Weekend Box Office: The Ring!
Well, once again we got some shifting of the places this weekend. Debuting at number one and bumping Red Dragon out of the top spot is the creepy new film The Ring. It brought in $15 million it's opening weekend. Not too bad.
Staying at second place again this weekend is Sweet Home Alambama. Bringing in an additional $9.6 million, this film will cross the $100 million mark probably some time this week.
Red Dragon falls to third in it's third week of release. Red Dragon brought in $8.7 million and it's very sharp decline in bringing in money may keep it from hitting the $100 million mark, something Hannibal sailed right over.
My Big Fat Greek Wedding continues to stay and stay. In it's 27th week of release the bigggest sleeper hit of all time brought in $7.1 million giving it a huge total of $169 million. Unbelievable.
And rounding out the top 5 is Brown Sugar which brought in $5.31 million.
Abandon with Katie Holms and Benjamin Bratt opened in 6th this weekend with $5.3 million.
Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie moved from 11th place last weekend to 9th place this weekend with $4.1 million.
Looks like Tuck Everlasting and White Oleander will be gone from the top 10 very, very soon.
But not as soon as Formula 51 starring Samuel L. Jackson. Considering this movie stars him, I was real surprised to see that his new film debuted at number 12 (???) with $2.9 million. OUCH!
Opening next weekend is 3 new movies. First up is the newest horror film Ghost Ship, then we got Jackass: The Movie based off of the hit MTV television series, and then there's The Truth About Charlie starring Mark Walberg.
Here are your numbers...
1) The Ring- $15,000,000 ($15,000,000) NEW!!!
2) Sweet Home Alabama- $9,600,000 ($98,500,000)
3) Red Dragon- $8,797,000 ($77,844,000)
4) My Big Fat Greek Wedding- $7,154,488 ($169,302,158)
5) Brown Sugar- $5,310,000 ($18,597,000)
6) Abandon- $5,300,000 ($5,300,000) NEW!!!
7) The Transporter- $5,010,000 ($17,118,000)
8) The Tuxedo- $4,100,000 ($43,100,000)
9) Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie $4,100,000 ($16,200,000)
10) Tuck Everlasting- $3,700,000 ($10,600,000)
11) White Oleander- $3,210,000 ($10,813,000)
12) Formula 51- $2,900,000 ($2,900,000) NEW!!!
The Clown Prince
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'