View Poll Results: "Thor: The Dark World" - Rate and Discuss!

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll

1 14.29%
  • ****1/2

4 57.14%

1 14.29%
  • ***1/2

1 14.29%

0 0%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    the greenman is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Saw this today, and right now it stands next to the Wolverine as my favorite CBM's of the year. Very fun time, and the push toward both the Infinity gems and Avengers 2 is excellent.

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was a good movie, but the plot was paper-thin and barely existent. The villain was incredibly one-dimensional and the Macguffin was basically a different version of the Tesseract. I'll probably wait until Blu-ray before checking this out again. This movie did show that Loki is by far the best villain in the Disney Marvel movies so far and I am genuinely curious how the third Thor will move ahead with him as the likely bad-guy. They don't want to overexpose Loki but he's a pretty great badguy, better than the badguys in the Iron Man, Captain America, and Hulk movies. My favorite moments of the film involved his hilarious take on Captain America and the great reveal at the end of the film that he has taken Odin's place on the throne.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The plot and villain seemed very much in line with sequel villains, especially Guillermo Del Toro sequel villains. Look at Blade 2 and Hellboy 2, and then look at this film. A long-forgotten foe of a maligned race or faction returns with a vengeance. So, I kinda took it as just that. It pretty much is supposed to be 1-dimensional for that very reason, so they can concentrate on character interaction and depth. That is what a sequel should offer, it's the middle ground of a series. I like very much that the villains were of an anti-matter dimension cause this is what Thanos will be after to please his love Death. Also, I think they are going to save the dimension of the After World for Dr. Strange, cause we know that they clearly meant to kill Loki, but if they do things correctly he will go to the Netherworld differently. I believe they will give him a love interest, either in (Amora) Enchantress or someone else, who knows.

Also, am I wrong, or did Executioner have a little cameo? It sure looked like a guy that could pass for him. He was the guy that Kurse pushed in the shield of the prison cell when he escaped.

reflection is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You can add Transformers 2 and Iron Man 2 and Cap 2 to that list as well.

Loki and Enchantress would be fantastic.

BigFatHairyDeal is online now Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw this movie this past Sunday. I liked it, and I had fun, but the last act seemed to be awfully haphazard with the devices and the converging worlds. Not a bad movie at all, but toward the climax my general thought was "meh, at least the first two-thirds was good."

Surprised to see people liked The Wolverine. It would've been a total bust for me without some nice landscape shots.

Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Saw it today, and I thought it was fun. Yeah, I agree that Jane Foster was a little boring. I mean she's the first mortal to enter Asgard, and she didn't seem overly shocked by it in the least. She was more intrigued then, "OMG THIS IS SO COOL I'M ON ANOTHER WORLD WHOA!!"
    Malekith was one dimensional I admit, but I didn't really expect a lot of depth or much from him at all. I don't know the character that well outside from his appearance in Avengers: EMH.
    Odin was kind of a jerk in this. Almost unfairly so, I almost don't mind that Loki replaced him. Loki was amazing in this movie, and I wouldn't mind seeing him again in the future.
    Action was great, final scene with the teleporting battles were fun. A whole lot of surprises. Darcy was hilarious. Good fun movie that I managed to enjoy just as much as Iron Man 3, if slightly more so.
    One thing I enjoyed during the battle scene was Mjornir was on its way up into space to get to Thor, only to turn back when he returned to Earth. I thought that was fun. Just as fun as seeing Thor take the subway!
    And what are they going to do with that Frost Giant monster? I hope he appears again!
    Fun movie!

Team Teen

Cartoon heroes unite!

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Did they ever explain - were the "Nine Worlds" different planets around the galaxy (with the Rainbow Bridge being a Marvel Universe "Stargate"), or are those different dimensions? I mean, the Dark Elves have a planet, but it existed "before the universe"? What, is their planet at the center of the universe (where the Marvel Universe's "Big Bang" occurred?). Or is the Dark Elves world (and by extension, the Frost Giants' world) set in a different reality/dimension?

I mean, can the Guardians of the Galaxy take a starship from Asgard to Earth? Or is the only way possible the Rainbow Stargate Bridge?

Oh, and why was such a big fuss made about the destruction of the Rainbow bridge at the end of the first film (with Thor supposedly "never going to be able to see Jane again") if it only takes a couple years to fix it? Granted, they were nice and ambiguous in Avengers (with Thor stating they had to expel a lot of energy to get him to Earth). Loki's teaming up with the Chitauri - when he fell at the end of the first Thor film, did he fall into another dimension, or to the Chitauri's homeworld (which is in this universe)? Is the Chitauri's homeworld one of the "Nine Realms"?

I need some comic book logic for the premise of the "Nine Worlds"! I had really hoped this film would've explained things better...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post
    Did they ever explain - were the "Nine Worlds" different planets around the galaxy (with the Rainbow Bridge being a Marvel Universe "Stargate"), or are those different dimensions? I mean, the Dark Elves have a planet, but it existed "before the universe"? What, is their planet at the center of the universe (where the Marvel Universe's "Big Bang" occurred?). Or is the Dark Elves world (and by extension, the Frost Giants' world) set in a different reality/dimension?

I mean, can the Guardians of the Galaxy take a starship from Asgard to Earth? Or is the only way possible the Rainbow Stargate Bridge?

Oh, and why was such a big fuss made about the destruction of the Rainbow bridge at the end of the first film (with Thor supposedly "never going to be able to see Jane again") if it only takes a couple years to fix it? Granted, they were nice and ambiguous in Avengers (with Thor stating they had to expel a lot of energy to get him to Earth). Loki's teaming up with the Chitauri - when he fell at the end of the first Thor film, did he fall into another dimension, or to the Chitauri's homeworld (which is in this universe)? Is the Chitauri's homeworld one of the "Nine Realms"?

I need some comic book logic for the premise of the "Nine Worlds"! I had really hoped this film would've explained things better...
    I had seldom chances to read Kirby's Thor but if you're a DCAU fan take it like the Fourth World of new gods like Darkseid. Meaning its so far away from us, it can never be physically reached in anyone millennium by our standards. I read Simonson's Thor which this film makes some references to with the look. Also showing us outerspace sets up Beta Ray Bill and the fact they became less immortal means these are planets, I.e. like Fourth World. This might be a Chris Yost contribution influenced by Simonson and Kirby blending both science fiction and fantasy.

Yojimbo is offline Keep kicking, Libby! #GBII25
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Another easter egg spotted in the mid-teaser? Be awesome if it's true!
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: July 8, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So the Tesseract and the Ether or Infinity Stones or some such. According to Wikipedia, the Tesseract is the Space Gem. So what does that make The Ether?

Team Teen

Cartoon heroes unite!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast