it has the raging war shown for a few seconds, then immediaty switches over to the present, where the machines try to get the upper hand by killing Sarah Connors, the woman who concives the leader of the human resistance, John Connors, and show that part of the war instead. Also, the title character itself was nicely unique too. It was part human, but felt no emotions. Technically, it was a cyborg, but only because it was metal wrapped in human tissue, feeling no pain or remorse of any kind. You gotta give 'em a round of applause for that.

What I really liked was the final scene. I mean, Sarah was making tapes of her commentary on the whole experience to try to understand it herself, and to tell her son the story one day. You have to love her words...About your father, well, I'm trying to understand myself...in the few hours we spent together, I felt we led a lifetime. I especially loved the final scene with the Mexicans. LOL :anime:

I would definatly recommend this movie (and probably its sequels, which I have yet to see) for anyone looking for a good, adrenline-pumping time. The Terminator gets 4 stars out of 5.

And one more thing before I go...what exactly caused the war and thermo-neuclear holocaust? Was it a war between Man and Machine, like what led to the events in The Matrix?
    I think Scooby-Doo is knida over-rated and all of the HB Dogs should be praised.
    Wouldn't it be great if their could be more Peanuts specials on DVD?
    It was just what my career needed - I was at the top and now I'm at the bottom.
    -Halle Berry, after "winning" the Razzie Award for Worst Actress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie
    And one more thing before I go...what exactly caused the war and thermo-neuclear holocaust? Was it a war between Man and Machine, like what led to the events in The Matrix?
    It's explained in detail in T2, but here's basically what happened...
    Spoiler:
    Cyberdyne took the chip and arm from the T-800 sometime after Sarah left. They began to work on reaching that level of technology; the project is headed by Miles Dyson. Skynet is built sometime in the mid-90's. It was given control of all of the world's military, and became self-aware on August 29th, 1997. In the panic, they tried to pull the plug. Skynet fought back, and sent our nuclear missles to Russia, knowing a Russian counterattack would cripple the US. Then the machines started bulding Terminators and exterminating mankind. A man named John Connor outsmarted the machines and led to a human victory. Then Skynet and John Connor took turns sending things back in time to make movies about, sharing the profits.
    Risen like a Beth Phoenix!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Clown Prince
    CGI wasn't even near being born,
    Not so fast. Tron came out 2 years eariler, and The Last Starfighter came out the same year as Terminator. Both films were computer graphics pioneers. Terminator had a pretty small budget so it probably couldn't afford anything that complex.

T2 naturally looks much better, but it so closely follows the same storyline as the first film that its impact is significantly lessened.