Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ZorBrak is offline I AM A BUFFET OF MANLINESS.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Unbreakable" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Directed By: M. Night Shyamalan
    In Theaters: Nov 22, 2000 Wide

Actor Bruce Willis and writer/director M. Night Shyamalan reunite after the surprise success of The Sixth Sense for this supernatural thriller. David Dunne (Willis) is taking a train from New York City back home to Philadelphia after a job interview that didn't go well when his car jumps the tracks and collides with an oncoming engine, with David the only survivor among the 131 passengers on board. Astoundingly, David is not only alive, he hardly seems to have been touched. As David wonders what has happened to him and why he was able to walk away, he encounters a mysterious stranger, Elijah Prince (Samuel L. Jackson), who explains to David that there are a certain number of people who are "unbreakable" -- they have remarkable endurance and courage, a predisposition toward dangerous behavior, and feel invincible but also have strange premonitions of terrible events. Is David "unbreakable"? And if he is, what are the physical and psychological ramifications of this knowledge? Unbreakable also stars Robin Wright-Penn as Audrey, David's wife; the supporting cast includes Spencer Treat Clark and Joey Perillo.

Comments?

I recently revisited this movie and really enjoyed it. I thought it was a great start and I do wish we'd get to see more movies like this.

finbarlafume is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought Unbreakable was a great movie, a superhero story unlike any other. Unlike other superhero movies which are clearly set in fantasy worlds, the realistic style of Unbreakable made you believe that it was all really possible. The character of David Dunn was just a regular guy with a failing marriage and a dull job, a realistic person that you could pass on the street any day of the week.
    I think it might be better if it was left as a stand alone piece. Any sequels might make it become a franchise... and then it would just seem like a regular superhero movie.

Marc is offline Friend from another star?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Unbreakable was great. The second best superhero movie next to Superman: The Movie.
    I think that if sequel is made, M. Night must stay away from common comic book trappings, i.e. cheesy spandex, corny one-liners, etc. Those things are great in lighthearted comic books and cartoons, but not in a realistic superhero saga like Unbreakable.

A sequel should focus on David Dunn's struggle with his son's continued unhealthy worship of his father. Perhaps the public learns of David's abilities and he is hounded at every turn; as well as maybe Mr. Glass' renewed obession with David from behind prison walls.

There are a lot of possiblities for a great sequel story, but also a lot of pitfalls.

TimTwoFace is offline Mod, and Minotaur Bait
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As much as I loved UNBREAKABLE, I wouldn't be upset if that were the end of the story. It worked perfectly for me. However, if a sequel were ever made, I'd be the first in line to check it out.

-Tim
    CANADA

noclist is offline bob loblaws law blog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved Unbreakable a lot, I think M Knight is one of the most talented directors/writers out there today. In fact I'm going to go see Signs later tonight and we'll see if his third major work matches up quality-wise with his first two. Getting back to the topic, I'm not sure if I would want to see an Unbreakable sequel or not, the movie ended pretty much perfectly when
    Spoiler:
    Mr. Glass (Sam Jackson) shouted "because of the kids, they called me Mr. Glass"
    That is just too perfect of an ending for me to see ruined by commercialized sequels, although I don't think M Knight would stoop too low to make a buck.

Terminatah is offline Badass Cyborg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I went to some website that said the symbolism of the colors used in the movie indicated that Dunne's son was going to turn evil in the future.

M. Night Shyamalan said that he originally planned to make two sequels, but the response to the first installment wasn't as high as he'd hoped, so he probably wasn't going to do anything, despite the cult following. I say good; move on to better ideas.

-Terminatah
    wuh oh

Yuss is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved Unbreakable. But something about the fact that it's NOT really about a superhero (the routine fighting crime/villain of the week/etc.) is kinda what makes it good. By the end, he already knows about his power(s), and he can really work as a superhero. What then? In Unbreakable, he was a normal-guy-turned-superhero. If there was a second movie, he'd just be... a superhero. Fighting crime. The return of Mr. Glass or whatnot. Not that I don't have faith in Shyamalan, but really... the first was original, how could there be two more without it turning cliché?

If they DID make a sequel or sequels, I would definitely see it. Unbreakable was great, and it did end pretty openly. I hope that Shyamalan considers it a little more. There are so many ways a sequel can go wrong, but there are so many ways it could be great. But if he does it, I hope he'll know what he's doing.

~B+:

Weatherman is online now Space...not what it used to be
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw it, loved it, own it on DVD, the Vista Series edition.

I'd see a sequell if Knight can find some way to avoid having it fall into the usual melodrama and pitfalls of superhero movie sequells, though the way he has things set up does leave many good posibilities open. Who knows what else is out there in that polar opposites spectrum.
    "So, as my final thought, steal from your parents"-Lewis Black

Barb Gordon is offline Nin-Mod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really, it was supposed to be a trilogy? Well, as interesting as that sounds, I think I would prefer they not make two more films. I LOVED Unbreakable. It was such a different movie, a storyline that was so unqiue and awesome, so different. It was great on so many levels, a story that seemed so new and appealing to audiences of different types. But I think it worked best as just one film. If they were to bring out two more, I'm not sure how it would affect how great the first one was. Unbreakable was different, it had people thinking after the movie was over. For me, this worked so well as a single movie, and continuing the story might lose some of the whatever it was that made the first one so great. It left you wondering, guessing. A villian, and a hero, they knew each other, the last scene leaves you with so many questions that I think are better left answered or left unanswered by the audience themselves and not with two more movies.

~Barb

leaf on the wind...

Calico is offline Didn't you get the memo?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As the credits were rolling I kept saying to myself, "This can't be the end." I just really wanted to see him deal with his gifts, maybe fail and learn from his failures. I would really like at least one more.
    "There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexeplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened." >> Douglas Adams

Hero RPGs | My LiveJournal | Check out my stories at Fanfiction.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast