Quantcast
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Toonzone Sci-Fi/Fantasy Reading Group Book 4: "Ender's Game" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Ender's Game
    Written by Orson Scott Card

"It's the teachers, they're the enemy. They get us to fight each other, to hate each other."

"Card has taken the venerable sf concepts of a superman and interstellar war against aliens, and, with superb characterization, pacing, and language, combined them into a seamless story of compelling power. This is Card at the height of his very considerable powers - a major SF novel by any reasonable standards."
    - Booklist

Welcome to the Week 1 of reading "Ender's Game". Discussion will be confined to the Introduction and Chapters 1 thru 4. Every chapter beyond that should not be discussed until next week.

Comments?!

The Toonzone Channel! (The Ultimate Fantasy Schedule List thread)!

And check out the Fun and Games forum for other current games threads!

Darklordavaitor is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    GREAT book. I never was able to get around to reading the rest of the series, though. I'll try to look for a collection and I'll reread the first with you guys before delving into the sequels.
    My blog! Currently reviewing every How I Met Your Mother episode, as well as the odd album review or two

Gatomon41 is offline Deo confidimus.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have to say this of the cover art (which is the same as mine own copy): That is so beautiful

It may or may not have anything to do with the book, but it communicates awe enough to attract the reader.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create.
    ” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Talk about fast paced, Card's narrative flows fast and smoothly. While it lacks detailed descriptions of the environment, the author targets what he wants the characters to understand: the characters, what they live with, and what will change. The narrative never slows.

The first chapters set up the stage, presenting Ender. Already we thrown in how different his world is from ours: The world is under threat and the world is authoritarian, and mankind endangered.

We also see Ender's life. For a story about kids, it get's pretty violent and cruel. Ender can really kick butt if he wanted to, but also seems conflicted. He doubts himself, have issues with his siblings, he's always thinking about his actions. Ender is strange, isolated, and gifted...all the traits of a science fiction hero.

“Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create.
    ” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One knows the future is in a bad spot if you have to train officers since they were elementary kids.

” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

Aquadementia is online now Santa makes a jailbreak
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Chapters 1-4
    Just picked it up and it reads pretty easy.

If Ender showed anything it's that he knows how to finish a fight.

They seem to credit their victory in the last war entirely to military tactics.
    With all the effort they put into looking for the next great leader I wonder how well they are cultivating talent in other areas.
    Maybe military genius is something that can be drilled into you at an isolated academy, but to be a genius in the field of science or statesmanship need to grow free range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    One knows the future is in a bad spot if you have to train officers since they were elementary kids.
    Identifying talent early is one thing. Sticking a kid in a career path early can make them hate it, especially when they are removed from their families without so much as a Christmas vacation.
    But what really comes off desperate is how they monitor their brains to pick out good candidates.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Sorry, I meant to refresh this topic last night, but got busy.

Non-spoiler post!

"Ender's Game" Week 2!

Welcome to the 2nd week of discussion for this book. Discussion can now be expanded to cover Chapters 5 thru 7, as well as continued discussion from Week 1. Everything beyond Chapter 7 is spoilers and should not be discussed yet!

NOTE: I'm only up to Chapter 3 myself, but I've read this before (twice!), and it's all a refresher course for me. Still, I suspect we're all behind, so I will not update this thread again next Monday. Instead, we'll do "Week 3" two Mondays from now! Maybe by then we'll be ready to discuss Chapters 8 and 9 for Week 3! And maybe by then we'll hear from some people that haven't joined in to the discussion yet!

But for now, so what do you guys think so far?!?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So as I mentioned previously, I've read this book twice. Not to date myself, but if I recall right, the first time was around 8th or 9th grade, around 1990 or 91. Or it may have been 7th grade around '89. For the record, those were also the years when I first read "Lord of the Rings" AND all of the "Chronicles of Narnia". Good, good times, all around. The second time I read it was shortly after high school ended, around '95 or '96. So that's been over 15 years ago now, but I'm finding that I still remember this novel distinctly.

This was the 1st time I ever read the intro by the writer, by the way, but as was discussed in the intro, while this was a novel written for adults, you'd be surprised at how many kids loved this book! I would say that for the last half of the 80's and the early 90's, I think this was the book of a generation. It's no wonder that it came in at 3rd place on the list of "Top 100 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books of All Time!"

I won't say too much more yet, but to my young "fantasy/video game" loving mind, Chapter 5 of this novel is where things really started to pick up, for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Recent affairs have keep me from getting on the computer and posting, or reading for that matter. But I'm almost done with the book. I'll post what I think latter.

” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Sorry, I should've updated this last week...as it stands now, I'll update this for this week AND last week.

Non-spoiler post!

"Ender's Game" Week 3 and 4!

Welcome to the 3rd (and 4th) week of discussion for this book. Discussion can now be expanded to cover Chapters 8 through 11, as well as continued discussion from Weeks 1 and 2. Everything beyond Chapter 11 is spoilers and should not be discussed yet!

So what do you guys think so far?!?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast