Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

So far, the most interesting and relevant editorial. It's something we've came across - when do we take our fiction too seriously or too far? How do we let it affect our lives?

Really, it hits hard because like many, I've always wanted to live in a fictional world. There's a great temptation to just live in a fantasy and ignore reality. But as the Critic points out, that's not a way to live a life.
    He is Risen.

"Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd disagree with the stance seemingly expressed in the video that Patch Adams is a more egregious butchering of a true story than Pocahontas. Patch Adams is a worse movie, but it's only misrepresenting one man, his profession and his friends, whereas Pocahontas is misrepresenting a nation that faced genocide, so yeah, as far as things to get righteously angry about, I think the latter's a bit more important.
    I'm a writer at a new Boston blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/
    I also directed this short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2ruy_z9io

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HG Revolution View Post
    I'd disagree with the stance seemingly expressed in the video that Patch Adams is a more egregious butchering of a true story than Pocahontas. Patch Adams is a worse movie, but it's only misrepresenting one man, his profession and his friends, whereas Pocahontas is misrepresenting a nation that faced genocide, so yeah, as far as things to get righteously angry about, I think the latter's a bit more important.
    I definitely agree with that. I haven't seen Patch Adams in a long time, but I don't think that misrepresenting one person is worse than misrepresenting what the Native Americans went through. That doesn't really seem like it would be even on the same level. Maybe he thought that those would be the easiest examples to go with, but I think that there are a lot more reasons to be upset with how Pocahontas depicts Native Americans and the whole conflict with the settlers than there are with Patch Adams.

Darklordavaitor is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    New One Hit Wonderland for Todd- "How Bizarre" by OMC. I've actually had this song in my head for a while lately, so I think it's a good choice.

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow, this guy REALLY hates Aeon Flux.
    I've never seen it, so I have no opinion.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

zoombie is offline Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In the latest Cinema Snob episode, Brad parodies the vlogs. Hillarous, I am sure it is all and good fun.

Hitler's Harlot

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklordavaitor View Post
    New One Hit Wonderland for Todd- "How Bizarre" by OMC. I've actually had this song in my head for a while lately, so I think it's a good choice.
    I can only remember the chorus to the song, but it was an interesting look at the band's history and a nice cameo from Suede.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    Wow, this guy REALLY hates Aeon Flux.
    I've never seen it, so I have no opinion.
    I've never seen the show or the shorts myself, but I could kind of tell that he hated it after his last review. I didn't expect him to burn it at the end though.

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw the Aeon Flux shorts on MTV's Liquid Television. They weren't favorites of mine, but I didn't hate them either. The shorts were slick looking but I couldn't follow what was going on. I only caught a single episode of the series, again, couldn't make or tails out of it, so I never watched it again.

I've never heard of "How Bizarre" before Todd's review, it was interesting nonetheless. Nice cameo by Suede.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've never seen Pocahontas, so how was it?
    He is Risen.

"Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

CoolEric158 is offline Sibling Rivalry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thinking of something to write down.

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolEric158 View Post
    Every third illustration uploaded to Deviantart is an Elsa or an Anna now. I suppose it's better than every third illustration being a pony.

Makes me wonder what the Internet would have looked like if it was in its current form when Little Mermaid came out. We would've been drowning in "Part Of Your World" covers.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    Every third illustration uploaded to Deviantart is an Elsa or an Anna now.
    And every tenth one is Elsa x Jack Frost crack shipping.

Conroy reviews Family Guy
    (Last episode)

Anyone00 is offline The Moltar-Snork
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Favorite bit: when he asked for something else and 'not that'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    And every tenth one is Elsa x Jack Frost crack shipping.
    Better than all the Elsa x Anna shipping.
    Joris: Your story makes me want to have a little brother, Papycha. Isn't that weird?
    Kerubim: Don't worry, Jojo. You have your whole life to meet new brothers. Some you will choose, others will ruin your life, and others still will make it worth living...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    I've never seen Pocahontas, so how was it?
    It's basically a Romeo and Juliet kind of romance with Pocahontas and John Smith set during when settlers landed onto Jamestown and both of them look like Baribe and Ken respectively. It also glosses over the whole nation of Native Americans losing their land and the genocide in favor of romance in both movies actually. At least the sequel did mention for kids to look up the real Pocahontas at their local library, which they should have done with the first movie too. The music has held up well and I still get a bit sad at the ending, but I wouldn't say it's one of the better Disney movies. Patch Adams is a worse movie, but in terms of misrepresentation, I would say that Pocahontas giving a really romance version of Native American culture and glossing over their genocide is far worse.

As for the parody song, I thought it was pretty funny. I'm one of the few people who didn't see Frozen, so I haven't seen that many covers of its song. I've heard of it, along with the Snowman line, but it's fairly easy to avoid if you don't want to see it. I should check the movie out sometime after it comes on DVD.

Classic Speedy is offline It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This was probably explained somewhere on TGWTG or hidden in some video that I didn't watch, but why no new NC review this week?

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Speedy View Post
    This was probably explained somewhere on TGWTG or hidden in some video that I didn't watch, but why no new NC review this week?
    It's been pushed back to next week due to an illness. It didn't say who was sick on the site, but I'm guessing it was either Doug himself (he was fighting a sore throat during the Sibling Rivalry review on The Lego Movie, so maybe he's got a cold or a virus) or maybe Malcolm, since he didn't appear in the Frozen parody video.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope this means that we'll get two NC reviews in a row in lieu of another editorial after this next review.

I doubt it, but I hope.

HellCat is offline Travelling hero
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The issue I take with the video- is anyone forcing Doug or anyone else to watch these things? Yeah, Frozen and Let It Go are getting ALOT of love right now, but the internet is massive. I use YouTube alot and I've been able to avoid these videos just fine. Someone elsewhere commented every so often Doug comes off as a bit hipster and I think this might be one of those ocassions.

Plus a Let It Go cover about there being too many Let It Go covers....I'm not sure if that's intentionally clever or a huge mixed message.

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HellCat
    The issue I take with the video- is anyone forcing Doug or anyone else to watch these things? Yeah, Frozen and Let It Go are getting ALOT of love right now, but the internet is massive. I use YouTube alot and I've been able to avoid these videos just fine. Someone elsewhere commented every so often Doug comes off as a bit hipster and I think this might be one of those ocassions.

Plus a Let It Go cover about there being too many Let It Go covers....I'm not sure if that's intentionally clever or a huge mixed message.
    It's intentional. On Facebook he's said he LIKES these videos, he's just making fun of how many of them there are.
    I'm a writer at a new Boston blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/
    I also directed this short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2ruy_z9io

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Todd takes on the "return" of Jason DeRulooooo.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast