View Poll Results: What was the best Comic Book Movie of 2013?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iron Man 3

7 31.82%
  • Man of Steel

6 27.27%
  • The Wolverine

1 4.55%
  • Thor: The Dark World

8 36.36%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Stu
    Stu is offline Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedChild
    The best Superhero movie of this year or any year was of course Man of Steel. Dark Knight is the only thing that even comes close, and it might slightly edge it only because of Ledger. But MoS basically went further and achieved more than pretty much every Marvel movie combined.
    How? By achieving significantly less than either The Avengers or Iron Man Three? Being less well received than either of the above, or the original Iron Man and Thor movies? The majority of Superman fans were opposed to how Superman was translated. How is this better than every Marvel movie combined?

I don't know if it's just a DC bias your posting, but Man of Steel was worlds away from the quality of Nolan's Batman trilogy and Marvel's best efforts.
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

WickedChild is offline Kissing the shadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    How? By achieving significantly less than either The Avengers or Iron Man Three? Being less well received than either of the above, or the original Iron Man and Thor movies? The majority of Superman fans were opposed to how Superman was translated. How is this better than every Marvel movie combined?

I don't know if it's just a DC bias your posting, but Man of Steel was worlds away from the quality of Nolan's Batman trilogy and Marvel's best efforts.
    I consider the extreme polarity of reaction to it a sign of greatness, not weakness. To have so many Superman fans have such an incendiary reaction proves that they were willing to push the story to unseen depths. That's a good thing if you like great movies. Maybe not a good thing for a lifetime Superman fan who wants his Superman movies to only show what he already knows about Superman. But why would I care what those people want? Just about every other comic book movie (Marvel Studios) is made just for them.

RoryWilliams is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Iron Man 3 with The Wolverine in a close second. Man of Steel doesn't even rank for me and I didn't bother with Kick-Ass 2.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So I saw Thor: The Dark World today. It was excellent. Now I would rank them like this:

Iron Man 3
    Kick-Ass 2/Thor: The Dark World tie (Because they are both great except for a couple of flaws. Kick-Ass 2 was watered down a bit too much from the comics, Thor was addicted to plot contrivances and coincidences)
    The Wolverine
    Man of Steel way at the bottom
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Convoy Rat is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedChild View Post
    I consider the extreme polarity of reaction to it a sign of greatness, not weakness. To have so many Superman fans have such an incendiary reaction proves that they were willing to push the story to unseen depths. That's a good thing if you like great movies. Maybe not a good thing for a lifetime Superman fan who wants his Superman movies to only show what he already knows about Superman. But why would I care what those people want? Just about every other comic book movie (Marvel Studios) is made just for them.
    Uh, no. Polarized reaction is not good. If there are just as many complaining as there are praising the movie, that means half the audience wasn't satisfied.

Dr. Daedalus is online now I'm WikiBear!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Are you implying that the only ones who hated the film were diehard Superman fans? Because if so, that's incorrect.

Tohya is offline deficit omne quod nasciture
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I consider the extreme polarity of reaction to it a sign of greatness, not weakness.
    You shouldnt say things that can be easily turned around on you or worse yet, used against you so easily. Heres the problem with what your saying. If extreme polarity is a sign of its greatness than are you suggesting that its only great because so many people (people being Superman fans) disliked it? What if MoS didnt have such extreme polarity, what if it had been universally loved and made a billion dollars would its greatness somehow lessen? Or would you undoubtedly considered it the greatest CBM of all time or somewhere along those lines? But than if thats the case wouldn't you be admitting that Avengers is one of best CBM since its actually the one that made absurd money and was universally loved by its fans? Would your same logic apply if Avengers had been the movie that came out to average reviews and did not as expected at the box office? Would you have argued that if Avengers had been one of those "you either hate it or love it" movies and had an incredibly incendiary reaction from its fan base that it would actually be a sign of a great movie? If none of that made any sense its because i was trying to make sense out of nonsense because thats exactly what you spouting here. If you thought MoS was a great movie than great but why do you feel the need to qualify it? Forget the fact that it makes you look incredibly transparent but is also make you seem like something akin to a sore loser.

Anyways it was Thor for me and Iron Man a close second. Wolverine was third with Man of Steel a distant fourth.
    "If that's what it means to be wise, I guess that means I'll be fool all my life" - Naruto, after Jiraiya has told him to wise up and give up on his friend.

The Dork Knight is offline The saddles do what now?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I only saw Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel this year, so I'll have to go with Iron Man 3. It made up quite a bit for Iron Man 2 and I honestly loved DAT PLOT TWIST.

Man of Steel on the other hand, I really did not care for at all. To be honest, I'm sick of this approach to DC superhero movies. Almost everyone in the films has little to no personality, the color scheme that they use for the films seems so drab and lifeless, and there's no heart.

WickedChild is offline Kissing the shadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tohya View Post
    You shouldnt say things that can be easily turned around on you or worse yet, used against you so easily. Heres the problem with what your saying. If extreme polarity is a sign of its greatness than are you suggesting that its only great because so many people (people being Superman fans) disliked it?
    Huh? How do you equate those 2 statements? Being a sign of greatness is not the same as being a cause of greatness. You're implying that I'm trolling by saying "it's good because Superman fans hated it". I said nothing of the sort. I said that the extreme reactions (on both sides) are a SIGN that it was great because it implies that it went so far and took bigger risks which caused such reactions. Of course there are great movies that are widely loved. But usually those are films that are not highly anticipated and become surprise hits. No, not always but a lot of the time. And honestly, I don't think Avengers was as beloved as you think it was. Yes, it made a ton of money and was more widely received than MoS, but there are a lot of people like me out there who only saw it as "just ok", but we're not as loud as comic book fans who feel spurned. Conversely, I don't know too many people in the middle on MoS. It took risks, which I thought paid off. What risks did Avengers take? It's about as safe a movie as I've ever seen. Very well made, but ultimately nothing that we haven't seen.

And furthermore you need to quit implying that MoS was some kind of bomb or huge BO disappointment. I'm pretty sure they were happy with the returns, or else why fast track the sequel? Also, maybe you should quit giving me advice on how to handle myself in a conversation, as clearly you're the one who can't grasp simple statements before forming an entire response around a false equivalency.

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    I only saw Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel this year, so I'll have to go with Iron Man 3. It made up quite a bit for Iron Man 2 and I honestly loved DAT PLOT TWIST.

Man of Steel on the other hand, I really did not care for at all. To be honest, I'm sick of this approach to DC superhero movies. Almost everyone in the films has little to no personality, the color scheme that they use for the films seems so drab and lifeless, and there's no heart.
    I think that's WB's fault. Nolan created a dark realistic portrayal of Batman, but that doesn't mean every single superhero franchise must be like that. I do not believe they have a clue about the characters or keeping the integrity of the character. In the wrong hands you would have Captain Amercia in the Confederate flag costume, and I mean c'mon. WB really needs someone who knows the character of Superman. Kevin Smith and Ben Affleck should be interesting to just give input, and it depends on how this next film does. I kinda hope Smith puts some of his famous dialogue in the film.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast