Darklordavaitor is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Toonzone Film of the Month Club (June 2013): "TRON" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

TRON

"I shouldn't have written all of those tank programs."

Release Date: July 9, 1982
    Studio: Disney
    Director: Steven Lisberger
    Aspect Ratio: 2.35 : 1
    Starring: Jeff Bridges, Bruce Boxleitner, David Warner

"A dazzling movie from Walt Disney in which computers have been used to make themselves romantic and glamorous. Here's a technological sound-and-light show that is sensational and brainy, stylish, and fun." - Roger Ebert (Chicago Sun-Times, 1982)

Welcome to this month's choice for our Film of the Month Club! You have the whole of the month to watch, or rewatch, the film and chime in with your comments on it. wonderfly, the main man behind this and our other clubs, will be on later tonight to help with this and our Book and Comic Book of the Month Clubs, but for now, I'm here to set up this club.

If you need a way to view this film, I'd like to remind you that it is able to rent ion Netflix at your own will. If you don't have Netflix, you can buy the DVD or rent an instant stream from Amazon.

Feel free to start discussion on the film when you can!

As for me, while I can't say that I was a fan of the movie the first time I saw it, I do feel that Disney's live-action department has always been overlooked, and with this being one of its higher-regarded productions, I am willing to give it another chance. I can also use the DMR points, so I might just buy a copy of the Blu-Ray, unless I cheap out and just go to Netflix. I'll get back to you.
    My blog! Currently reviewing every How I Met Your Mother episode, as well as the odd album review or two

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No poll? Or is there usually not one?
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy View Post
    No poll? Or is there usually not one?
    No, we haven't usually been doing polls. This is the "Film of the Month" discussion thread for June, it'll eventually be merged with the already existing talkback thread.

The Toonzone Channel! (The Ultimate Fantasy Schedule List thread)!

And check out the Fun and Games forum for other current games threads!

Gatomon41 is offline Deo confidimus.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, with a terrible stuff going around in the world, it's nice to have such an uplifting movie for once. TRON is one of those movies SF geeks just love - it feels great, help shaped special effects and cyberspace, and it has the Dude and Capt. John Sheridan.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.” - Salvor Hardin, Asimov's Foundation.

Pro vita quad spes.

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like Tron. I think some parts haven't aged well, and I prefer Legacy, but the first film is campy fun with a neat premise. I found the villain to be more funny than creepy, but I saw the film when I was older.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, so I was able to watch this this week. I'm not going to get Legacy until they do the third film.

One thing about TRON that has to be kept in perspective is, it is a Disney film. It also is kinda hybid similar to Roger Rabbit, so the acting is going to be slightly stunted. I loved TRON as a kid and even had the Intellivision videogame. Interestingly, I remember a billboard for the film above a local arcade of mine when I was growing up in NYC called Pinky's. The billboard was kinda in the same position as the Space Paranoids one in the film. Anyways, Jeff Bridges has always been a favorite of mine, and in this one, even though he doesn't know it, he was playing Steve Jobs. The "religion" they reference in the film was important, and as one of the commentators brought it, raised the film a notch. This was basically The Matrix BETA version. I still kinda wish David Cronenberg would do a film about the internet; it would complete a trilogy of his with Videodrome and Exentez. I think they realized Flynn was Jobs when in Legacy they had him become this Buddhist Zen guru, which Jobs was closely associated with. You gotta be impressed with the special effects in the film, and how they utilized the animation with the live action. The rumor is, Yori may return in the next sequel, which would be interesting.

Miyamoto Musashi is offline Sword Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like Flynn's arcade store idea, and then him owning the big company he got fired from later in the movie
    As for "the biggest door I've ever seen" quote,
    Spoiler:
    it's given a really nice "like father, like son" touch to it in the sequel
    Blogger
    Humans are the most peculiar of the living creatures
    Nowdays I can hardly be surprised
    I like Tobey Maguire more than Andrew Garfield in the role of Spider-Man