Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    josie is offline Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

FOX wants to buy Time Warner

Like This Thread!
    Fox made and offer, Time Warner rejected it, but this is just the starts of it.....

[top]Murdoch's Fox made offer to buy Time Warner

Shares of Time Warner soared nearly 15% in premarket trading Wednesday following the news.

A report first published in the New York Times revealed that Murdoch made a bid worth $85 a share in stock and cash in June.
    The bid was rejected.
    The offer is 20% higher than Time Warner's (TWX) stock on Tuesday. The two companies subsequently confirmed that an offer was made and turned down by Time Warner.
    Time Warner said in a statement that the company is "confident that continuing to execute its strategic plan will create significantly more value" for shareholders than any proposal Fox could offer.
    21st Century Fox added in a statement that it is "not currently in any discussions with Time Warner."
    Time Warner owns CNN and CNNMoney. Under terms of the bid, Fox (FOXA) would sell CNN to answer antitrust concerns.
    The Times report mentioned ABC and ESPN owner Walt Disney Co. (DIS) as well as CBS(CBS) as possible suitors for CNN.
    The Times reported that Fox COO Chase Carey (and not Murdoch) reportedly met with Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes to discuss the deal.
    But Time Warner's board reportedly rejected the offer. One of the reasons for the rejection of the offer was that the cash and stock bid involved non-voting shares of 21st Century Fox. The Murdoch family controls the voting Fox shares.
    But the Times suggested that Murdoch was unlikely to drop his plans to take over Time Warner.
    If Fox is able to buy Time Warner, it would hang onto cable networks such as TBS, TNT and premium network HBO, as well as movie studio Warner Bros.
    A deal would combine Time Warner's media brands with the Fox broadcast network, the 21st Century Fox movie studio, and entertainment cable networks such as FX as well as Fox news and Fox Sports 1.
    It would also give the company access to a number of sports rights deals that Time Warner now holds with the NBA, the NCAA basketball tournament and Major League Baseball.
    -- CNN's Cristina Alesci contributed to this report.
    Time Warner shares soar on report of Murdoch bid - Jul. 16, 2014

So if FOX eventually buys Time Warner, what impact could it have on Turner and its channels, specifically CN and Boom?

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It could probably be bigger then anyone may or may not realize. Short term effects would be the Turner channels falling under Fox (who currently doesn't have a family-oriented channel; and no, the three National Geographic channels don't count) ownership along with their current channels such as FX, FXX, and the FX Movie Channel, as well as making the 1960s Batman series much easier to release in the future. Oh yeah, Fox would have it's own comic book company as well, which could lead to the TV show's original characters (i.e., Zelda, Marsha, the Queen of DIamonds, etc.*) appearing in the comics. As for the long term, who can say, really? One possible scenario is Turner no longer existing as a separate entity, as well as the Turner channels' network decay* (especially one network in particular, whose initials are "C.N.") possibly (repeat: possibly) becoming even worse (again, Fox currently doesn't have a family-oriented network [checks Wikipedia]; well, not in the U.S., anyway, so there's no telling what they might do). In any event, all we can do is follow this story and see what happens.

*I know there will be disagreements, but it has to be said: this includes the creation of [adult swim], as well as giving "TV-PG" to shows that really should have been given "TV-Y7". Also, while the Batman comics feature a character called "King Tut", this is because the original "King Tut" (or rather "Tutankhamen") is a public domain figure, meaning DC Comics could create its own "King Tut" character.
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

MadMan400096 is online now World War I Flying Ace
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Shouldn't this be in the Entertainment forum?

Anyway, I doubt this will amount to much. Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox are two of the biggest movie studios in the world, let alone North America. That alone creates a tower of antitrust concerns that could easily reach Mars, leaving no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that the Feds will approve of this.

EDIT: gmster has a thread over there.
    Last edited by MadMan400096; 07-16-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Francisque is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    A similar change could shake up things in Italy and other countries too...
    Here in Italy Turner does a joint venture with Mediaset (a serious Sky competitor) for Boing and some other things, and I doubt they would continue such an operation! A positive thing would be the launch of the HD channel on Sky..
    However I'm afraid of the negative possibilities, like the possibility decay of the schedule

SF4Ever is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMan400096 View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the Entertainment forum?

Anyway, I doubt this will amount to much. Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox are two of the biggest movie studios in the world, let alone North America. That alone creates a tower of antitrust concerns that could easily reach Mars, leaving no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that the Feds will approve of this.
    I agree- it's Grade A horse hockey. We all know Cartoon Network is coming back to it's basics, but Time Warner doesn't need Fox's baggage and you're right, the FCC will not approve of this. At the same time, Time Warner is fine, just as it is, especially when it's in competition with archrival Disney. Fox had better worry about getting its own house in order and forget about acquiring Time Warner, altogether.
    Like it or not, I never apologize for being a fan of whomever they may be.

gmster is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fox is attempting to buy Time Warner

PREVIOUS, 4:39 AM: Time Warner’s up nearly 20% in pre-market trading after The New York Times and CNBC reported that the media giant recently rejected an $80B takeover proposal by Rupert Murdoch‘s 21st Century Fox.

The bid could “put Time Warner in play and might again ignite a reshaping of the media industry,” the Times says. Fox COO Chase Carey met with Time Warner chief Jeff Bewkes in early June offering $85 a share — 40% of it in cash — a 25% premium at the time. The proposal said that the combined companies could save at least $1B by eliminating duplication.

Fox, which owns Fox News, offered to sell CNN to avoid antitrust problems, and indicated that it would maintain Time Warner’s studio and cable network operations, as well as most of its best execs, according to the reports. The Time Warner board seriously considered the proposal but rejected it, in part because the offer included nonvoting shares. Nonetheless, “Rupert Murdoch is ‘determined’ to buy Time Warner,”
    UPDATE. 6:46 AM: Time Warner confirms that it rejected 21st Century Fox‘s acquisition offer saying its board concluded that remaining independent “will create significantly more value for the Company and its stockholders and is superior to any proposal that Twenty-First Century Fox is in a position to offer.”
    UPDATE: Time Warner Shares Soar On Reports Of $80B Offer By Rupert Murdoch - Deadline.com

RegularCapital is online now Melting Pot of Friendship
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SF4Ever View Post

I agree- it's Grade A horse hockey. We all know Cartoon Network is coming back to it's basics, but Time Warner doesn't need Fox's baggage and you're right, the FCC will not approve of this. At the same time, Time Warner is fine, just as it is, especially when it's in competition with archrival Disney. Fox had better worry about getting its own house in order and forget about acquiring Time Warner, altogether.
    This is what I wrote on the CN International thread, I know not many people from the U.S. read the thread, but here's a summary of what I posted:

I doubt it will happen because of EU competition rules and because of Ofcom in the UK, the FCC and the FTC in the U.S.

The British Government has been strict on Sky and blocked a full News Corp merger with BSkyB because of the Phone Hacking scandal and was nearly deemed as a "not a fit and proper broadcaster".

They would also have to sell their shareholding in ITV.

Fox split from News Corp to separate from its controversial newspaper business and then buy Sky Europe.

TimeWarner is getting smaller because of the recent demergers, it's becoming a takeover target.

Is Fox Kids coming back? (It was a channel in Europe)

Checkerboard is online now THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Shouldn't this be prohibited by law? I'm glad the Warners said no.

Goldstar Neo is offline Twins + Ninjas = Twinjas!
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SF4Ever
    We all know Cartoon Network is coming back to it's basics
    How so? No offense, but I really don't see it. The only notable difference that I've seen on Cartoon Network as of late is that CN's execs seem to have cooled on the live action programming, at least for now.

Anyway, I figure that the FCC would never allow such a monopoly to happen. It would like if Disney and Warner Brothers wanted to merge into one super studio.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' twisted take on the world of cartoons and all things geeky.

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If we've learned anything from AOL, it wouldn't work out.

Also, Time Warner is way too big for Fox's britches.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast