Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    The Penguin is offline Moderator of Fowl Play
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" 2014 Talkback

Like This Thread!

This thread will not be a long-running one as Jay Leno will end his run on The Tonight Show (again) this February. Whether with sadness or glee, your chance to start to say good-bye to Jay starts in just a few minutes.

Monday, Jan 6, 2014
    Louis C.K.
    Senator John McCain & Meghan McCain
    Plain White T's

Tuesday, Jan 7, 2014
    Mark Wahlberg
    Jeff Foxworthy
    Salaam Remi featuring Akon

Wednesday, Jan 8, 2014
    Steve Carell
    Kathryn Hahn
    Jake Clemons

Thursday, Jan 9, 2014
    Leslie Mann
    David Koechner
    Vince Gill with special guest Paul Franklin

Friday, Jan 10, 2014
    Kevin Bacon
    Sherri Shepherd
    Mary Lambert

NBC.com - Tonight Show
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gonna try to watch as many episodes as I can. Not much time left.

Shame on NBC for again forcing a change when one isn't needed (I've really enjoyed all the anti-NBC jokes Jay's been pulling out for months now), but I feel like Fallon is much more Tonight Show material than Conan ever was.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Currently Watching: Arrow, Bates Motel, The Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Unforgettable.

veemonjosh is online now The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's Jay's final week, so I'm kicking this thread back up.

Monday, February 3, 2014
    Guests: Jimmy Fallon, Betty White
    Musical Guest: Bonnie Raitt

Tuesday, February 4, 2014
    Guests: Matthew McConaughey, Charles Barkley
    Musical Guest: Lyle Lovett

Wednesday, February 5, 2014
    Guests: Sandra Bullock, Blake Shelton
    Musical Guest: Vintage Trouble

Thursday, February 6, 2014
    Guest: Billy Crystal
    Musical Guest: Garth Brooks
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Compared to last week's line-up, this will be a great week of guests. I'll be DVRing the final episode. I enjoyed last week's retrospective segments -- Best of Jaywalking, Best of Kids (so cool they brought that one kid back to sing with the band) -- and am looking forward to seeing what other Best Ofs they show this week. I'm hoping to see clips from some of my favorite old sketches, such as Blackjack, Iron Jay, Mr. Brain and Beyondo!
    Currently Watching: Arrow, Bates Motel, The Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Unforgettable.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So Thursday night is his final show? And Jimmy Fallon doesn't start till after the Olympics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, Jay's final show in this Thursday, and Fallon will premiere on Monday, February 17.

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Major deja vu with Billy Crystal as one of the last guests. He was also one of the last guests the first time Leno quit. Wonder if he'll sing another medley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He was also Jay's very first guest back in 1992.

veemonjosh is online now The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, tonight was Jay Leno's last show.

Definitely a heartfelt farewell with tons of great surprise cameos, and by the end of it even Jay was in tears. A great endcap to his 22 year career in talk shows.

Sadly, the only thing missing was a surprise appearance by Kevin Eubanks, but Jay at least acknowledged Eubanks' absence.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Besides Kevin, I was also hoping to see Edd Hall and Branford Marsalis. But it was a good finale with some nice cameos, especially Carol Burnett, and I liked Jimmy Fallon's sincere tribute and thank you at the end of the advice sketch.

My parents had Johnny Carson, I had Jay Leno. I was 13 when he started, so I grew up with him, and I got choked up during the closing monologue. (As I also did last night during Sandra Bullock's wonderful tribute.) It was a great two decades of laughs. I'm gonna miss him.

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I haven't watched Leno in years (aside from whenever I visit my parents), but I decided to watch last night's finale because it's television history. It was a nice send-off, but felt really short for some reason.

Anyone else find it odd that Leno was making current event jokes even in his final show? Remarks about Bieber and the Sochi Olympics are going to date this episode a tad, when in my mind a finale should have a timeless feel.

I liked the montage of making fun of politicians. It could've been a bit longer, honestly.

The montage of people telling Leno what he might do now that he's done with the show was amusing, especially Leno in drag, Bob Costas drinking whiskey, and Mark Wahlberg saying (paraphrased), "What do I care? Why are you asking me this? He's a grown man, he can decide for himself."

I was right that Billy Crystal would parody another song, although I didn't expect the various guest stars.

Leno's final thank you was okay but Conan's final speech on Tonight Show resonated with me more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually thought the sketch of celebrity advice could have been a lot better. I thought many of the bits fell flat, probably because of the people delivering them (Olivia Wilde? Martha Stewart? Bob Costas?!), but some of the best ones were from Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, Jimmy Fallon and the bit with Tyler Perry.

As for his farewell speech, I thought it was very good. Nothing too big; just a very sincere and simple thank you and remembrance of the last two decades, and for someone like me who's always been a Leno fan, it was very emotional to watch.

PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't normally stay up late on work nights, but for Jay's final show, I gladly made an exception. I too grew up watching the guy off and on, and watched him religiously for the last three or four years of his run. See ya, Jay. We had fun.

I thought it was amusing how his band leader Rickey Minor didn't say one word throughout the whole show. He leaves The Tonight Show as he came: with a pathetic whimper.

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien