Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    the greenman is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Film of the Month" Nominations (for December 2013)

Like This Thread!

We are now here at the end of the year. The Holiday season is in full bloom. So, suggest whatever you think you guys feel to see before the year is out. Don't forget that nominations also go for films that are in theaters that may not get a talkback thread. I will email James Harvey or someone if it's okay.

There are plenty of Christmas films out there, and also New Years Eve, so choose your heart desires. I wouldn't mind you guys picking some unconventional thoughts on your picks, might make me consider watching something different than the normal traditional stuff.

So, I will obviously keep this thread up until around November 1st due to holidays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I've been thinking of what I wanted to revisit or see for the first time. I know I want to pick one non-tradition and one really that might slide by. So I think I need a little more time to figure out whatever. Besides I know I want to see what you guys have in mind that will change my mind.

DarkAngel is offline Lord Vader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the greenman View Post
    Well, I've been thinking of what I wanted to revisit or see for the first time. I know I want to pick one non-tradition and one really that might slide by. So I think I need a little more time to figure out whatever. Besides I know I want to see what you guys have in mind that will change my mind.
    This time of year, I'm usually starting to think of movies that are outright, or kinda/sorta, Christmas themed. A few thoughts:

Batman Returns: I'm a huge Batman fan, love this movie, and its set near Christmas.
    Polar Express: Seens this a couple times, and its become a recent season favorite I try to catch each year.
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: Haven't seen it, but heard its set during the Xmas period and is a fun movie.
    Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale - Saw this last year, and though I didn't think it was brilliant, it was a different take on the legend of Santa, something different.

Again, I know its doesn't have to be Xmas related, but I get in that mindset approaching December.
    There are many ingredients in the stew of annoyance.
    --Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    This time of year, I'm usually starting to think of movies that are outright, or kinda/sorta, Christmas themed. A few thoughts:

Batman Returns: I'm a huge Batman fan, love this movie, and its set near Christmas.
    Polar Express: Seens this a couple times, and its become a recent season favorite I try to catch each year.
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: Haven't seen it, but heard its set during the Xmas period and is a fun movie.
    Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale - Saw this last year, and though I didn't think it was brilliant, it was a different take on the legend of Santa, something different.

Again, I know its doesn't have to be Xmas related, but I get in that mindset approaching December.

Well. I will take the first film on your list, unless we get no more between now and next Friday.

Mine for now, is not Meet John Doe. Which can be seen as a companion piece to Capra's later triumph with It's a Wonderful Life. So, any other noms please feel free to post your thoughts.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm going to nominate the original "Lethal Weapon". Hey, it's set around Christmas!

I wonder how many younger folks around here have even seen it...it's a 80's classic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well the nominations end on Friday the 15th and I'll open the selection thread probably on Saturday or next week.

So, I will nominate one more Shane Black film since he is all about Christmas with The Long Kiss Goodnight. Haven't seen it in ages.

defunctzombie is online now Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Muppet Christmas Carol.

Besides being uber-cool on the Muppet factor alone, it's considered to be one of, if not the most, faithful renditions of the book. And with the flood of CC themed movies out there, it wouldn't hurt to show a good example.
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

cartoonscartoons is offline I cant help it, if I'm lucky
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defunctzombie View Post
    The Muppet Christmas Carol.

Besides being uber-cool on the Muppet factor alone, it's considered to be one of, if not the most, faithful renditions of the book. And with the flood of CC themed movies out there, it wouldn't hurt to show a good example.
    Why not John Denver and The Muppets? That's awful Christmassy.

But, on a serious note, I nominate The Graduate.

defunctzombie is online now Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sure, but is it easy to get for those who want to watch? Not a lot of Muppet fare is online.
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, so today is the last day for nominations. I just realized we can't use one nomination with "Polar Express" as it animation.

As for John Denver and the Muppets, if it can be found on Netflix or Amazon, then it's fine. My question is was there one John Denver Muppets Christmas film or two? Cause I looked and it seems like two, idk.