View Poll Results: How do you rate The Ring?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll

6 37.50%
  • **** 1/2

4 25.00%

0 0%
  • *** 1/2

2 12.50%

1 6.25%
  • ** 1/2

0 0%

1 6.25%
  • * 1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Ring Talkback Thread(Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    I'm surprised no one put a talkback for this movie yet, so I did it myself

Saw it last night, and I must say it did the job of scaring me. It wasn't as they said in the commercials "The Scariest movie since The Exorcist" IMO. It was just creepier(I never got why people say The Exorcist is scary anyways). "Signs" is still the movie that creeped me out the most this year, but after seeing this one, I didn't sleep too well last night(It didn't help that I have a TV in my bedroom ).

Now the review portion. The movie had good pacing in the beginiing, and I thought it was going to end rather fast, given how quickly the days go by, but then it kind of slows down in the end. Seeing the corpse of the girl from the beginning of the movie just freaked me out, and so did about the whole last 2 days. The editting was done well also, and having the scenes kindo f merge with the video done nicely(The video itself is very weird, hopefully a DVD release will include the video by itself as an extra, with the ability to "pull" it like they did in the movie)

Having heard about the original japanese version, and it being a trilogy(Ringu, Ringu 2, and Ringu 0), I was kindo if wondering if the US producers would set it up for a sequel, and they did. They leave several unanswered questions that leave us hanging, and a new element as well, which in this movie worked out OK. Hopefully the movie does well enough to allow for the sequels, or at least Dreamworks will release the original movies(which are based on a series of japanese books) on DVD at some point.

I give it 4.5 stars. The pacing could have been a little better in the end.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

JohnCrichton is offline An astronaut!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Scared the living junk outta me.

My review of this movie would simply be, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

I dreamt of the creepy ghost girl all night last night and no movie to this day has forced me to shut my eyes 'til now.

Great movie that I will never watch again, and in seven days I shall fear for my life again.

Last edited by JohnCrichton; 10-24-2002 at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is about right...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: The Ring Talkback Thread(Spoilers)

Originally posted by MDawg957

Saw it last night, and I must say it did the job of scaring me. It wasn't as they said in the commercials "The Scariest movie since The Exorcist" IMO. It was just creepier(I never got why people say The Exorcist is scary anyways). "Signs" is still the movie that creeped me out the most this year, but after seeing this one, I didn't sleep too well last night(It didn't help that I have a TV in my bedroom ).

Having heard about the original japanese version, and it being a trilogy(Ringu, Ringu 2, and Ringu 0), I was kindo if wondering if the US producers would set it up for a sequel, and they did. They leave several unanswered questions that leave us hanging, and a new element as well, which in this movie worked out OK. Hopefully the movie does well enough to allow for the sequels, or at least Dreamworks will release the original movies(which are based on a series of japanese books) on DVD at some point.

I give it 4.5 stars. The pacing could have been a little better in the end.

I have to say I agree with you on all points! First off, I loved the Excorcist but again it's not that scary. Signs did indeed creep me out too, though this movie was worse. And I kept my bedroom tv off.
    I also agree with what you say about the pacing but it wasn't too much of a trick. You what what I really liked...the ending. Yeah it was freaky and sad but that part with the guy in his apartment ... I'm glad they ended it like that than the moral thing they were going for...and I'd be ALL up for a sequel. *I'D* like to find the original Japanese version. Upon checking my local video store who knows all things video, and they said it is not to be made available for "a long time". I will continue my quest though...

JDuncan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think I am going to wait and see the original. They sell it on VHS at this link, though I don't think it's very legitimate.
    http://www.fm3d.com/videomayhem/catr.htm
    Risen like a Beth Phoenix!

finbarlafume is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't seen the US version but the original Japanese movie was pretty good. ( Although not quite as good as I had been led to believe )
    I think I made a mistake by watching it during the day... it's the kind of thing that should really be watched at night when you're alone in the house.

For anyone who's interested in seeing the original, it's worth noting that the UK released DVD is uncoded and should play in any DVD machine so long as your tv can handle PAL. ( same goes for the two sequels )

Mackenzie Rainelle is offline Anime Psychoanalyst
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked the original....Haven't seen the new one yet, but I just begs the question "If it was so bloody good, why did you wanna redo it, Dreamworks?"
    "Adults are just obsolete children, and the hell with them."
    ~Theodore "Dr. Seuss" Geisel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To make it accessible to the general American public. And they did it justice.

By all accounts this was a solid film. Had the over all tone of Sixth Sense, smattered with disturbing images from a Tool video at all the right points and doesn't pull it's final punch in saying that the ghost just needed to be understood or freed.

Hopefully I can break the two night run of nightmares tonight....

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by JohnCrichton
    To make it accessible to the general American public. And they did it justice.

By all accounts this was a solid film. Had the over all tone of Sixth Sense, smattered with disturbing images from a Tool video at all the right points and doesn't pull it's final punch in saying that the ghost just needed to be understood or freed.

Hopefully I can break the two night run of nightmares tonight....
    Hopefully I can get to sleep tonight. I keep looking at my TV cause it's in my bedroom, and then I can't sleep. Curse you movie for making me have another imaginary thing to be scared about!

On one hand I want to see it again, but on the other, it'll probably reinforce my fears, which makes it worse. I could see Signs again, even though it creeped me out, but it didn't make me have a fear of an inanimate object at night

For anyone who has seen both the US and Jap versions of the film; was the video in both movies similiar, or were they quite different?

Also, I never knew horses could be creepy until I saw this movie
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I finally slept soundly last night.

Hair stood up on the back of my neck this morning while I brushed my teeth, but that's about it.

I do and I don't want to see the Japanese version.........

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast