Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Local TV Station Call Letters

Like This Thread!
    Not sure if this is off-topic (being about TV stations, figured it *is* related to entertainment), though suspect I'll find out in short order...

Was thinking of someone's reaction to my stating that the local CBS affiliate (in Indianapolis) is "WISH-TV"...with the call letters actually pronounced as "wish" on the air (well, intermittently with "News 8"). Which made me try to think of other stations in/around my area where the call letters seem meant to (or actually *do*) spell out some word or other:

Indianapolis:
    WFYI: the PBS affiliate; often shows in station IDs the "FYI" part of the name highlighted...

WNDY: the UPN affiliate; before it took to calling itself the generic name "UPN 23", it had several station IDs with the WNDY call letters in a checkered-flag format (and part of the "W" left un-checkered, so as if to spell out "INDY"), with Indy-500 race car noises playing in the background. Kind of amusing/appropriate for Indianapolis (wonder if Vegas viewers get slot-machine noises/dollar-signs in their station IDs or logos :-)

Around the state, up in Fort Wayne, there's "WANE-TV", and in Lafayette, "WLFI" (mediocre abbreviation of "Lafayette", despite there being no "I" in "Lafayette"...). And in South Bend, there's NBC affiliate "WNDU"---the station was founded originally by the University of Notre Dame; told its transmitter has/had a statue of the Virgin Mary on the top of it. Also recall at signoff, they had a brief prayer/sermon given by a priest from ND...

Anyone else have a station with such interesting/similar call letters to add? Figures if there's six different threads devoted to *pro wrestling*, this thread has to attract *some* interested people... ;-)

-B.
    Visit my other online spots:
    My blog, covering technology, comics, and animation, plus my weekly
    minorities in cartoons feature!
    Twitter

Weatherman is offline Space...not what it used to be
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    WUSA-Try to guess. It's my local CBS affiliate.
    "So, as my final thought, steal from your parents"-Lewis Black

Jeff Harris is offline Creator/Webmaster, TXB
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Local TV Station Call Letters

The Station on Your Side . . . WAVY-TV 10 in Portsmouth, VA (it irks me when media companies say it's in Norfolk, it's just a few blocks from my Portsmouth home).
    What does the X stand for? It's definitely not Extreme. Extreme starts with E.

Auggie Doggie is offline Timmy Turner
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    NBC (4), CBS (2) and ABC (7) have the same name in the call letters as the the networks with a "W" put before them.

Here are the others:

-WNYW/5- Fox
    -WWOR/9- UPN, also home to Digimon and the others on Disney Animation Weekdays
    -WPIX/11- The WB
    -WNET/13- PBS New York
    -WLIW/21- PBS Long Island
    -WLNY/55- Independent, has 8PM Movies, old TV shows and syndicated programs on the others (ie, Oprah, Jeopardy!)
    I think Scooby-Doo is knida over-rated and all of the HB Dogs should be praised.
    Wouldn't it be great if their could be more Peanuts specials on DVD?
    It was just what my career needed - I was at the top and now I'm at the bottom.
    -Halle Berry, after "winning" the Razzie Award for Worst Actress

TheHuntressDiana is offline Wonder Cutie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let's see, in the Detroit Area....

WJBK - Fox

WDWB - The WB

WDIV - NBC

WXYZ - ABC

WKBD - UPN

WWJ - CBS

WTVS - PBS Detroit

CBET - CBC Windsor
    "Ahh man . . ." -- Bianca
    "Ahh woman . . . " -- Pat

mbaker is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We have A Lite Rock station in Pittsburgh with the call letters WSHH, but they call themselves Wish 99.7.

Narfpinky is offline ~splash~
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In the Chicago area:
    2 WBBM (CBS)
    5 WMAQ(NBC) We Must Ask Questions -- old slogan from way back in WMAQ radio broadcast.
    7 WLS(ABC) World's Largest Store -- Carry-over from radio WLS, that orignally being owned by Sears Roebuck.
    9 WGN(WB) World's Greatest Newspaper -- Owned by Tribune.
    11 WTTW(PBS) Window To The World
    20 WYCC(PBS) We're Your City Collage -- Adult educational programming.
    26 WCIU(Independent)
    32 WFLD(Fox) Originally Field Communications, of Marshall Field & Co.
    38 WCFC(PAX)
    44 WSNS(Telemundo)
    50 WPWR(UPN) Oringally an idependent, 'PWR' thought to be 'Power', referring themselves as 'Power 50'.
    60 WHES -- Home Shopping
    66 WGBO(Univision)

BTW, for anyone wondering, all staitions east of the Mississippi have call letters starting with a 'W", while those to the west start with 'K'.
    I forget who/what set that guideline...and why. Narf.
    Why Brain? What do we want to do tomorrow night? Throw a slumber party?

ClarkKent is offline I pity the fool!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Local TV Station Call Letters

Originally posted by Jeff Harris
    The Station on Your Side . . . WAVY-TV 10 in Portsmouth, VA (it irks me when media companies say it's in Norfolk, it's just a few blocks from my Portsmouth home).
    Whoa....WAVY-TV 10 here.

We also have SKY-TV, channel 4, out of Kitty Hawk, NC.

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My guess: it's what they call a "rimshot" TV station, i.e. it's actually licensed to a smaller town near a large city, but includes serving the larger city in its station ID/promotions...example: the WB affiliate here in Indianapolis, WTTV, is actually licensed to the small city of Bloomington 50 miles south of here (the home of Indiana University); since Indy's a much bigger viewing area, it ID's itself as: "WTTV: Bloomington-Indianapolis", keeping the legal requirement of listing city of license (Bloomington) first, followed by its main targeted city of choice (Indy) after it.

The UPN affiliate is the same way: "WNDY: Marion - Indianapolis" (Marion being a small town 40 or 50 miles northeast of Indy---noted for where Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett got married, and where I was born [and have relatives at]).

IIRC, Evansville IN has a "WAVE-TV". And up in South Bend, there's also "WSBT-TV" (presumably named after its founders, the South Bend Tribune). There's also a religious station called "WHME" there.

Over in Terre Haute, there's also a "WTWO-TV"...guess which channel it's on. ;- ) (Also there's a "WTHI-TV", presumably short for "Terre Haute, Indiana")

-B.
    Visit my other online spots:
    My blog, covering technology, comics, and animation, plus my weekly
    minorities in cartoons feature!
    Twitter

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

w00t! Another WAVY watcher! My favorite part of the news is watching Andy Fox's "Road Rebels" segments. It's alweays fun to see him run into traffic telling people to stop when they go through a stop sign or do other bad driving things(Anyone have something like that in their owen areas?). I'd be pretty embrassed if he ever caught me, because my mom always watches WAVY news .

And yes, I've forgotten that WAVY is in Portsmouth sometimes
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast