Quantcast
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Granted I wasn't even a zygote in the '80s, but from the random episodes I saw, the show doesn't really focus on making fun of the '80s, outside of a jab at hairspray and clothing. Really, the '80s idea is only used as references for the writers. There's a Say Anything parody, the lead kid afraid of Poltergeist as a subplot, and apparently there was an episode inspired by Goonies, and a subplot involving a line for Empire Strikes Back. The show's main focus is the dysfunctional family's dynamic; the creator said he intended the show to be a love letter to his family life. From what I've gathered, you probably won't like it, since it is a single-cam show similar to other ones like The Middle or Wonder Years, but you might like it.
    "Wonder Years", that's a good comparison. Except it's funnier than "Wonder Years". Or maybe it's just a generational thing. When I was a kid, my parents loved watching "The Wonder Years". I didn't get the attraction (with all the 50's and 60's references). But this (and "That 70's Show) are right up my alley...

For the record: Born in the 70's, had a childhood of the 80's, had my teenage years in the 90's....and I just really enjoy these types of nostalgia shows.

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking the thread, but the only new series that sounds interesting to me is "Agent Carter"...

The Toonzone Channel! (The Ultimate Fantasy Schedule List thread)!

And check out the Fun and Games forum for other current games threads!

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked The Wonder Years when I was a kid, but watching it again years later once I got older, it was even better. It's a really great show that gets better with age. You certainly don't need to have grown up in the '60s in order to appreciate it.
    My Blog | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Family Guy, The Flash, Gotham, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Stalker, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

Peter Paltridge is offline It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The Goldbergs is never going to outdo The Wonder Years. It's not as subtle.

It doesn't matter if you weren't there in the 60's; the show has this way of making you feel you were there. That's how you do a "nostalgia" show. No one's gonna top The Wonder Years; they don't know how.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: Forget Five Nights At Freddys....can you survive even ONE night with this Misfit Christmas Special, so Misfit it never even AIRED? Plus a bonus Misfit in Claymation!

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    The Goldbergs is never going to outdo The Wonder Years. It's not as subtle.

It doesn't matter if you weren't there in the 60's; the show has this way of making you feel you were there. That's how you do a "nostalgia" show. No one's gonna top The Wonder Years; they don't know how.
    Well yeah, "Wonder Years" is a lighthearted "make you feel warm inside" show. Goldbergs (and "That 70's Show") are played more for laughs.

The Toonzone Channel! (The Ultimate Fantasy Schedule List thread)!

And check out the Fun and Games forum for other current games threads!

The Talon is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thoughts on a couple more of the ABC trailers.

American Crime: Looks good, but this would be a better fit for something like FX or AMC. It seems like it would be gut-wrenching to watch for someone with kids.

Black-ish: Seems like it's going for a new-age version of the Cosby Show and it's pulling that off pretty well so far. I'm just glad Anthony Anderson is getting sone work again.

Selfie: Ugh. Karen Gillan and John Cho both deserve something a lot better than something like this. Pass.

Manhattan Love Story: Men only are interested in getting laid, women are only interested in shopping. Such an original concept.

How to Get Away with Murder: Outside of Viola Davis, nothing honestly interests me here. I expect it to fit right in with Grey's and Scandal though.

Cristela: Well...... at least it's funnier than Last Man Standing so far.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123