Quantcast
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    James is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    I don't entirely agree. This is a 50th anniversary of one of Britain's biggest institutions, and I think this is the one year where the show's past should be as important, if not more so, as its future. Doctor Who is a progressive show and I would always put going forward to looking back as its priority, but for such a massive achievement, I think its roots and directions are something that should have been embraced with far more enthusiasm. What we saw in the finale was more about Clara and her relevance to the Doctor than a celebration of the show. It's a show with glorious, diverse and fascinating background, I can understand why people, and I guess myself to some degree, would find the 50th year feeling a little more underwhelming in terms of celebration of its history, with the extended media's being left to pick up those pieces.

Dark Knight Adventures 10th Anniversary Special
    - it's back!
    Twittering Jim - Twitter
    JamesMcLean.net - James' website
    "I turned to Aunt Agatha, whose demeanour was now rather like that of one who, picking daisies on the railway, has just caught the down express in the small of the back."

HellCat is offline Have a Parfait Christmas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To my mind I really don't see why the focus shouldn't be on both past and future. That's kind of been a motif of anniversaries past though with this milestone it's particularly important. Moffat shying away from that actually surprises me since the whole point of Silence in the Library was to tell us that the Doctor is an amazing man with an amazing life but it's what he's yet to do that will really impress us.

In retrospect making that claim was probably a mistake on Moffat's part. I loved his first season but beyond that his heart hasn't really seemed to be in it. I know RTD got alot of flack for doing finales which everyone ignores the following season but Moffat's just as guilty for doing massive time paradoxes/"The stars are going out". I can really respect his desire to shake things up (me and others were complaining about the repeated formula as early as mid-season 2) but in practice it comes off more as him desperately trying to make his creations the most important part of mythologies. Moffat's created one character who is now the Doctor's wife and another without whom the key events in all his past adventures would have fallen apart. At times it feels Moffat is far more invested in his own creations than the title character.

I do think there's something to be said for how the overall production has been handled. RTD had a power trio going on with Gardner and Colinson, resulting in a well oiled machine. Poor Moffat seems to have a different exec producer each season and from what little we've seen their emotional involvement with the show usually seems nil as they treat it as another step on the ladder of a BBC career. The guy seemingly has had to steer the ship himself without support or seemingly anyone to tell him maybe an idea isn't that great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    San Diego Comic Con got to show an exclusive trailer for the 50th, causing enough upset with British and international fans that the BBC had to give a brief response.

This isn't the first time this has happened (SDCC got a trailer for The End of Time months in advance) but I can understand the anger given my already stated grievances. Comic Con exclusives are well known but this one...I think a comment I read elsewhere summed it up, that this has probably pissed British fans off because we've seen so little for the ocassion over here and there's been a very obvious attempt to sell the show to America since about 2011. It's not been non-existant prior but now it definitely seems to be a clear objective.

It's a messy situation because I know how it feels to be an overseas fan of a country's flagship sci-fi brand. I'm a Gundam fan and have to import things/hope someone translates, so the rare times the rights holders throw foreign fans a bone are appreciated. I can well imagine there are Doctor Who fans in other countries who feel left out with various things so I really can sympathise.
    At the same time, this just feels like another kick from a 'celebration' that has done very little in the shows homeland. I think even making this an SDCC exclusive for a day or two and then putting it online for fans everywhere would have helped. The bluntness of the BBC's response doesn't help things- BBC - Help & Feedback - Corrections and Clarifications

James is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's funny - and its not SDCC fault - but it has become a bit of a ridiculous relevant to entertainment. It's got to the point where the industry seems fixated on Comic Con for the simple fact the industry is fixated on Comic Con. If you're not doing an exclusive at SDCC then you have no exclusive, which itself becomes a bit looney as it means everyone's trying to do an exclusive at Comic Con which of course means less chance of a spotlight for attention. Of course like I said, this isn't SDCC fault, and there's no doubt the media is interested in SDCC but it seems less so this year perhaps, internationally speaking. The Doctor Who exclusive at Comic Con seemed to be done simply because... well, that's what the industry does. Doctor Who trailer should have got at international release. Given this is the 50th, which isn't just a big deal for television in terms of duration, but a celebration of the BBC, it does seem the BBC has just given way to this industry fixation on Comic Con rather than giving itself, and its license payers the celebration the show and the country deserves.

That being said, yes, SDCC is publicity, so I wouldn't say not doing something special for comic con would be silly, even if the fact you seem obliged to these days, does. A different trailer, or a special one would have worked. Or if it HAD to be premiered there, it should have been ready for British - or even international release day later.

I have no qualms with a trailer being an international release, I certainly don't believe that Doctor Who is a British exclusive fandom, but I think with the BBC being license paid, and that its a British institution and a success, the BBC should have felt that the best showcase for the 50th would start at home. That's what national icons tend to do. If they'd decided on it being released at the same time home AND abroad, again, no issue there too. It's not to trump overseas, I just feel that as a national celebration we should have been part of that moment, and not a few thousand people at Comic Con, which really has become so big because its only a couple hour lazy drive for Hollywood and its publicity machine. Doctor Who isn't a nerd show, its demographic success and money comes from family entertainment, and as a British product and celebration of British television, trailer should have at least respected those two factors as priority.

Dark Knight Adventures 10th Anniversary Special
    - it's back!
    Twittering Jim - Twitter
    JamesMcLean.net - James' website
    "I turned to Aunt Agatha, whose demeanour was now rather like that of one who, picking daisies on the railway, has just caught the down express in the small of the back."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interestingly, the Radio Times have ran an article criticising that the announcement of the found Troughton episodes was swiftly followed by putting them up for sale- Doctor Who missing episodes should be free to watch on TV in the 50th anniversary year | Radio Times

I'm not sure I can fully agree though I think that's because at this point I've come to accept the whole anniversary is basically merchandise driven. Barely any actual story but a ton of merchandise with '50 YEARS!' slapped on it, so the idea the BBC would sell these rather than include them as a free airing as part of the celebration seems par the course for the whole affair. It's hard to look at something as a celebration when all it's been is BBC Worldwide coming up with creative tat to sell whilst minimal new fiction is produced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12