Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Daikun's Avatar
    Daikun is online now Long Live the Fighter!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    3,029
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Netflix becomes a TV channel.

    Like This Thread!
    Netflix has reached an agreement with three smaller cable companies that, for the first time, will let U.S. subscribers watch the streaming video service's content as though it were an ordinary cable channel.

    The deal will add Netflix as an app to certain set-top boxes nationwide on RCN, Grande Communications and Atlantic Broadband. It gives subscribers of those companies the ability to watch the Netflix content they would otherwise be able to get only on their PCs, tablets, and phones, or with a third-party set-top box.

    Altogether, the agreement covers as many as 500,000 of the cable firms' existing subscribers -- though that figure could grow as more customers sign up for the offering.

    To get the service when it launches Monday, customers must simultaneously subscribe to one of the three cable companies as well as Netflix itself. In addition, the technology requires a TiVo set-top box provided by the cable companies.
    Full article here.

  2. #2
    RegularCapital's Avatar
    RegularCapital is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Dudley near Birmingham UK
    Posts
    1,508
    Blog Entries
    14
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Interesting that Netflix wants to launch a linear channel, I assume they're doing it to showcase programmes for those who can't decide what to watch. I have a Netflix channel on my cable provider but it's only used to access the Netflix app.

    I also heard a rumour that they are testing Amazon Prime Instant on TiVo boxes in the UK.
    Check out the Cartoon Network International News Thread: Future Schedules, News, Ratings, Promos and Bumpers from all over the world:
    http://www.toonzone.net/forums/carto...ws-thread.html
    Website: http://www.regularcapital.com Twitter: https://twitter.com/RegularTweetsUK

  3. #3
    RandomMe's Avatar
    RandomMe is offline Around and About
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Braga, Portugal
    Posts
    7,760
    Blog Entries
    29
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Netflix launching a channel? That's weird, to me.

  4. #4
    defunctzombie's Avatar
    defunctzombie is offline I have chortles!
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dream Land
    Posts
    6,979
    Blog Entries
    25
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have Atlantic. The tivo thing is new, but I have an old dvr box and no Netflix so I won't be able to test it.
    Stalemate Resolution Associate for Video Games and Cafe Toonzone
    tumblr/Nintendo ID: defunctzombie

  5. #5
    Matt Hazuda's Avatar
    Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Not of your damn business
    Posts
    7,366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RegularCapital View Post
    Interesting that Netflix wants to launch a linear channel, I assume they're doing it to showcase programmes for those who can't decide what to watch. I have a Netflix channel on my cable provider but it's only used to access the Netflix app.

    I also heard a rumour that they are testing Amazon Prime Instant on TiVo boxes in the UK.
    They're not launching a linear channel. All they're doing is having the same option to view Netflix that has been available on Roku, AppleTV, various video game consoles, smart TVs, Chromecast, other streaming devices for ages. The cable companies just want you to rely on them to get to Netflix instead of all those other choices. Basically this is for people who probably are older or don't understand how this would work, so they keep their cable subscriptions and don't cord-cut.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

  6. #6
    RegularCapital's Avatar
    RegularCapital is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Dudley near Birmingham UK
    Posts
    1,508
    Blog Entries
    14
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    They're not launching a linear channel. All they're doing is having the same option to view Netflix that has been available on Roku, AppleTV, various video game consoles, smart TVs, Chromecast, other streaming devices for ages. The cable companies just want you to rely on them to get to Netflix instead of all those other choices. Basically this is for people who probably are older or don't understand how this would work, so they keep their cable subscriptions and don't cord-cut.
    So in other words it's no different to the TiVo Netflix app I'm receiving at present? When I read "ordinary cable channel" I automatically think a channel with a schedule and then the article starts talking about the Netflix app, it's a misleading news article. An app is not a channel.
    Check out the Cartoon Network International News Thread: Future Schedules, News, Ratings, Promos and Bumpers from all over the world:
    http://www.toonzone.net/forums/carto...ws-thread.html
    Website: http://www.regularcapital.com Twitter: https://twitter.com/RegularTweetsUK

  7. #7
    RandomMe's Avatar
    RandomMe is offline Around and About
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Braga, Portugal
    Posts
    7,760
    Blog Entries
    29
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RegularCapital View Post
    So in other words it's no different to the TiVo Netflix app I'm receiving at present? When I read "ordinary cable channel" I automatically think a channel with a schedule and then the article starts talking about the Netflix app, it's a misleading news article. An app is not a channel.
    I also thought that it was an actual channel, not an app.

  8. #8
    WickedChild's Avatar
    WickedChild is offline Kissing the shadows
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's utterly meaningless. They're just agreeing to allow the Netflix app to be launched from their cable-company leased set top boxes. If you already have a Roku or Tivo or any number of gaming consoles, this gives you nothing you don't already have. I suppose the cable companies will try to push this as a big deal, as their in-house set top boxes are notoriously crap, and giving you an actual useful option on them is something for them, but it would be a lot more meaningful if this deal gave subscribers some kind of access to Netflix that others couldn't get.

  9. #9
    defunctzombie's Avatar
    defunctzombie is offline I have chortles!
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dream Land
    Posts
    6,979
    Blog Entries
    25
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ABB just switched to a tivo box. The old setup wasn't crappy, and I still have it. In most of their markets, they're the only option, so they don't overdo it with -residential- advertising. Therefore I don't see at least ABB going into marketing overdrive.
    Stalemate Resolution Associate for Video Games and Cafe Toonzone
    tumblr/Nintendo ID: defunctzombie

  10. #10
    RandomMe's Avatar
    RandomMe is offline Around and About
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Braga, Portugal
    Posts
    7,760
    Blog Entries
    29
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    It seems that the title is a bit misleading to me. It's an app, not a channel!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO