Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    The Penguin is offline Moderator of Fowl Play
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Brooklyn Nine-Nine" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

No one else has initiated it, but I have to see if anyone is watching FOX's Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I checked it out and up against S.H.I.E.L.D. and The Originals, I was expecting (perhaps hoping) not to like it as much as I did, but for as long as its on (FOX has ordered additional scripts), I have to say I'm hooked. Episode five is airing right now at 8:30 p.m. ET.

'Like' Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Facebook
    'Follow' Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Twitter

From Emmy Award-winning writer/producers Dan Goor and Michael Schur ("Parks and Recreation"), and starring Emmy Award winners Andy Samberg ("Saturday Night Live") and Andre Braugher ("Men of a Certain Age," "Homicide: Life on the Street"), BROOKLYN NINE-NINE is a new single-camera ensemble comedy about what happens when a talented, but carefree, detective and his diverse group of colleagues get a new captain with a lot to prove.

Detective JAKE PERALTA (Samberg) is gifted enough that he's never had to work too hard or follow the rules too closely. Perhaps because he has the best arrest record among his colleagues, he's been enabled - if not indulged - throughout his entire career. That is, until the precinct gets a new commanding officer, Captain RAY HOLT (Braugher).

Captain Holt believes in rules and regulations, two concepts that have long been overlooked by the detectives in the 99th precinct. Jake's colleagues are a brilliant and capable bunch, but lack a certain level of discipline and leadership. They compete with each other, annoy each other, gossip and flirt, but at the end of the day, they have each other's backs.

As the precinct's honorary straight arrow, Detective AMY SANTIAGO (Melissa Fumero, "One Life to Live," "Gossip Girl") is thrilled with the leadership change. Having grown up with seven brothers, Amy is extremely competitive - about everything. She is hell-bent on collaring more criminals than Jake, and she's keenly aware of how many arrests she needs to close the gap. Holt's next-in-command is Sergeant TERRY JEFFORDS (Terry Crews, "Bridesmaids," "Everybody Hates Chris"), a linebacker of a man who's lost his nerve after his wife had twin baby girls - Cagney and Lacey - and he lives in fear of not seeing them grow up.

Also working cases in Brooklyn's 99th is Detective CHARLES BOYLE (Joe Lo Truglio, "Wreck-It Ralph," "Superbad"), who idolizes Jake and is the precinct's workhorse; he's not brilliant, he's not physically gifted, but he tries harder than anyone else. Charles pines for the vocally opinionated Detective ROSA DIAZ (Stephanie Beatriz, "Modern Family," "The Closer"), with whom he stands no chance at all. Rosa is simultaneously tough, sexy and scary as hell. Meddling in everyone's affairs is GINA LINETTI (Chelsea Peretti, "Parks and Recreation," "Kroll Show"), the eccentric and self-absorbed civilian office manager.

Together, they interrogate suspects, arrest perps and solve murders. But, ultimately, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE is a workplace comedy that's not really about the job. It's about the men and women behind the badge - singing karaoke, grabbing a beer, and dabbling in each other's personal lives - all while protecting the fine people of Brooklyn.

BROOKLYN NINE-NINE is produced by Universal Television, 3 Arts Entertainment and Fremulon. The series is created and written by Dan Goor ("Parks and Recreation," "Late Night with Conan O'Brien") and Michael Schur ("Parks and Recreation," "The Office"). The series is executive-produced by Goor, Schur and David Miner ("30 Rock"). The pilot was directed by the team of Phil Lord and Chris Miller ("21 Jump Street," "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs").

Tonight's episode...

"The Vulture"
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 @ 8:30 p.m. ET/7:30 CT on FOX
    "THE VULTURE" SWOOPS DOWN ON THE 99th PRECINCT ON AN ALL-NEW "BROOKLYN NINE-NINE" TUESDAY, OCTOBER 15, ON FOX

Dean Winters ("30 Rock," "Oz") Guest-Stars

"The Vulture," a detective (guest star Dean Winters) from Special Crimes, takes over Jake's nearly solved murder case and steals his thunder. Over a few drinks, Jake enlists the precinct to get revenge and find the murder weapon before "The Vulture" does. Across town, Captain Holt and Gina help Terry get re-certified to carry a gun.

FOX.com/BrooklynNine-Nine
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Halloween" October 22, 2013

Aww, so no one then? Well if you change your mind, FOX has picked up the series for a full season. New episode right now.

I am just finding the show to be a lot of fun. I already liked Andy Samberg and the supporting cast of characters are a great combination. Before I saw it, I wondered if you could make a comedy about cops in the world of procedurals and it works much better than I had expected. I sometimes watch the episodes on my computer in the break room at work (headphones of course) and I often laugh out loud at it. I would not say it is the same, but the quick-wit, flashback cutaways and colorful background characters remind me a bit of 30 Rock.

I also want to point out this excellent article about the show's diversity. I actually hadn't thought about it (aside from Holt's entertaining 'gay reveal' in the pilot), but that is pretty much the article's point.

"Halloween"
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 @ 8:30 p.m. ET/7:30 CT on FOX
    HALLOWEEN HITS THE 99TH PRECINCT ON AN ALL-NEW "BROOKLYN NINE-NINE" TUESDAY, OCTOBER 22, ON FOX

It's Halloween night, a busy time of the year for any police precinct. Amy detests the holiday, and is not thrilled when she has to don a costume to go undercover on street patrol with Charles. Back at the precinct, Jake bets Captain Holt that he can steal his Medal of Valor before midnight, which results in him bringing out some costumes of his own.
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

Dragonpiece is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's ok, not terrible, and the vulture episode was a step in the right direction, but I feel like the show is still trying too find it's place at the moment. I'm sure by mid season or if there is a season 2, things may get better.
    Huge comics fan,anime reviewer,animation watcher, I help run a Toonami site(you can follow it on Twitter @ToonamiNews)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"The Bet" January 14, 2014

If a show needs to have won two major awards and/or be given the prime post-Super Bowl spot before you'll check it out, then now is the time to start watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Previously announced as the show FOX will air after Super Bowl XLVIII, the new series is now a two-time Golden Globe winner for Best TV Series, Musical or Comedy and Best Actor in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy (Andy Samberg).

"The Bet"
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 @ 8:30 p.m. ET/7:30 CT on FOX
    AMY AND JAKE SETTLE THEIR BET ON AN ALL-NEW "BROOKLYN NINE-NINE" TUESDAY, JANUARY 14, ON FOX

Craig Robinson Guest-Stars

Jake and Amy's ongoing bet about who can make more arrests comes to a close. Meanwhile, Charles receives the Medal of Valor for getting shot in the line of duty, but the pain medication he is taking causes him to reveal his true opinions about his colleagues.

CoolEric158 is offline Sibling Rivalry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm surprised the show won the awards, but in a way, I think it deserves it; this is probably my highlight of the year; every episode I've seen has at least one thing incredibly well-done about it, whether it be the twists and turns, the gags, the deadpan of Baugher and more. I admit I haven't seen the creators' other works, but either way this is by far the best new comedy of the season, and I'll be watching tonight for sure.
    Thinking of something to write down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Operation: Broken Feather" February 2, 2014

Two-time Golden Globe winner Brooklyn Nine-Nine airs as the second half of FOX's double dose of comedy following Super Bowl XLVIII. Officially scheduled at 11 p.m. ET, catch this all-new episode after New Girl.

This Tuesday, Brooklyn Nine-Nine moves back an hour to its new regular time, 9:30 p.m. ET on FOX.

"Operation: Broken Feather"
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 @ 11:00 p.m. ET/10:00 CT on FOX
    JAKE AND AMY TAKE DOWN A HOTEL THIEF ON AN ALL-NEW SPECIAL EPISODE OF "BROOKLYN NINE-NINE" SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 2, ON FOX - AIRING ON A SPECIAL DAY AND TIME

Fred Armisen, Dean Winters and Joe Thiesmann Guest-Star / Please set extra time on your DVRs due to the approximate nature of Live Sporting Events preceding the show

Jake and Amy investigate a string of hotel robberies together, but Jake turns on her when he finds out she may leave the Nine-Nine to work in the Special Crimes unit with "The Vulture" (guest star Dean Winters). Meanwhile Captain Holt and Sergeant Jeffords strategize to make the precinct more efficient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"The Party" February 4, 2014

Following its big Super Bowl episode, Brooklyn Nine-Nine moves back an hour on Tuesdays. Catch the second new episode this week at 9:30 p.m. ET on FOX.

"The Party"
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 @ 9:30 p.m. ET/8:30 CT on FOX
    CAPTAIN HOLT INVITES THE PRECINCT TO HIS HOUSE FOR A PARTY ON AN ALL-NEW "BROOKLYN NINE-NINE" TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 4, ON FOX

The officers in the precinct head over to Holt's house to celebrate his birthday, but they wind up making a poor impression on his husband.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This episode wasn't one of the best, but it was still fun. I do love seeing Gina everytime she's on screen, and this was no exception, and Boyle with the food expert was just amazing, and I love how people thought Scully and Hitchcock were gay at the party. (Weird, because out of all the couples in this show, these two work the best, and yet it isn't canon or obviously going to happen (*COUGH*Jake and Amy*COUGH*)) Either way, this was an entertaining episode overall.

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't feel like Jake and ANYBODY would be a good match. He has no sensitive side whatsoever -- it's all ego.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My issue isn't that he has no sensitive side, my issue is that after "The Bet" I don't think, I KNOW, that Jake and Amy will be stuck in one of my least favorite TV tropes "Will they, Won't they?" The worst part is those two do work somewhat. Both have a passion for being cops after all; it just they'll pointlessly drag it out, and then get married later on. Ugh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Am I the only one who loves how great Scully is as an obvious expository character?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Charges and Specs" Season Finale March 25, 2014

It's the season finale of Brooklyn Nine-Nine tonight at 9:30 p.m. ET on FOX. And we'll see you back here next season for season two!

"Charges and Specs" - Season Finale
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 @ 9:30 p.m. ET/8:30 CT on FOX
    JAKE IS FIRED FROM THE NYPD ON THE ALL-NEW SEASON FINALE OF "BROOKLYN NINE-NINE" TUESDAY, MARCH 25, ON FOX

Jake's investigation of philanthropic civic leader Lucas Wint (guest star Ian Roberts) is shut down by Commissioner Podalski (guest star James M. Connor). Still determined to crack the case, Jake enlists Amy and a reluctant Captain Holt to help him uncover more evidence, even if it means facing suspension. Meanwhile, Charles is devastated over pre-marital problems with Vivian, and Gina knows just how to cheer him up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I forgot about this thread. Anyway, might as well give my final thoughts this season:
    This series had a very strong start, and is probably my favorite new comedy this season. I was already in love with Andy Samberg and Terry Crews, so I already was excited to see it, and it didn't disappoint. What makes this work is all of these quirky characters being thrown. I loved Jake's manchild and lazy ways, as it is like looking in a mirror for me, Amy was funny as an overachiever, Boyle's awkwardness and femininity and Rosa's butch nature was hilarious, Gina's creepiness and delivery was always fun to see, Terry as an obsessed bodybuilder was funny, Hitchcock and Scully were terrific funny old guys, and Captain Holt was a perfect foil, and it is nice to see a gay character that doesn't act overtly feminine, unlike other shows (*cough*Modern Family*cough*).

But, there were issues. There were a lot of jokes that just didn't hit, whether it did gross-out jokes, or just weren't funny. And I don't like how they're going the "Will they, won't they?" route for Jake and Amy, and Boyle and Rosa (and speaking of Boyle, poor guy). And while it's not that bad since Samberg and Fumero have great chemistry together, it'll still be really annoying if they drag this out for many seasons. But this show still really impressed me, and I'm excited for Season 2 to see where Jake, Boyle, and the rest of the gang go.