0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
    JustJack is offline Just Odd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Red Dragon Talkback! (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Well, I'm off to go see Red Dragon with my buddy Amanda. I'm a Silence of the Lambs fan, as well as a huge Edward Norton fan...and I love a good scare. I'm ready for a good movie. Anyway, time for talkback!

My tremendous intuitive sense of the female creature informs me that you are troubled...

Russkafin is offline Bringer of Darkness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just saw it today and I thought it was amazing.

I had read the book and seen "Manhunter" awhile back, just before "Hannibal" came out actually. I was really disappointed with "Manhunter," first of all because I loved Anthony Hopkins in SOTL, and Brian Cox did not have nearly the same effect as Mr. Hopkins did in the role.... that monster dwelling within the perfect gentleman vibe that Hopkins exudes as Lecter in both SOTL and "Hannibal" is chilling to the bone.

Having Anthony Heald back as Dr. Chilton (same hairdo and all!) and Frankie Faison back as Barney helped seal the deal, cementing this film firmly as part of the Lecter trilogy.

But most of all I loved that the new movie remains true to the ending of the book. I won't spoil it for anyone who has not seen it, but it is very clever, and I was extremely disappointed when I saw Manhunter that they did not include the ending from the book. Actually the ending of the Red Dragon movie takes things a step further in one sense, and does something that did not happen in the book that I think is extremely clever, it has to do with something Will Graham says to his son that he had just recently read somewhere else.... I realize that sounds very vague but hopefully if you saw the movie you know what I'm talking about.

The whole cast turns in awesome performances... of course Edward Norton and Anthony Hopkins, and also Harvey Keitel, Ralph Fiennes, Emily Watson, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman, all at the top of their game.

To be honest, I think I like this movie better than SOTL and Hannibal. Probably there will be a lot of people that scoff at the notion that this could actually be better than SOTL, but I thought it was.

JustJack is offline Just Odd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone seen the actual movie 'Manhunter'? It's off the same book, doesn't have Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal, but it's the same thing. Same book, same story.

Anyway, I absolutely looooved it. It's never so much scary as it is disturbing. There's a lot that they dont tell you, really...but you just get a sense of what it is.

Did you figure out how he chose his victums? They never actually say, but I do believe it's purely obvious. And as to why....well, of course the Red Dragon...but the answer is in the painting. They dont really focus on it...but if you notice the woman in the picture...I pieced it together quickly.

5 stars! Thank you very much. I don't think Anthony Hopkins should have been the title name for the movie...it was Edward Nortons movie, and Hannibal was only in it so much. I'd have to say that you get a glipse of just about every scene with Hannibal in the trailer. Seriously...he wasn't in it that much, but still just enough to leave a fabulous mark.

And the ending...fabulous. If you're a Silence Of The Lambs fan...the ending will make you smile.

My tremendous intuitive sense of the female creature informs me that you are troubled...

Weatherman is offline Space...not what it used to be
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw a free sneek preview at school wensday night. 5 stars all the way. Excellent preformances by all involved. Raffe Fines created an incredibly disturbing character in Dolarhyde. Brrrrrr......
    "So, as my final thought, steal from your parents"-Lewis Black

JMo
    JMo is offline I mean...DANG!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Weatherman
    Saw a free sneek preview at school wensday night. 5 stars all the way. Excellent preformances by all involved. Raffe Fines created an incredibly disturbing character in Dolarhyde. Brrrrrr......
    I totally agree...and, man...you gotta love those free sneak previews... Who thought college would be so great?!
    "Cry me a river."

As said by Batman to Superman in Twilight of the Gods...

The Guard is offline No Matter The Cost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Friggin' FANTASTIC. I am a HUGE Hannibal Lecter fan, and an even bigger Ed Norton fan.

ACTING:

Ed Norton Stole the show. I've said since it was announced that RED DRAGON will put Norton on the map. And it will. Norton was fantastic in all senses of the word. He went from dark to light WELL, and the looks on his face at certain times (making the connection in the beginning, learning of his child's hostage situation).

What can be said about Anthony Hopkins? He was incredible. His eyebrows rose and fell at the right times, the dry wit was there, and he was Hannibal. Some of his lines were done so well:

"I'm afraid if I tell you what it is, you won't even try it"

"What is her name?"

Ralph Fiennes did a heck of a job as Francis Dolarhyde. He snapped into different personalities from scene to scene, and at the end, you almost feel sorry for him.

Harvey Keitel did a fine job of not stealing the show like he tends to do. His character was believeable, and I didn't miss the other man at all.

PLOT

Believable, in that surreal "it could happen" way that Hannibal movies are. I had a few problems with the cops leaving their sirens on as they approached (real cops don't do that), but I didn't see too many holes. There were enough twists and turns to keep us guessing.

DIRECTING:

I had read a script excerpt with the opening dinner scene before the movie was done filming, and was psyched to see RED DRAGON. I wasn't disappointed. Brett Ratner did a hell of a job. I've got to believe SUPERMAN is in good hands.

MUSIC:

The music was spectacular, from the recognizable Elfman theme at the beginning to the tenser moments.

Just a hell of a fun movie. And that line at the end. Chills.

Joker85 is offline Clown Prince
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Excellent!! This was second only to Silence of the Lambs. The casting was perfect!
    Anthony Hopkins was once again great as hannibal and I am glad they expanded his role so we could get more of him.
    Edward Norton carried the movie, and did it well. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite actors.
    Harvey Keitel was every bit as good a Crawford as Glen was in Silence. But, he's usually pretty good in everything he's in.
    Ralph Fiennes played his part to perfection...he really freaked me out in parts of the movie! Also, I wonder how long it took makeup to put on that big tattoo every single day. Bet that was a pain!
    Emily Watson wasn't in it very much, but she stole the scene in every one she was in! I had only previously seen her in Gosford Park, so I'm not real familiar with her work, but she was great in both.
    I'm glad this movie stayed real faithful to the book. The only major difference was Hannibal's enlarged role, which actually worked well in the movie. The ending was fantastic! I couldn't have asked for anything better(except maybe a Jodie Foster cameo!)
    " You always take shots from folks who just don't get the joke!"
    Joker- Mad Love

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't think that Hannibal's role was enlarged at all. Nor was it meant to be. I thought his screen time shrunk quite a bit. I agree about Ed Norton. He did carry the movie. He is my favorite actor, has been since AMERICAN HISTORY X. The man just has depth, and is quite versatile.

Barb Gordon is offline Nin-Mod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ed Norton rocked in this. Almost as good, if not better then, Silence of the Lambs and certainly Hannibal. Amazing story, seriously I could have stayed in my seat 20 minutes after the movie still mulling over things. Anthony Hopkins was fantastic as always, but Norton's got to be my favorite FBI Agent to costar beside him.

~Barb

leaf on the wind...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by The Guard
    I didn't think that Hannibal's role was enlarged at all. Nor was it meant to be. I thought his screen time shrunk quite a bit. I agree about Ed Norton. He did carry the movie. He is my favorite actor, has been since AMERICAN HISTORY X. The man just has depth, and is quite versatile.
    Actually, from the book Red Dragon his role was expanded a little bit. Not a lot, but there were some added scenes that weren't from the book. Course, I don't blame them, Anthony Hopkins is a good actor, they should use him all that they could.
    Joker- Mad Love

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh, I thought you meant his role was larger then in HANNIBAL and SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nah, I was talking about how he had such a minor role in the book...and they expanded it for the movie(that shows how much he was in the book!). But I thought the expanded scenes worked well, plus if you got Hopkins, you might as well use him!
    Joker- Mad Love

zero zero nine is offline striding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This move is drop dead awesome. Definitely my favorite out of the three. Ed Norton, Anthony Hopkins and Ralph Fiennes were astronomically stellar. Lots of quotable things from this film, Especially when Lecter's around. I wish I could remember some of them.

5 stars (or 4, if you prefer)!
    "They say this place is evil, but that's not why I stay." - Warren Zevon

RogueMartian is offline Cogito Ergo Sum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw Manhunter, it was okay, but nowhere NEAR the caliber of Silence of the Lambs, I'll see red dragon this weekend, I hope its as good as people say.
    RogueMartian, Prisoner of Circumstance

I'm gonna sleep this off like a baaad hangover

"Cuz, y'know, nothing says stealth like neon-friggin'-orange." -Conekiller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It is. The plot isn't as good, but this movie has much better acting then SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. And the dialogue is fantastic.

"Your cell looks smaller with no books in it".

GoufCustom is offline Mr. Pink
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw the movie today. One word: WOW! It was excellent! Superb acting, absolutely superb direction; great usage of frames, angles, and lighting; and a brilliant plot. I LOVED this movie. Edward Norton rocks!