The Watcher is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are TV series better than sequels?

Like This Thread!
    Since a lot of people complain about movie sequels, do you guys think tv contiunations are better?
    I mean there are a lot of examples:

Godzilla the animated series
    Jimmy Neutron
    Men in Black
    and the list goes on and on....

List of television programs based on films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peter Paltridge is online now It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    A lot more is riding on a movie, writing-wise. Movies have to deliver a complete, three-act, self-contained storyline with a satisfying ending. For a sequel, this is a lot harder to do twice, especially if you wrapped everything up the first time.

In that sense, a TV series can deliver more than a movie, because it has a lot more time to develop its characters. You can show them doing laundry or filing their taxes; not EVERY SINGLE moment has to be devoted to the plot.

BUT....when a movie takes that more compressed schedule and executes it flawlessly, the results are far better than a TV series. Sarah Connor Chronicles was great, but Terminator II was phenomenal.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: It's a war on the media and Trawn and company are caught in the middle in Part 2 of a brand-new Electric Wonderland incident! Aren't you glad real life isn't this insane?

CoolEric158 is online now Kidnapping before it was cool
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, that really depends. A sequel has many issues that a TV show continuation has to handle. Both not only need to entertain the original fanbase as well as appeal to a wide audience, but a sequel and TV series also need to improve on the faults of the predecessor, whether it be writing, editing, etc. Most importantly, a sequel should expand more on the characters, whether internally or externally, not repeat the same basic plot again, and up the stakes to something more and more deadly. What makes Toy Story 2 work is that it focuses on new plot points, huge decisions for characters to make, new characters that are well-developed, and keep the same tone and charm of the original. What makes Iron Man 2 not work is that it has shoehorned ideas that go nowhere, an uninteresting story, slow pacing, and had little of the charms and likability of the first movie outside of the fantastic cast and characters.

An issue a sequel series has is that while a movie is about 2-2.5 hours, a TV show goes on and on for multiple episodes, and sometimes even seasons. And if you want to see a series, there's a huge commitment to the time needed. Now a TV show can also give more depth for characters, and it's also great to see characters you love every week go on adventures.

So really, a sequel, whether 2 hours or 2 seasons, is a gigantic crapshoot, and both have created successes (Terminator 2, Fargo), and failures (Son of the Mask, Dumb and Dumber TAS).
    I'm that guy who looked at you funny yesterday! In case you were curious.
    My Twitter
    My Tumblr
    My Youtube Channel
    Also, head over to Cartoon Nation