Quantcast
    Peter Paltridge is offline It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

She makes more than me, OH NO

Like This Thread!
    Shouldn't TV characters have stopped acting like this a long time ago?

"Penny has an interesting arc this year where she puts acting down," said co-creator and executive producer Chuck Lorreat the Television Critics Association's summer press tour. "She gets a shot to be a pharmaceutical rep at Bernadette's [Melissa Rauch] company."

As it turns out, the new gig will come with a nice paycheck that could create some friction with her husband-to-be, Leonard (Johnny Galecki).

"She's going to start making some money, which will unbalance their relationship as the power shifts," Lorre said of the storyline. "She's going to find some confidence and self-esteem, which acting does not provide in great heaping doses."
    I know, it's Chuck Lorre, who isn't exactly a progressive dude, but does anyone really do this anymore? Who honestly flips out in the 21st century if a woman is making more than a man?
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: The new Electric Wonderland cartoon concludes today! Can the wacky wonderful Internet personality Jon-Trawn uncover the real conspiracy?

Aquadementia is offline That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It shouldn't be much of a problem. But a lot of the time it is.
    The way couples maintain separate financial lives these days is kind of weird. With some couples it's like they all but label their food, but you get the feeling maybe they are keeping track of it in their heads. If things aren't approximately equal it can make a difference because if you're doing those kinds of calculations you don't want to look like you're taking advantage. Frankly, if it's the guy that's contributing less it's a more uncomfortable situation.
    It's far better then the days when the man would die or take off and the woman was left destitute but there are just as many reasons for money conflicts now as in I Love Lucy.

This reminds me of a question I had about BBT.
    What I wondered about is how can Penny, a waitress, afford an apartment across the hall from Sheldon and Leonard who can't afford the apartment without being roommates?
    Each of them should be earning several times what Penny makes. Either they are really tight having a large chunk from each paycheck automatically put away in mutual funds and IRA's or they are really bad with money, blowing it all on comics and stuff.
    Or Penny gets huge tips.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Compatriot,

its an understandable feeling whether you have a lot of pride or very low self-esteem. some men/women do feel obligated to be the main breadwinner of the family so it comes as quite blow when their partner is paying for most of the rent, groceries, etc. other couples want to spend fifty-fifty on everything and if one of them is making a lot more that may not be possible all the time.

i don't watch the show myself but most sitcoms and television in general tries to create some kind of conflict for couples so its nothing new.

CoolEric158 is offline Kidnapping before it was cool
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquadementia View Post
    This reminds me of a question I had about BBT.
    What I wondered about is how can Penny, a waitress, afford an apartment across the hall from Sheldon and Leonard who can't afford the apartment without being roommates?
    Each of them should be earning several times what Penny makes. Either they are really tight having a large chunk from each paycheck automatically put away in mutual funds and IRA's or they are really bad with money, blowing it all on comics and stuff.
    Or Penny gets huge tips.
    I just assumed it was Sheldon being an idiot and wasting their funds. Or just to give a reason for Leonard and Sheldon to be together. Or just for comedy, I dunno.
    I'm that guy who looked at you funny yesterday! In case you were curious.
    My Twitter
    My Tumblr
    My Youtube Channel
    Ask Me Anything
    Also, head over to Cartoon Nation

Hanshotfirst1138 is offline Singing drunken lullabies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know, if I lived with someone I'd probably just be happy if our combined paychecks could make ends meet more than being concerned about who made more.
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
    Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

BartWinkle is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be concerned in the least if I had a female companion who made more than I did.

reflection is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Penny has a much smaller one bedroom apartment.

The ShopSoldier is online now DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I don't even watch nor care about this show, honestly - but DEAR GOD, WHY is this becoming a thing (AGAIN) in the first place?

Misogyny like this is simply disgusting and needs to be stamped out, not used as an excuse for conflict creation, which is only encouraging the issue!

Bottom line - if your show is bad to begin with and finds itself relying on misogyny like this - CANCEL YOURSELF and leave the business.
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...er-d7z3tj2.png

A better future for everyone (who loves their animation like family) lies in not invoking this triforce in any way, shape, or form....