View Poll Results: How was "A Mighty Wind"?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

3 100.00%
    Brainiac is offline You've forced my hand.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"A Mighty Wind" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Back together for the first time, again.

Release Date: April 16, 2003 (limited; wide release: May 9)
    Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
    Director: Christopher Guest
    Starring: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy, Michael McKean, Harry Shearer, Bob Balaban, Ed Begley Jr., Laura Harris, Linda Kash, Christopher Moynihan, Parker Posey, Jim Piddock

Plot Summary: Christopher Guest follows up his acclaimed ensemble comedies "Best in Show" and "Waiting for Guffman" with a docu-comedy about three folk groups from the 60s who reunite for a memorial concert in New York City following the death of a legendary folk manager.

Visit the official movie site here.

Buy the movie!

Comments?
    Edited by The Penguin

Well, since no one put up a thread about the film, I figured I would...If you have not seen this movie, go out and see it now! It's hysterical! Eugene Levy was great, and Michael McKean, Harry Shearer, and Christopher Guest as the Folksman were hilarious. The movie just had me laughing from beginning to end...I liked it a lot more than "Best in Show;" I felt it developed characters a lot better. Overall, just a great movie--the singing was actually really good. 5 stars!

Anyone else?
    "A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Why, sometimes in life, it's the only weapon we have."
    -Roger Rabbit

"The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light."
    -Stanley Kubrick

Joker85 is offline Clown Prince
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man I'm Jealous!!! The movie doesn't come out here til May 9th! And I'm dying to see it. I loved Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show, so I have high hopes that I'll enjoy this one as well. Did it have everyone in it from the previous 2 movies?
    " You always take shots from folks who just don't get the joke!"
    Joker- Mad Love

John-Paul is offline You gotta love Gary!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw it and thought it was great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker85
    Man I'm Jealous!!! The movie doesn't come out here til May 9th! And I'm dying to see it. I loved Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show, so I have high hopes that I'll enjoy this one as well. Did it have everyone in it from the previous 2 movies?
    I'm pretty sure it had everyone from the previous movies, although some had smaller parts than before. Either way, they were all hilarious!
    "A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Why, sometimes in life, it's the only weapon we have."
    -Roger Rabbit

"The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light."
    -Stanley Kubrick

randomguy is offline Came, liked Ike, and left.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I CANNOT wait to see it. I saw the trailer in front of Cowboy Bebop, and it looks absolutely hilarious.

I was going to see the premiere, at SXSW in Austin, but since Christopher Guest didn't want to open the balcony of the Paramount (apparently, he doesn't like balconies, or something), they ran out of seats and I couldn't get in. I was furious.

I know it's off-topic, but while on the subject of vaguely independent films, did anyone see City of God?
    "So pray for peace until you're hoarse, and maybe fear will run its course.
    May God forgive us our insanity, and we'll keep pressing on."
    -Rodney Crowell, "We Can't Turn Back" (randomguy's song sig. #68)
    randomguy has ridden off into the TZ sunset. Details here. Follow his daily non-adventures at his MySpace blog.
    Texas 4000: randomguy and 42 other UT students bike to Alaska for cancer research. More info at link. View my rider's journal here.

moreysurf8 is offline not only possible, essential
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    this movie was a hysterical. I'm a big fan of Guest mockumentaries, and this was a great comedy movie. Excellent performances by Mckean, Shearer, Guest and Levy. Also, for the minimal time Fred Willard was in the movie, his performance had me on the verge of tears (funny tears)
    HEY, WHA HAPPENED?
    I should really update my sig

Shnay is offline Ne'er-Do-Well
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think I'm gonna check it out this weekend. I love that kind of subtler humor. It's really dividing, though; you either like it or hate it. I showed Best In Show to someone, and, while watching it, he asked me if it was supposed to be a comedy. Oh, well.

Overall, it's gotten really good reviews (I'd check it out even if it didn't, just 'cause it's a Guest movie), but there was one criticism that I heard a few places. They say that in this movie, Guest shows he has too much of a connection with the subject matter.

They say that the last third of the film becomes a celebration of folk music, rather than a satire of it. It's also been said that the humor in this movie isn't quite as "biting" as it was in Best In Show or Spinal Tap, and say that's because he likes the music too much.

To those who have seen it, do you agree?
    Toon Zone Book Club: Now reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.
    Give a hoot, read a book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well...I didn't think that Guest's connection to folk music got in the way of the comedic elements of the movie at all. I think, if anything, it really added to the movie, because you could tell that the characters were really into what they were doing. But I think that Guest did this with "Best in Show" as well--although, I agree, it was more biting and sarcastic, yet still captured and did justice to the whole dog-loving-pet-show venue. The songs written for the movie were actually very well-performed, and may not have been "laugh-out-loud" funny, but still, it satires folk music. I think if I knew a bit more about folk music, maybe it would have been even funnier, but to be quite honest, it doesn't get in the way at all. Most of the jokes just deal with the odd character traits of the individuals in the show. Hope that sort of gave a response to the question...well, either that, or an insane rambling...

-Brainiac
    -Roger Rabbit

-Stanley Kubrick