• **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

1 14.29%
  • 1/2

0 0%
    The Mad Hatter is offline Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back... the review! (spoiler-free)

Like This Thread!

Hollywood had it coming.

"A Jay and Silent Bob movie? Feature length? Who'd pay to see that?" - Holden McNeil

Release Date: August 24, 2001
    Studio: Miramax Films
    Director: Kevin Smith
    Starring: Jason Mewes, Kevin Smith, Renée Humphrey, Ben Affleck, Jason Biggs, Shannon Elizabeth, Matt Damon, Shannen Doherty, Jason Lee, George Carlin, Joey Lauren Adams

Plot Summary: Banky Edwards (Lee) sells out and produces a Bluntman & Chronic motion picture, starring 2 famous, young Hollywood actors playing the duo. When the real Jay (Mewes) & Silent Bob (Smith) catch wind of the film and the badmouthing of them on the internet, they head to New Jersey to sabotage the film's world premiere.

Visit the official movie site here.

Buy the movie!

Comments?

It's not coming out till next weekend, but thanks to a sneak preview I got to catch Jay and Silent Bob yesterday. What did I think? Essentially, it's one director's foray into complete and total self-indulgence... but never has self-indulgence been so completely hysterical.

The tone can probably be described as just slightly more grounded in reality than Airplane or The Naked Gun. Massive weirdness ensues at just about every moment, and people mug the camera to within an inch of its life.

Yes, we do see cameos from all the major characters from Smith's previous films, though they aren't excessive and they won't confuse people who haven't seen the previous flicks (philistines!). Still, it was great to see them again, especially the Clerks themselves (who get the best bits, I would have to say).

Guest stars? The flick's loaded with them. My favorite would be Mark Hamill's cameo, but be alert since he's a bit hard to spot. But the best thing about the cameos is that, like in the best episodes of the Simpsons, these guest stars are mercilessly made fun of. You'll need at least a basic knowledge of modern movies to appreciate them all, but it's worth it (especially the repeated savaging of Miramax). Ben Affleck is the butt of numerous jokes... maybe one or two too many, but some of them are truly hilarious. Oh, there's lots of great movie parodies as well. I was extremely impressed with the Matrix parody... Smith didn't do the same shot everyone else did!

Jay and Silent Bob? Well, they're Jay and Silent Bob at their best. Each one seems to constantly steal the scene from the other, which works great.

Oh, and check out the camera work! Smith, the master of the non-mobile camera, has really stretched himself here, with lots of colorful movements, tight editing and decently done action sequences!

I'm not even going to try to compare this flick to Smith's earlier works, since it's completely different in many ways. But suffice to say that I loved it, and I plan to be back in the theater opening night.
    Robert Evatt

You read it... you can't un-read it!

The Dork Knight is offline The saddles do what now?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do you know if there is nudity in it? I can't see films with nudity. And J&SBSB is a movie I want to see.

Lonestarr is offline Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw the film yesterday, and it was hilarious. Alas, there was no nudity. But really, this was a good film that you will enjoy...if you don't mind heavy swearing in just about every scene (of course, that's to be expected from a Kevin Smith movie).
    I feel that a big problem with today's society is that we don't listen to our fellow man -- especially when I'm talking.
    "Never be afraid to borrow from those wiser than yourself." - Mr. Jimmy (voice of David Arquette) on "Pelswick"
    "What do I care what some yahoo like Lonestarr posts on the internet?" - President Skroob (voice of Mel Brooks) on "Spaceballs: the Series"
    Links in a chain: DeviantArt | Fanfiction.net | Mr. Cellophane

James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is one film I am definatly looking forward to. There doesn't seem to be much coming out in August, so I'm hoping this helps JASBSB with some good numbers. I am hoping to see this film opening weekend if I can.

Jowy Blight is offline Chillin' Out
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't wait to see it myself. We haven't really had too many good movies in August. I'm going to try to see it opening weekend if I can.
    "To be upset over what you don't have is to waste what you do have."

Clayface is offline Molecularly Malleable Mod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I also caught the sneek peek this weekend. It's pretty funny, but not at all my favorite of Smith's flicks. This one's humor was a little more low-brow than usual for him - there are a ton, and I mean a TON, of "richard" (think of another name for richard and you'll know what I mean), fart and sex word jokes. It was funny, but it sort of got repetitive in that way, in my opinion.

Penguin's note: Due to a slight error a post made by The Mad Hatter (which should be below this one) was deleted in the refurb. Apologizes to Hatter and to Clayface for borrowing some of his space.
    Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    Gotlucky64: So you can see R rated movies, but not R rated movies with nudity in them? Odd. If I were a parent, I'd worry more about excessive violence than (gasp) the human form, but it's a certifiable fact that Americans can be weird about sexual issues. But nope, no nudity.

And there certainly was a ton of lowbrow humor, but I wasn't expecting this movie to be "important" in the least. I didn't think it wore thin personally, but I can understand how some people might think it would.

"With my feet upon the ground, I lose myself between the sounds
    And open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin.
    I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random, or what ever will bewilder me.
    And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
    We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
    Spiral out. Keep going"
    -Tool, Lateralus

"Be ashamed to die unless you have won some victory for humanity." -Horace Mann

Stu
    Stu is offline Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bunping this for the DVD talkback in the DVD forum.

One of my absolout favourite films. One of few comedies which doesn't drag in places, or have irritating characters trying to be cool. The best bit, is indoubtably (sp?) them on the set, in the spandex suits.

"Shut the **** up before I shoot you where you stand in your pansey red booties"

"Holy **** man I am wearing red booties. Why the **** didn't you tell me?!"

As you can see by the quote its not for kids.

Chris Rock stole the show as the racist director. One of the main problems with the film was that everyone seemed to bash Smith, becuase they found it too offensive. To those morouns, I say, don't like it, don't watch it. They prevented a great film from being even funnier.

***** from me easy
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Bobby Boy 101 is offline Demi's Throttle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    eliza dushku .....

need i say more kids? no, i surely do not

ELIZA DUSHKU LOOKIN FINE IN HER JEANS AND BASEBALL SHIRT, LEATHER CATSUIT, AND EVEN FINER IN THAT CATFIGHT SHE SHOULDA AND WOULDA WON!

ahh shes amazing...i just got her autograph the other day, i was like AHHHHH shes just as cool in person as in every movie, so casual and friendly and relaXed and seXXXY....

o yea the movie was also ok
    "I missed...I never miss."

--Colin Farrell as Bullseye from Daredevil