the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Film of the Month" Nominations (for June 2014)

Like This Thread!
    By now the weather is changing for some of us, so we have the option of going outdoors or when returning from there watching some films. So sound off and let us know what you all would enjoy watching either for the very first time or discussing from before.

Reposting founder Wonderfly's rules:
    1). Multiple nominations may be posted, but usually we will count your first nomination only. Any additional nominations beyond your first will only be counted if nominations are lacking for the month.

2). Previous FotM titles cannot be nominated. Other former nominees not selected before now can be re-nominated. To see a complete list of previous titles, please visit the Film Talkback Thread Collection.

As always, any other questions, comments, or suggestions may be discussed here if it's towards improving the selection process in this thread.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'll nominate "On the Beach" (1959) starring Gregory Peck. Because sometimes I like bleak films.

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OK, guys, you really need to update the Film Talkback Thread Collection! :P

Anyways, assuming it hasn't won yet, I'll nominate Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. After all, yesterday was "Star Wars Day".
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

The Talon is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To wash the taste of ASM2 out my mouth, I would like to nominate Spider-Man 2 as film of the month.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy View Post
    OK, guys, you really need to update the Film Talkback Thread Collection! :P
    The link in Greenman's first post above is to the old collection, I have now edited his post to provide the link to the current Film Talkback Collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy
    Anyways, assuming it hasn't won yet, I'll nominate Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. After all, yesterday was "Star Wars Day".
    Quote Originally Posted by The Talon
    To wash the taste of ASM2 out my mouth, I would like to nominate Spider-Man 2 as film of the month.
    It'd be up to Greenman (who currently runs these threads), but it strikes me that the "Anime of the Month" talkbacks have to be "lesser known" animes. I don't want to close off "big hits" completely (I nominated "The Matrix" a couple months back, but that was due to it being the 15th anniversary), and "Superman II" is intriguing to me (it's more than 30 years old by this point), but...Star Wars is in such a league by itself (we've all seen it), and "Spider-Man 2" is just now 10 years old (thus, it's a "recent" mega-hit, in my mind)...

Not that I want to impede on your nominations this time around, but just something to think about for future months going forward (I don't want mega-hits to win all the time, that's all)...if Greenman feels differently, I yield to him, as he's running this now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I don't mind mega hits either so long as it creates discussion. For that Matrix thread it did just that. Right now Gatomon created a Star Wars themed thread. I won't disregard megahits completely because we just got started and regenerating an older blockbuster is no problem. However I ask that if possible, find the older thread and resume discussion.

You might find alot of films have not been created in the film talkback thread, this gives us the opportunity to create a new thread discussion. There are films that are classic and cult classic that are more than 30 years old and others as recent as last year with no thread at all.

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, I understand.

In that case, Ill nominate Rear Window, my favorite Hitchcock film.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I've decided to nominate a film I haven't seen in probably a decade, "In The Heat of the Night". I saw it on TCM in which the host stated it spawned not 1 but 2 sequels. It also pretty much spawned the Blaxploitation film genre. Also, can't beat Quincy Jones score or Ray Charles theme song.

Gatomon41 is offline Digital Cat Rabbit Thing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Call of Cthulhu movie by the HPL Historical Society.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.” - Salvor Hardin, Asimov's Foundation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy View Post
    Ah, I understand.

In that case, Ill nominate Rear Window, my favorite Hitchcock film.
    For the record, Gold Guy, I will take your original nomination of Star Wars this time. I will also take Rear Window.

Also I will take nominations until next Friday the 16th.